Cafe Racer Forum banner

461 - 480 of 514 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
The more I look at the bike with that tank, the more convinced I am that the seat pan needs to be upolstered with a 1980s superbike bustleback to it. I really want that period vibe.

Anyone looking for a pair of the Bultaco's one that needs to be cleaned up the other needs to be just rode. There's a nice lady French teacher who lives in northern California with a pair left in a garage by her late husband, See bikes for sale.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #463 (Edited)
The footpeg mounts are complete. I decided that my original approach of two parallel plates with a big, fat spacer between them was kludgy and over-complicated. I realized that the only reason I designed them that way was my hesitation about bending the inboard plates. The whole point of this project is to practice my fabrication skills, so I took the plates to the hydraulic press and went at 'em. Getting everything properly aligned and in plane took a bit, but I eventually got them sorted. I then had to do some additional surgery to make room for the brake and shift lever mounting nuts. They aren't exactly beautiful, but they're better than the earlier configuration and they're mighty strong.

The next tasks are hooking up the shift lever and brake lever so they actually do something. I will also work on getting the bodywork solidly mounted. There's a 2-stroke meet in my neighborhood about 3-1/2 weeks from now. I'd like to get things assembled as best I can and display it as an in-progress project. The whole pile of junk is starting to look a bit like a motorcycle!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
You're getting so close!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, I've made some good progress lately, but there is still a monumental amount of work ahead of me!
Tanshonomi, Like the brackets nice work and I especially like the use of flat head allen screws to mount the things to the chassis. Nice touch and starting to look "FACTORY" very cool.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I agree on the seat, that the superbike finish would look good. Maybe even with a band/grab bar accent at the back along the line of the Kawasaki's

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
Tanshonomi, Like the brackets nice work and I especially like the use of flat head allen screws to mount the things to the chassis. Nice touch and starting to look "FACTORY" very cool.
Thanks, but trust me — nothing on this bike looks anywhere near “factory“!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I agree, the footpegs look like they would come from the factory like that or at least someone's factory. Nicely done.
Wouldn't hesitate to stand on those things and jump.

BTW, those steel plates bend like butter with a little heat but then you have to repaint.

Looks like the seat pan needs to be 4 inches shorter, but then the fender would need to be extended back...

Like in your pic

Nice progress!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nevermind, I see what you are going for in the ZRX picture
I too see where he's going. For me the balance with things such as that is to make certain that the fender arch and the wheel/tire arches line up. There in is the balance. I also will admit that I have a hard time on my own projects when the colors are not the same really getting the feel for how it all comes together. As far as getting things to look like they came from the factory that way the real trick is in the last 15% of the work. That is the hard part because it's all about the fine file and sandpaper part of the job. When the edges of the brackets are filed and polished it will all look perf.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was thinking the same
Go for it
Yes in deed ! That gives it a far better perspective. I would bob the rear cowl of the seat at an angle to match either the front or rear of the seat or fuel tank. That wee bit of tail that hangs below everything else looks....................well like it hangs below everything else................Why ? One other purely aesthetic observation the giant black seat is a mite overwhelming on a motorbike of that size that will never accommodate a passenger weighing over 5 kilos.....LOL.......just saying.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a Kawasaki AR fairing in the rafters that might be just the addition this thing needs.

View attachment 103504
I have a Kawasaki AR fairing in the rafters that might be just the addition this thing needs.

View attachment 103504
Do like the more abbreviated look of the seat on the twin and really think that, that 1/4 fairing will be the biz. I would fine some little signals so they'll go with the little motorbike but that fairing should look great.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
One of these fairings might look okay....
LEMANSI-78.jpg

461 - 480 of 514 Posts