Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Buell Xb wouldn't start anymore after my accident.
So I dicided to take it apart and use it for a tracker built. (will start in a few months)
But in the mean time I wanted to take te engine apart to check what's wrong and maybe put the big bore kit on eventually.

I'm not even half-way taking the engine apart and already found this:

This is supposed to be an engine mount and is supposed to be STRONG

1/4 twisted and crossed the screws a time while loosening and yet it cracked.

Als this:

Looks like the edges are unfinished and this on 4 corners near the rockers.

Anyone heard of this happening before?

·
Registered
681 Posts
The service manual describes how to use drifts and a mallet to straighten rods, while they're on the crank, which is still mounted in the bottom end...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Harleys when involved in an accident are usually totaled. It really doesn't matter how minor the accident was.. Now you know why.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok that's good to know.
Still going to continue to take it apart just to learn abit about the engine and who knows...

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
ive actually heard people say just the opposite usually. well assembled bikes, well thought out. anything new is going to have its opposition, but ive always sort of admired the way they are assembled. also have always heard great things about them as a company.

id also tend to agree with geet here. post crash might not be the best time to evaluate quality in many respects.

but a "sportbike" should crash well in my opinion.

and i think buells are about as far from being a harley as a saab 9000 is from a gripen.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
No sportbike I know "crashes well". Lowside any jap rocket and it is usually a total. People who fix crashed sportbikes do so out of pocket and outside insurance.

The Japanese perfected the concept of "cheaper to buy another than fix" with the cb750, it is no surprise that to a certain degree the rest of the market has played along in various degrees.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
The Japanese sport bikes are known for really poor fit and finish in general. Go look at a new R1,zx10, or cbr, they are full of mismatched panels, paint, and decals. My Ducati had wrinkling paint in places not noticeable, but they delivered a friends bike with bugs sealed into the clear coat and dirt and debris.

FWIW Harley and triumph are recognized as having some of the best quality in the industry.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
crashed sportbike = streetfighter; crashed streetfighter = track bike; crashed track bike = smelter's fodder; processed smelter's fodder = new sportbike. There is the life cycle of a sportbike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The mount that broke can be my fault but still the edges of the cilinderhead aren't damaged they're just unfinished.
It's not really that important but for a bike this expensive you won't expect that

·
Registered
576 Posts
That's not the cylinder head, that's the rocker box. And they are a cast piece so the will have unfinished edges. Do I like it? No. But that doesn't mean the bike is crap. I crashed my S1 lightning at Topeka enough times I had my own tree of shame (I wasn't very good back in the day), and that beast lived through it all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts