Cafe Racer Forum banner

401 - 420 of 438 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Why not have a "Tanshanomi" badge 3D printed that you can stick on over the Can-am?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Why not have a "Tanshanomi" badge 3D printed that you can stick on over the Can-am?
The whole point of going with this plastic tank was perceived ease. After all my struggles against rusty, leaky, flaky old steel on my CL125S tank, and all the horror stories of what modern fuels do to fiberglass, I was really hoping to just have something I could slap on and go. At this point, that ship has sailed.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Plastic tank, if it has bumps you might be able to fill them with the same stuff you repair ski's with! P-tex I think it was called.

Vinyl wrap covers a multitude of sins.

.... & I think it needs a long tank :cool:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #404

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #406 (Edited)
:cool: can we link pictures from pipe burnt or will it blow up :rolleyes:

Interestingly, we had Mark Atkinson on the podcast to talk about Alpha right after he acquired the Model 199 Sherpa [EDIT: No, it's a 350 Alpina] that he used for this build. We talked about what I was trying to do with my Bultaco, and he later said that my project was the inspiration for the direction he went with that bike. (Although I want my bike to have a usable front brake, a decent amount of trail, and a muffled exhaust.)

False Neutral #43 – Alpha Makr with Mark Atkinson

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I firmly believe you could build anything out of a Bultaco motor.

... but obviously it would be even better if you used a Montesa motor :cool:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #408 (Edited)
I firmly believe you could build anything out of a Bultaco motor.

... but obviously it would be even better if you used a Montesa motor :cool:
Yup, they made one stone-axe simple design do it all. While the rest of the world was transfixed by a proliferation of multi-cylinders, cams, valves and gimmicks, these Spaniards stuck with this one dirt-simple engine, using just three basic moving parts: a crank, a rod, and a piston. It wasn't that they lacked sophistication. They were among the first to use solid-state ignition; they were among the first to pioneer modern long-travel forks and shocks. At the same time, they proved that the ultimate sophistication is simplicity.

They made simplicity work like no one else. Think of it. To cover the speed/performance spectrum from trials (0 to 15 mph) to full-on roadracing (100-plus mph) you'd expect a manufacturer to have several specialized engine designs. Senor Bulto built just one.

– Lane Campbell
"Bul Stories" — Rider magazine January, 1981

This article was one of the reasons I became a Bultaco fanboi almost 40 years ago. Read the full text HERE.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Had a friend that fitted a reed valve and Mikuni carb on his Bultaco trials bike,
it actually did seem to improve the power delivery for what that is worth. No top end improvement, mostly midrange.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
Probably not what you're after but there are loads of new A65 tanks listed on Uk ebay. They all seem to come from India though.
Might be worth a punt. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-A65-Spitfire-Hornet-2-Gallon-Red-And-White-Painted-Gas-Fuel-Petrol-Tank/133259087123?hash=item1f06dc4d13:g:TdcAAOSwkYZd5LI6
Yeah, there are the '71-'73 style on there, too, for about $250. Given what originals are going for, I will probably do that. Unfortunately, I have read both good results and horror stories from buying tanks from India. Evidently, most of the tanks are actually made in places like Kyrgyzstan or Tajikistan. :eek:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123888236756

s-l600.jpg

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #417
You won't like the logo, it's a fibreglass tank, but the shape would work really good with it:

I don't want to mess with fiberglass; I want the freedom to use modern ethanol fuel in a pinch. Otherwise I'd just grab an old Pursang tank for cheap.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
Seat bump stop looks too far forward, but I have fairly long legs and you're the one that has to ride it :cool:
I plopped my behind on it the other night and grabbed the bars. And I think you may be right. In any case, there's plenty of room there to play with. That's one more reason the Reed-Titan seat will be a good choice.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #419 (Edited)
I picked up the cylinder from a Model 213 Alpina 350 off E-bay, which fits my M143 360 Frontera bottom end. The Alpina motor is mildly ported, and is very torquey, making peak power at just 5500 RPM.

I'd picked up a Husqvarna 125 cylinder head about 2 years go, just in case I might be able to adopt (i.e., "steal") the Husqvarna concentric combustion chamber mod developed by Aussie "Snarlyjohn" John Miller, down in NSW. There's definitely machine work needed to make it fit, but nothing too major or scary.

JohnMiller-snarlyjohn-Metralla.jpg
[John's Metralla, with Husky head installed.]

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
I have also purchased a new Airtech Reed-Titan seat base, and a used BSA OIF export tank, but they haven't arrived yet. Both of them should be here by the end of January. The tank is rusted, dented, bondo'ed and frankly pretty crappy-looking. We'll have to see if it is worth using once it gets here, but I was equally nervous about spending twice as much on a new knockoff tank from India. Time to get a big electrolysis tank going, I guess!

401 - 420 of 438 Posts