Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hmmm. Really surprised nobody offered up the FJ1100/FJ1200 series bikes yet. Or for that matter the Suzuki GS1100ES.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Hmmm. Really surprised nobody offered up the FJ1100/FJ1200 series bikes yet. Or for that matter the Suzuki GS1100ES.
I was going to say the XJ900f (circa 83-87), but I was thinking they're getting a bit old now to be "turn key reliable" in the grand scheme of things. Kinda the same with the FJ's IMO.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Were any of the Buell tubers S1 S2 S3 reliable enough and comfortable enough for this trek? They come up cheap at times and are basically a Sporster 1200 and I wouldn't mind trying a HD based bike at least once in my life.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That bandit was nice except someone put the rear wheel on without the spacers and the whole assembly will need to be replaced. He would not take a reasonable offer considering the damage and repair costs. He stood there telling me nothing was wrong with the bike even after I showed him the massive amount of slop in the wheel and the floppy cush drive. Needs tires too, and you have to wonder what other suprises might lurk hidden to be found later. No response from storm guy and the others I have looked at were over priced and or just junk.

Looked at a TDM but its a bit rough and my estimate it I would save money spending $4500 on a less vintage ride.

What about the Kawasaki 650 Versys are they too buzzy.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Find a low miles SV650. Naked or not, it depends how heavy you are and if it suits your size. A lot easier to live with than a big old TDM. I'd say an SV650 would be a better and far smoother than the Gundam style Versys.

A 1st gen Buell is a neat idea, but the reality is they are weird things that shake, rattle and roll and need things fixed all the time and little things break and fail.

" I wouldn't mind trying a HD based bike at least once in my life.", with respect no you don't, not for touring anyway. A Harley for a city toy or hiring one in FL for a week, O.K. , just fine.

"" I wouldn't mind trying a HD based bike at least once in my life." Yep, that's why I am coming pretty close to buying a Star Bolt.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Find a low miles SV650. Naked or not, it depends how heavy you are and if it suits your size. A lot easier to live with than a big old TDM. I'd say an SV650 would be a better and far smoother than the Gundam style Versys.

A 1st gen Buell is a neat idea, but the reality is they are weird things that shake, rattle and roll and need things fixed all the time and little things break and fail.

" I wouldn't mind trying a HD based bike at least once in my life.", with respect no you don't, not for touring anyway. A Harley for a city toy or hiring one in FL for a week, O.K. , just fine.

"" I wouldn't mind trying a HD based bike at least once in my life." Yep, that's why I am coming pretty close to buying a Star Bolt.
I have an offer out on a 650 V-Strom it is a bit over price so we will see how that goes. Have been looking for that unmolested SV650S for a fair price with no luck, I have no interest in another naked bike as I have the Buell 1125CR. Time is running short so it may be a Versys with plans to resell after the trip.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I'd prefer to do highway miles on a 650 V-stom over a Versys any day. I think the Strom would be way cruisier and comfortable. A Versys would be a good sport bike, but the riding position seems very awkward and a bit uncomfortable looking. Even if you take a small cash hit, go with the Strom, you still won't lose much on flipping good one after riding a few highway miles.

Go get that Strom with cash in hand and haggle a lower price. The guy might be broke and need to pay the rent!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a vfr750 and while it's a great bike the angle might be a bit much for long hauls, given your stature. I"m about 5'9 and it's a bit of a lean to maintain on the highway, I"d assume at 5'5'' it'd be a little worse.

they also tend to run hot as hell in any kind of traffic

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
So I did pick up a bike after looking at many and while not perfect for my trip I think it will do the job and make it back home to become a good commuter. I have been riding the bike for just over a week now and it is a great around town ride. Worst issue for me on this one is that it is a tad buzzy down low and bars feel a tad high, but than I am used to bikes with very low bars. I think I will need a tank bag to lean on at times for the long run south but for the ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway / Skyline Drive. this will be perfect.

View attachment 7704

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Just back from my solo road trip, this parting shot from my lunch time overlook at the northern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway is void of the storm that over ran me 2 hours later just before I made it to my hotel. The Versys while not the best on the 900 mile first day heading to Arkansas was a welcome partner on the 480 mile Parkway.
View attachment 8050

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not sure why every one asks about Deals Gap, but regardless of that I never did consider it. I would have loved to have more time on the Parkway to camp and get some hiking in but the time was not available.

The Versys did great and never felt under powered, I actually had to work to keep my speed within reason. I was only wishing it had the stock seat but previous owner had sold it. I even forgot about the initially perceived poor front brakes the rear on the other hand is not worth much but who really uses a rear brake anyhow.

·
Registered
893 Posts
"Not sure why every one asks about Deals Gap"

its a famous motorcycle road. Even if you dont like the road personally, people are still gonna ask.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I have done both the gap, the Cherohala Skyway, and the blue ridge parkway. I did the gap/skyway in a uhaul towing a trailer and the blue ridge in a rented chevy impala. All of them were fantastic roads and I wish I had a motorcycle or a sports car for all of them but the circumstances that brought me there were quite accidental in all cases.

People ask about the gap because it really is that much fun, despite the asshats and jackbooted police officers.

·
Registered
440 Posts
but who really uses a rear brake anyhow.
Only every competent rider that I've ever met. If using the rear brake isn't part of your instincts and regular riding habits, you won't be able to rely on reflex when the emergency presents itself. ;)

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Dragon just seems like a hyped scene good road or not and there plenty of excellent rides that don't come with the scene or related consequences. I was on some spectacular roads in south central Missouri they had no traffic or scene and perfect new pavement + Northern Arkansas has endless selections.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by nic579: "but who really uses a rear brake anyhow."

Fast road riders who trail brake into corners to steady the bike, and also to "pull" the bike into tighter lines into corners.

Keith Code probably has a word for it, he invented riding bikes fast, after all. The-Thetans helped him, no duh-doubt.

The best "scene", is no scene, riding on your own.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you have enough HP, the rear brake is also used to keep the front end down coming out of the corners. ;) It's a VERY important component of handling.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The-Thetans helped him, no duh-doubt.
Guess he's a Scientologist? It's amazing how warped your perception of reality can be and still remain successful.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts