Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
lol that explains it! I live in Canada eh ;) ... do you know the story behind the iron rings and how they came about?
Some say it has to do with a bridge that collapsed, but according to Wikipedia that's a myth. (I looked it up after posting) The guy who told me that was Canadian BTW.

I also found out that some US engineers are doing it now but I've only seen it with Canadians. (I live pretty close to the border so have worked with quite a few over the years)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
This turned into an interesting read about the differences between a builder and an assembler. I thought I built this but now I think I just assembled it. I didn't make the tubing. Just cut it and welded it. Didn't make the wheels except for the sidecar wheel. Or the engine. I must be an assembler, But do I care? I'm having fun with it.
If you're thinking that I'd suggest that you didn't build that, you didn't get my analogy.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
DesmoDog;432202 As for the term "engineer"... some of the best "engineers" I've met didn't have a degree and some of the degreed engineers I've worked with are complete morons when it comes to real world skills... I read it the way you meant it.[/QUOTE said:
So true. I worked with different engineers on different projects. Some were dumb as a sack of hammers and hopeless in the real world and some were brilliant. One of the more brilliant ones was from Romania and had worked for Bosch in Europe before crossing the pond.
It was fun working with people like him.

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
Engineers are qualified to degree level in engineering. Below that are the technicians, fitters and mechanics. Below that are the cake decorators and just below that comes DohcBikes.

I too have seen engineers who couldn't find their own arse with a map and both hands as well as humble mechanics who can spot the difference between 0BA and 6mm threads at 200 paces in the fog. (incidentally darts usually use a 2BA thread to connect the head to the shaft)

Ususally the cream of these salt of the earth fixers (engineers to cake decorators) have a small shed in the garden where they do things just for fun in what little spare time they get. It usually involves motorcycles.

I am a shed person like my ancestors before me. A tinkerer, a fixer.

Labels are for shampoo bottles and are full of made up phrases like "pro-v engineered for silky shine" just to get you to buy into the bullshit.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
All I am saying is that people throw that term around so much these days that.......

Motorcycle dealerships should be called "Build" dealerships.

Not to offend anyone here that is putting together cool and interesting stuff.
I always find it to be interesting that you'll get 60,000 people to visit Barber Vintage Festival.... Most of them go to the swap meet, go to the custom builder section and not
walk through the pits. In my opinion there are waaaaay more interesting and innovative bikes in the pits than the caferacer corner or whatever.

carry on

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
All I am saying is that people throw that term around so much these days that.......

I always find it to be interesting that you'll get 60,000 people to visit Barber Vintage Festival.... Most of them go to the swap meet, go to the custom builder section and not
walk through the pits. In my opinion there are waaaaay more interesting and innovative bikes in the pits than the caferacer corner or whatever.

carry on
If fairness, a large percentage of attendees don't realize the pits are "open".

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Been there. (many times)

...and it's been too long!

·
Registered
773 Posts

carry on
i spent most of my time going through the pits, spent a couple of hours in the ace corner (much of it talking to a bloke who recognised me) and a couple of hours in the swap meet talking to two blokes i know. when i come back i'm going to walk the swap meet on friday so i can see all the good stuff i have no need for. just because.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts