Cafe Racer Forum banner

481 - 500 of 568 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also have a Nisa Swiftline fairing off a Moto Morini. Not sure how this would work, but I might dig it out of my parts stash and size it up.

View attachment 103508
I also have a Nisa Swiftline fairing off a Moto Morini. Not sure how this would work, but I might dig it out of my parts stash and size it up.

View attachment 103508

View attachment 103508
I'm afraid that this one may overwhelm the little lady. Kind of like Twiggy trying to wear Bette Midler's Academy Awards Gown. If'n it twas me I'd first go with the one you showed us on the early Triumph or the one Steveo shot you. Then my next choice would be the white one you had there that looks like it came off a mid-'80's Suzuki GS 750. I think you either need to go with the period look (thing London, Ace Cafe off to do the TON) or modern vintage with USD forks,Mono Shock,mag wheels and full aero fairing. In between always looks ..................

View attachment 103508

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
I gave the AR80 quarter fairing a trial fitting. It's about the right size, but it really doesn't work with the raised bars, even mounted as high as possible (note its location relative to the lower triple clamp). It really would need clip-ons to look right, and I'm more interested in comfortable ergonomics. I might have to dig out the Nisa Swift Line and give it a try. If that doesn't look right, I will probably just leave it naked.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The squareness of the Nisa will go better with the tank.
I see what you mean about the bars they are pretty high at that. If you are not worrying about the total Cafe look then less wind with the larger fairing is probably the best bet. As a side note; in the real old days before clip-ons the guys used cafe bars that fit into the bar clamp but swoop down and are positioned like clip-ons. That's if you ever want to chase the look.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
I see what you mean about the bars they are pretty high at that. If you are not worrying about the total Cafe look then less wind with the larger fairing is probably the best bet. As a side note; in the real old days before clip-ons the guys used cafe bars that fit into the bar clamp but swoop down and are positioned like clip-ons. That's if you ever want to chase the look.
I've had clubman bars on bikes in the past. I'm not interested in that extreme a riding position. Besides, tubular bars are not an option on this bike. The fork tubes extend too far past the top triple clamp.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've had clubman bars on bikes in the past. I'm not interested in that extreme a riding position. Besides, tubular bars are not an option on this bike. The fork tubes extend too far past the top triple clamp.

View attachment 103536

View attachment 103536
Wow that is a lot of fork tube above the top yoke. At least you have plenty rake to play with. Considering how much HP the little lady puts out aren't you a wee bit worried about wind resistance and such in regards to you potential top speed ?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
Wow that is a lot of fork tube above the top yoke. At least you have plenty rake to play with. Considering how much HP the little lady puts out aren't you a wee bit worried about wind resistance and such in regards to you potential top speed ?
Top speed? Oh, man, that a good one! The chassis will probably fall apart before I get out of second gear.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Easy enough to drop the windshield down on the Nisa.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Easy enough to drop the windshield down on the Nisa.
Again LOL You'll have to pardon me and my jaded view of the world. As an ex-racer and race bike builder ..............I always think about top speed. An a example would be that I can in no way understand the HD crowd. I look at their motorbikes as rolling examples of 75 year old technology. No was more suprised than I when we took a tour of the Aussie Vincent shop. They fellows there had taken the look of the '50's but made it strand and meeting the needs of the 21st century. When I looked into it it's also what HD has done. These people have lived within the rules but kept the looks and beauty of the past. I only need to make the things fast. You will truly have something to be proud of when you are done and it seems to me that you are at the beginning of the learning process. I will say that all your questions have made sense. That and that you have your vision. Doing it the way you are you will learn a lot and you are not fighting the need to control the HP while making the thing look good.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
Again LOL You'll have to pardon me and my jaded view of the world. As an ex-racer and race bike builder ..............I always think about top speed. An a example would be that I can in no way understand the HD crowd. I look at their motorbikes as rolling examples of 75 year old technology. No was more suprised than I when we took a tour of the Aussie Vincent shop. They fellows there had taken the look of the '50's but made it strand and meeting the needs of the 21st century. When I looked into it it's also what HD has done. These people have lived within the rules but kept the looks and beauty of the past. I only need to make the things fast. You will truly have something to be proud of when you are done and it seems to me that you are at the beginning of the learning process. I will say that all your questions have made sense. That and that you have your vision. Doing it the way you are you will learn a lot and you are not fighting the need to control the HP while making the thing look good.

Cheers
The objective of this project has always been about teaching myself motorcycle fabrication and theory though experience, not ending up with an excellently designed motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #497 (Edited)
The Nisa works better than I had expected. I'd need to custom fabricate headlight ears to mount the bucket in the opening properly, but it could work.

Since the Nisa was on a shelf behind the Guzzi SP fairing, I did this for a laugh.

But all of this is moot at this point. I've decided to repurpose the Reed Titan seat for another project. Watching Martin Molin and Sam Battle on YouTube this morning, they both made a point about the need to avoid defining one specific element of a project without thinking through how the whole thing will work together. This leads to work-arounds to address a previously flawed design decision, when the correct thing is really to go back and correct what you did wrong.

I went down to the workshop and looked at what I had. I realized that I chose the Reed Titan seat mostly because it fit my (fairly arbitrary) rear frame design. Now I was adding a fairing to make the seat look less out of place. Not the way to go about it! I might revisit the idea of making my own custom seat, or I might cut and re-shape the frame to suit another, more appropriate pre-made seat. But in any case, I will probably not put a fairing on this bike and stay true to my initial concept.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Let's see it with the tank.

Looks like it could stand to sit a couple inches lower.

I guess you can't click on pictures to magnify them anymore?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
Let's see it with the tank.

Looks like it could stand to sit a couple inches lower.

I guess you can't click on pictures to magnify them anymore?
I would have to trim away the lip on the bottom of the fairing to clear the bottom triple clamp in order to lower it. I don't want to to do that even though, if you look at the picture of the red Morini 250 from the Internet I posted earlier (post #481), you'll notice that that fairing doesn't have the extended lower lip. It also has had its side wings clipped in comparison to mine. In any case, I have decided I really want this to be a naked roadster, the way I originally planned it, so it really doesn't matter.

I scaled down the photos before I uploaded them, BTW.

481 - 500 of 568 Posts