Cafe Racer Forum banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
All I know was last time we were at the TT we were at a pub in Douglas ...
Douglas as in the city of Douglas in the Isle of Man ? :LOL: Like I said, must not still be in north america and if I'm at the Isle of Man I wouldn't be wasting my time in a pub.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Douglas as in the city of Douglas in the Isle of Man ? :LOL: Like I said, must not still be in north america and if I'm at the Isle of Man I wouldn't be wasting my time in a pub.
[/QUOT)
wasting time in a pub, now how could that be a waste ?:unsure:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I wouldn't be in the pub with a bunch of sidecar folks and start calling the passenger the monkey. At least not when they all have a heat on. Not unless they are very close pals or your track shoes are warmed up. Have a few close friends who race outfits here in the states (also have done a few stints at the TT; enough where there's a right hand spot just before the Ramsey hairpin that we call "Christine's Garden" for reasons that will remain unmentioned) and calling the passenger the "MONKEY" is not shall we say proper. No affront intended just a note from hanging with these folks.
Cheers
I would and have been in the paddock with them plenty. But that's in the US at vintage events.

My son "monkeys" on a vintage Triumph rig and we are putting one together to run as a father/son team.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would and have been in the paddock with them plenty. But that's in the US at vintage events.

My son "monkeys" on a vintage Triumph rig and we are putting one together to run as a father/son team.
I have a friend that was just at this years TT. I'm in hopes that he has pics of the KTM and how they have put together the drive chains. I pinged him that if he did to send them my way and if he does I'll pass them along. If I understand what he told me this is all about getting the rig still lower because they are getting air and this causes lift. So far it just sounds like a really cool set-up but like all new engineering we'll need to wait to see if it works. I'm the one who is sort of in charge of all the solos while Wade and Eric do the outfits but those things have always been interesting and some of the rigs are amazing.
Sad what a train wreak the TT for sidecars was this year (no pun), Coming from car racing (four wheel kind) lift is always a problem. It's mostly been controlled now but still can bite you on the ass. I sure wish I could see a good video of the Ago crashes from this year. I know that spot very well and lift could really be an issue I think.
We have been talking about getting a new outfit for Wade and Ickabod (Eric) even spent time back and forth with some of the UK builders but the rules and engine choices are driving me nuts. I feels as if picking a power plant to race in the States will conflict with what we could run overseas and those engines would not be allowed to race in the TT. It's a lot of money so since the plague I've sort of put everything on hold. If you have any in-put or thoughts please pass it along.
Right now I'm trying to get a pair of GS1100's (Classic Superbike done as early '80's Wes Cooley World Endurance style) and two bikes for the smaller vintage classes going so we can get some races in this year with a eye on doing the Phillips Island Classic again next year (that's if they even let us in the country).
The boys have also mentioned the Tombstone (I think it's called) in New Zealand, held right after the PI Classic. Mostly it's about the elevation in international shipping costs and TAS which is not only long but unpredictable.
Anyway you sound as if you and your son are involved in both vintage bikes (Solos and Outfits) and you also live at least in the same country so please feel free to get,keep or start being in touch. I have retired from 40 years racing, building and managing automobiles and now I have focused on what has alway been my real passion.................MOTORBIKE AND THE FOOLS THAT RIDE THEM. There was always a bike in my garage but I never had the chance (BALLS) to race one except for a few Barstow to Vegas races when the bikes were steam powered.
Cheers and keep in touch.

Rich

81 - 86 of 86 Posts