Cafe Racer Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Theres big money in shipping old Japanese, British, and American motorcycles over to Japan and selling them there. A combination of scarcity due to use, disposable income, and models that were just never sold/suoer rare there (ex. Kawasaki Z1 vs. Z2)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I still have my GS750 looking for a new home....

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Administrator
27 Posts
So, if you are hunting for a running bike in relatively good condition you need to slide you hunting budget up quite a bit. If you are just looking for a non running project in relatively good cosmetic condition you should only pay roughly $1 to $1.50 a CC. I have bought MANY non running projects with these pricing guidelines in place. They are out there, you just need to keep hunting. Suzuki's have not held their value like Kaw's and Honda's have. Bonus for those of us who prefer them. Not so much those trying to sell them, LOL. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Or put that engine in a golf cart

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
1982 kz440a
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Or put that engine in a golf cart
This was one of those 3 goldwings for $1,000 deals (literally) and it took all 3 to make one complete bike and the whole point was so my wife could sit on that queen seat like some kind of fancy lady and after ALL THAT WORK I hate it... it's like you have a honda civic in your crotch scalding your shins and it just feels heavy and sloppy and dangerous and you are riding the most over-engineered vehicle on two wheels. Sure, sport bikes are complex, they have lots of plumbing and etc. But this thing...... there are approximately 349 vacuum lines and when the stator takes a shit and you have to pull the motor to replace it...... you might as well be working on a cadillac.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
randakks cycle shack has done some AWESOME goldwing modifications.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The passenger is called the Monkey, pretty cool eh :cool: a motorcycle where the passenger has to do way more then the pilot.
I wouldn't be in the pub with a bunch of sidecar folks and start calling the passenger the monkey. At least not when they all have a heat on. Not unless they are very close pals or your track shoes are warmed up. Have a few close friends who race outfits here in the states (also have done a few stints at the TT; enough where there's a right hand spot just before the Ramsey hairpin that we call "Christine's Garden" for reasons that will remain unmentioned) and calling the passenger the "MONKEY" is not shall we say proper. No affront intended just a note from hanging with these folks.
Cheers

·
Registered
314 Posts
lol If I was in a pub with a bunch of sidecar folks, I probably would not be in north america any more.
I just know that the term has come and gone and is now kinda a slur so I thought I'd pass it along. By the way I really love the cars. There's some real off the wall engineering (KTM at this years TT with double chains to drive the wheel for example) and just seeing how the teams work together. Sadly I think that we'll not see the cars at the TT again. We we're in the last event for cars at Pikes Peak and after what happened this year at Ago's I fear the promoters will put a finish to them racing the TT also.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i know people in uscra and ahrma that refer to them as “monkey”. even the drivers do. ive seen posts that say “monkey wanted”. big als son is a monkey and a good one at that. never heard or seen any thing written where a person took offence at being called a monkey, maybe because i race with amatures where things are more relaxed and people are not so uptight

·
Registered
314 Posts
i know people in uscra and ahrma that refer to them as “monkey”. even the drivers do. ive seen posts that say “monkey wanted”. big als son is a monkey and a good one at that. never heard or seen any thing written where a person took offence at being called a monkey, maybe because i race with amatures where things are more relaxed and people are not so uptight
All I know was last time we were at the TT we were at a pub in Douglas and it was myself who said Monkey when referring to the passenger and I was corrected. Could have been one pint to many but all the same I have since refereed to them as passengers not Monkeys. Then again Christine is Wade's wife so that may have also been part of it. Wade's new passenger (Christine has become too busy with her business) is his mate Eric and he's too big to insult so I'll stick with what's safe.
By the way one of our friends, in fact the one who we stay with when at the TT lives on Bray Hill right at Ago's. We are going to hold off for a week or so before checking in with her. Can you imagine having both those crashes at your front door ? Last time I was there we broke our solo and were waiting for a spare bit so we could't go out for two days. I would sit and have my coffee on her lawn resting my cup between sips on the wall right at Ago's. Glad as hell I wasn't there this year. One good thing that Covid did was keep us in the USA.
Cheers

61 - 80 of 86 Posts