Cafe Racer Forum banner

Building a moped race bike in 2.5 weeks.

6K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Bigrigatoni 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

So I thought I'd post this up here to see if anyone around has any misc. parts that are local to NYC I can purchase off of them.

I'm taking my daily rider and stripping it for a moped race Oct. 13th.
http://northeastmopedracing.com/

What the bike is...is a 1979 General 5 C-2. It has a Italian Minarelli engine thats a standard topend as a Minarelli V1, but instead of a single speed transmission it has a dual variated trans. The bike has been my daily rider for the past 1 1/2 months and so far hasn't given me a single problem.

Currently consists of a Polini V1 80cc cylinder, high comp head I machined to match with the squish. 21mm Dellorto PHBG, and a cheapo pipe I had laying around the shop. Other than that...the bike remains stock with some small things I adjusted with the front and rear variator weights, lathed the front cheek to give more travel...I'm going to try some slight clutch springs later this week.

The pickup is good enough for city riding, the other night my friend on his Monster 750 was pacing me on our way home and got me at 57mph. This was wide open, but only had maybe another 5-7mph more to give if I had the room.

I was wondering if anyone local has any small fiberglass seats around I can buy off of them. This week, I'm going to be hardwiring the bike, stripping everything off unnecessary and safety wiring.

As I type...I'm about to put on some Cb125 front forks I've had laying around that I modified a downhill mountain bike front hub and mech. disc brake for, laced into a 17" aluminum 1.2 rim. Running 2.25 Sava's...just cause I had them laying around already. I kinda really wanted to try the Heidenau's that Tanner has...I rode on Heidenau k56's all of last season and they were a great street tire. Next step, I'm cutting and extending the swingarm 2.25" just to give me a little more. It's a very cramped bike, my ass hangs out far over the rear tire when I tuck in a bit with my monkey arms and long legs.

Also...if anyone has any .020" shim stock around?...I really could use just a sliver...

Puh puh please.
Love you guys all. Time to show these moped kids how to ride trackside.

Larry -

See less See more
#3 ·
Have fun on that track. The straight away is uphill. My stock Puch Magnum didn't do to well there. I ran my Honda C100 as well, but the up hill killed it, top gear was too high, and it was screaming in 2nd. So I used 2nd until it gave up the ghost.

Those Variated bikes moved right along. It is a tight track.

I sold off all my moped stuff after the race.

#4 ·
Common Texy.
It'll be fun.

Thanks for the info Jack.
I've been watching YouTube videos of the track to I can get an idea of its layout before I walk it. Kinda hard to see the main straight is uphill.

I'll let you guys know how it goes as well as my bike's prep this week.

#5 ·
nah dude.....first of all i will be vehicle-less as i'm leaving my truck in ATL and flying back for the weekend, then flying back there (ATL) on Monday. No truck....no ability to haul bikes, so no racing for tex. next year my man, i promise. i did however fill out my profile on their website and secure my race number (#61).

cheers,

tex

#9 ·
So, I got this far today.

Modified the Cb125 forks to fit, had to tap out headset cones and put new cones and races in. But, works like a dream. Mounted up the disc brake and caliper with stay. Spaced it out, feels really solid and bites hard which is nice, but still able to modulate.

Test fitted the new rear shocks, sits a bit high since I didn't cut and extend the swingarm yet. But...it's getting there.

Started to strip everything off. Next step is to gut the entire wiring harness and hardwire it.

But, we all love pictures.

#11 ·
updated picture.
I ripped out all the extra wiring and finished hardwiring.
Brake is all done. Spare tank and seat fitted in case I crash, the nice set will be saved for when the bike is street bike ready again.
First start of the bike since it's 4 day hiatus will be tomorrow.

#13 ·
I'm not sure on the specifics on where to find C2's...they're rarer than Derbi flatreed and revolution engines.

In my opinion better than all my trick Derbi flatreed stuff since the clutches on on the rear variator shaft so theres not as much force etc. on the crankshaft letting me put more aggressive clutch springs on it.

On a side note, I decided to change up the bodywork last minute tonight since my friend Bill bought a treasure trove of NOS italian parts a few years ago...had a Benelli tank sitting around. Modified the frame and tank a bit and cut the stock seat pan down to length for the new tank. Also got some NOS Benelli metal side number plates.

Picture update.

#17 ·
Looks like a load of fun! Fork brace?

#18 ·
quote:Originally posted by Swagger

Looks like a load of fun! Fork brace?
He has a friend that out of the goodness of his heart generously donated a fork brace.
Catch is he has to pick it up, and bring at least one beer.

#19 ·
Markus- I talked to the event organizers, they said any small motorcycle under 90cc can run, just no points awarded. So you're good. They just want more people out there having fun.

And yes Will...thank you for the fork brace.
I gotta time things well. I have to go to PA tonight to see places in the morning. Then right back to Brooklyn to work for team obsolete. It's gonna be rushed the next few days, but expect a text soon. I'll let you know when I can drive out.

#22 ·
Just keep in mind that the c2 won't fit on the sebring frame. The engine mounts are different but thats not too hard to do. Just weld on new engine brackets, but the bigger task is the head tube. The angles are different too accommodate for the added length of the c2 crank case. I didn't notice until I had a v1 general next to mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.