Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
This is gonna turn into another shitshow... I can just feel it...

DohcBikes has gone to the painstaking lengths of 30 seconds typing to create a tranquil area for people to post their builds and you lot are all ruining it.

At least have the decency to recognise all that he has done for the group and post up sensible builds. Trophys will be awarded right down to last place so that no-one gets butt-hurt.

TangoZero_HDSportsterClubmanRacer.jpg

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
You can't crash someone else's party and then get all pissy because they aren't playing your type of music.

Get one of these before posting threads like this up...

flame suit.jpg

That way when the flaming really starts you won't get burned.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is gonna turn into another shitshow... I can just feel it...

DohcBikes has gone to the painstaking lengths of 30 seconds typing to create a tranquil area for people to post their builds and you lot are all ruining it.

At least have the decency to recognise all that he has done for the group and post up sensible builds. Trophys will be awarded right down to last place so that no-one gets butt-hurt.

View attachment 37041

That looks just like my bike. Maybe I should paint it red...

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
A custom built race motor....blueprinted, custom designed pistons, custom ignition, custom intake, ported head, custom valvetrain with valve seals, top end oiling system, custom machined cases, custom ground race cam, custom exhaust... yeah.... I would say its custom because the parts were designed for it specifically.... not from off the shelf items.

GIANNINI RACING
Tannermatic

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What is a build? Y'all are motorcycle production companies? Buying parts and bolting them on to an existing frame isnt building.... its called bolting together.
I hand fabricate composite parts for myself and others. I suppose that i am building those parts.
I think some of the confusion comes from the fact that in THIS forum, the section for member projects is called "Project Builds"

Personally, I do restorations, refurbs, overhauls and custom builds (yes, builds). I do not fabricate every part (a la John Britten), but I do fabricate a handful of bits for every custom build, as well as modifying and fitting non-standard parts to many of them (monoshock rear ends & inverted forks on older classics, box-section swingarms & disc brake conversions, etc).

Since MOST of my projects involve tearing the bikes down to the last flywheel nut and wheel bearing spacer, they also involve re-building them from the first bolt to the last decal. So, I call them "builds" from time to time, and to be on topic, here in this forum, in the 'Project Builds' section...

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Grandpaul

I understand completely.... I was raising the question because it is the trend for anyone to go buy a basket case or anything for that matter and referring to it as a build.

Um.... its a motorcycle or it was before they took it apart.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
It is rather nice isn't it :) There were loads of other lego bikes on the image search but this one shone out as one that had been built by someone who knows where it's at.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think some of the confusion comes from the fact that in THIS forum, the section for member projects is called "Project Builds"

Personally, I do restorations, refurbs, overhauls and custom builds (yes, builds). I do not fabricate every part (a la John Britten), but I do fabricate a handful of bits for every custom build, as well as modifying and fitting non-standard parts to many of them (monoshock rear ends & inverted forks on older classics, box-section swingarms & disc brake conversions, etc).

Since MOST of my projects involve tearing the bikes down to the last flywheel nut and wheel bearing spacer, they also involve re-building them from the first bolt to the last decal. So, I call them "builds" from time to time, and to be on topic, here in this forum, in the 'Project Builds' section...
Glad to see this broken down, so when I do get around to putting up pic of my Honda it will be in the General Thread not a restoration and not a custom build maybe that way I will avoid looking like a complete tool. maybe

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Glad to see this broken down, so when I do get around to putting up pic of my Honda it will be in the General Thread not a restoration and not a custom build maybe that way I will avoid looking like a complete tool. maybe
T
There is no avoiding the rank abuse that goes on here, so get used to it.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
T
Where my cynicism comes from is the multitude of "build" threads that get started and fail.

when someone's first post is a strip down, detabbed frame sitting on a lift with no engine, wheels, maybe some crazy USD forks, maybe a single sided swingarm, and they say nothing about their plans and have no experience in putting together a bike, what are the chances of it getting finished?

There is SO MUCH misguided trash that encouragement is more like enabling.

Just saying...

That said, my bike looks like some of those in the video. LOL.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Can we get club T shirts? Maybe Ichiban could do a custom run for us. Might turn into a high volume line for him.
I dunno, I think the old "I like pie" t-shirts still apply to situations like this. most of the same people will already have them (me, jaguar, etc...)

For those that don't remember we used to think it was really funny when a newbie would get on here talking about how much they like "cafe racers" or "firestones" and wax poetic to respond with "well..I like pie" and then discuss the different merits of pie for several pages. We were right bastards.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
T
compared to the rank abuse I've seen you suffer on other forums...ahem...cough..access norton...cough...I would think we have been rather civil and nice to you personally. Besides, we kid because we love.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
This guy was probably the closest guy of late to pretty much totally "build" a bike:

Even then, he used some bits on it that other people built...
I dunno; there are still a few other guys around whom I'd classify as bike builders.
Aniket Vardhan, Allen Millyard and Ian Drysdale come to mind, even if they do all use "some bits that other people built."

21 - 40 of 76 Posts