Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy is selling a gt550 engine and frame

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2637907760.html

I have a lot of cb450 parts laying around, will this cost a fortune to put together? The only good thing is I can put whatever I want from the salvage yard on it. I have a 94 gsxr 750 front end (overkill) and some other bits. I don't want to pay $400 for it, maybe give him $200. I contacted him weeks ago and he just texted me today asking if I was still interested so he's motivated to get rid of it.

I've always liked the two stroke triples...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just my .02 but I have bought and given up and bought and completed one basket case. It seems everytime all the bolts are missing, the parts are there but hardly any nuts and bolts, not to mention seems like everyone cuts the wires instead of taking them apart the right way and labeling them. This takes time and moeny to piece nuts and bolts along with rebuilding or buying a wiring harness. Not to mention no one takes one apart just for the fun of it. Something was probably wrong with it. If the reason it was taken apart can be identified you'll be in better shape. Didn't Geet just sell one of these not long ago?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming this is just the frame and engine. Not expecting much, don't really need more crap laying around. I can see this thing sitting in my garage for a couple of years before I end up selling it or trading it. Haha. I do like the idea of building a franken bike with good parts from other bikes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'd snap his hand off but then things over here are twice as expensive. The frame alone would probably sell for $400! I see some stuff on US ebay that it selling so cheap it has me salivating.
There's companies on ebay now that are selling a full sets of zinc/stainless nuts, bolts and washers for a particular makes and model for around $40, worth a look.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It depends on your priorities. If you'll find it fun to hunt down parts and figure out how they can go together, if you want the enjoyment of having something totally unique when you're done, if you like the idea of saving parts from ending up on the junkpile, then yea, it's totally worth it.

If you are just looking for a cheap way to ride, no way. It will take you 3X the money and time you expect going in.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Just for comparison;

I sold a running, charging, titled 72 GT550 w/a shitty parts bike for $400 this spring.

This summer got $1400 out of my black one that I rode everyday the year prior(and everyday right up until it left). Which was easily double what I would have given for it.

Guess my point is they're not particularly rare or valuable. Why would you start with one in pieces?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Just for comparison;

I sold a running, charging, titled 72 GT550 w/a shitty parts bike for $400 this spring.

This summer got $1400 out of my black one that I rode everyday the year prior(and everyday right up until it left). Which was easily double what I would have given for it.

Guess my point is they're not particularly rare or valuable. Why would you start with one in pieces?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I only will buy a 'parts bike' for my existing projects in my shop. I just recently purchased a roached out 71 cb750 for 100 bucks that is basically all there and together. Since I have a good parts bin for this type bike and have another 71 project bike - it made sense to pick it up for either restoration or parts. I figured if I wanted to parts out the bike it was worth about 400 to 500 dollars. Certainly most of the little parts that you may be missing for building a project bike like foot pegs or engine mount bolts make this purchase worth while.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I only will buy a 'parts bike' for my existing projects in my shop. I just recently purchased a roached out 71 cb750 for 100 bucks that is basically all there and together. Since I have a good parts bin for this type bike and have another 71 project bike - it made sense to pick it up for either restoration or parts. I figured if I wanted to parts out the bike it was worth about 400 to 500 dollars. Certainly most of the little parts that you may be missing for building a project bike like foot pegs or engine mount bolts make this purchase worth while.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Building a bike from scratch, worth it?
No. or rather hardly ever. I suppose if you found a one of one frame and were doing the world a service by restoring it then it might be worth it - but you would probably use a donor bike.

I do however buy titled frames on occasion for bikes I want to own eventually in case I find a complete one where the P/O misplaced the title.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Building a bike from scratch, worth it?
No. or rather hardly ever. I suppose if you found a one of one frame and were doing the world a service by restoring it then it might be worth it - but you would probably use a donor bike.

I do however buy titled frames on occasion for bikes I want to own eventually in case I find a complete one where the P/O misplaced the title.

·
Registered
745 Posts
how much did the slut sell for kerry? she was a reasonable proposition wasnt it?

·
Registered
745 Posts
how much did the slut sell for kerry? she was a reasonable proposition wasnt it?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
it didn't, I still have it.

NYC is a hard place to sell a bike in the fall. The only guys looking to buy are looking for the $500 honda they can flip for $3K come spring. I admit I am one of those people but at the same time I actually know what I am doing, a lot of these guys are tire kickers at best and the prospect of a triple two stroke that is only worth $1500 in operable condition and needs $350 worth of parts isn't a good enough for a bike they just want to pull money out of.

The only other people who looked at it were guys who wanted to pay $350 for it and part it out. Everyone who has looked at the bike in person says - "wow, it is nicer than I thought it would be".

I think what I am going to do is take a small amount of the profits from the next two bikes I sell and do my best to get it tot he point where a set of tires is all it will need to be a good daily rider.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
it didn't, I still have it.

NYC is a hard place to sell a bike in the fall. The only guys looking to buy are looking for the $500 honda they can flip for $3K come spring. I admit I am one of those people but at the same time I actually know what I am doing, a lot of these guys are tire kickers at best and the prospect of a triple two stroke that is only worth $1500 in operable condition and needs $350 worth of parts isn't a good enough for a bike they just want to pull money out of.

The only other people who looked at it were guys who wanted to pay $350 for it and part it out. Everyone who has looked at the bike in person says - "wow, it is nicer than I thought it would be".

I think what I am going to do is take a small amount of the profits from the next two bikes I sell and do my best to get it tot he point where a set of tires is all it will need to be a good daily rider.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
quote:Originally posted by TSwami

Not to mention no one takes one apart just for the fun of it.
I do :D

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
quote:Originally posted by TSwami

Not to mention no one takes one apart just for the fun of it.
I do :D

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I built several from a pile of parts that had to be accumulated first. Last one started with crankcases and had to add frame etc. My first real cafe racer 57 T100 arrived that way. Think of it as a long term installment plan.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I built several from a pile of parts that had to be accumulated first. Last one started with crankcases and had to add frame etc. My first real cafe racer 57 T100 arrived that way. Think of it as a long term installment plan.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the problem is....when this stuff used to be cheap and plentiful it was easy to build from "scratch" and have it be worth it if:

- you did a lot of horse trading to get the things you needed

- you knew the bike well enough to know you needed things

- there were enough nuts like you that thought these things were worth saving regardless of value

for some reason brit and american bikes are like that, no matter the actual cash value someone always things they are worth saving. People don't feel that way about all japanese bikes which is why bikes like the GT series of suzukis will always be worth less than the GS750 (except the GT750 which is just too odd to not be special). It may cost you about $4000 to build that GT from scratch and at the end of the day the bike may be worth $1500 at most. Conversly it may cost you $4500 to do the same thing with....say....a BSA A65 and that bike will actually be worth about $4500-$5500.

If you really want to know what it is like to build a bike from scratch - take an existing bike you have and have your wife and kids take it apart and hide the parts around the house. Then once a week they give you clues to where one item is and you can search for it, restore that peice and put it back on the bike. You do not get to pick the order of the parts of clues. yeah, that will feel about the same.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts