Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, first up.... I am not new to this game, I have been modifying and tinkering with bikes for a long time. Done various motorcycle, boat, car and bicycle projects over the years, so bottom line, I am not naive to the work involved and I know what I am getting myself in for! Both in time and money.

For the past few months I have been planning to build a bike. The ideas have evolved. Different engines and frame ideas until I seem to have settled on building an cafe racer, Egli framed bike powered by a 100ci/1638cc, chain driven SOHC, 50 degree, V twin, wet sump, 5 speed, fuel injected, USA built Victory engine. They are a good engine that with a little tinkering can give a good 100hp and huge torque. A huge bonus they have mounts on the heads as they were designed to be a stressed frame member. I will convert it from belt to chain final drive. I will also have to move the throttle body to the side as it sticks right up where my frame will be.

I will scratch build the frame. 4 inch main backbone. Twin shock frame. Looking at 19 inch wheels front and back to get the scale right for the large engine.... single 300 or 320mm disc front brake (Brembo or Lockheed) and Kawasaki based TLS 180mm drum rear. "Normal" front forks, I have a nice set of mid 1970's Yamaha forks at 34mm that might work.... but I would prefer 38mm forks.

I am looking at around 27 degrees rake and about 100mm of trail, for the "on rails" feel on an old 900SS Ducati bevel drive... around a 57 inch wheelbase.

The look will be old school, lots of chrome, stainless and polished aluminium, no fairing, spoked wheels with flanged aluminium rims. "Banana" style Egli tank and single seat. High pipes like a Ducati Imola.... high pegs and long reach to the clip on bars like a SFC750 Laverda or 900SS Bevel.

All I have done so far is planning and researched A LOT and bought a tail light. :) I have two engines lined up and I waiting on more information on one before I pick and engine two use as a base.

So let the madness commence!
Regards
Gavin
New Zealand.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
It started off as a standard Sachs 800 Roadster.
All changes were just cosmetic. I tried to leave all the important bits as original as possible.
A local company made the tank and side panels, a manx seat, peashooter silencers and universal rear mudguard were fitted.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Reactions: Agusta74

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nicely done mate. I goodchassis to start with for sure too! :)
I don't think those bike ever made it to New Zealand....

It started off as a standard Sachs 800 Roadster.
All changes were just cosmetic. I tried to leave all the important bits as original as possible.
A local company made the tank and side panels, a manx seat, peashooter silencers and universal rear mudguard were fitted.
View attachment 104692

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Thanks. There's not many of them over here, but they do come up for sale from time to time.

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK first job.... to answer the question, "What the hell does this crazy Kiwi mean by an Egli frame"
Good question, glad you asked.
Fritz Egli is a Swiss motorcycle racer who liked the Vincent 1000 engine and in the late 1960's he set about making a new frame for his race bike.
It had a 4 inch round back bone frame with the engine attached to it as a stressed member. I was a racing success and he went on to build around 100 frames for Vincents. When cheap Vincent engines dried up, he did frames for many other makes.
I don't see myself getting an Egli Vincent anytime soon, or the "modern" replicas that are built in France with new Vincent engines.
So after lots of thinking I came to the Victory engine has some things in common to the Vincent which make it a good "fit" for the project..... both are 50 degree V. Both are designed to be a stressed member of the frame..... here are some Egli Vincent frames (they have an oil tank in the main tube I will not need to do.
Wood Road surface Floor Composite material Flooring
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Automotive exterior Vehicle

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So that's the frame..... these are pictures of original Egli built machine... not replicas.....
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to do a slightly updated version and I value my life so I am going to fit a really good twin disc front end. Not aiming for high top speed, but for the impression of speed & drama at normal speeds & grunt for back road tight twisty roads. Minimum plastic, maximum polished aluminium & chrome.
No fairing so you get a sense of speed from the wind etc etc. This one best shows the general look I want to aim for.... it's a French built Egli... but with side covers on the frame...

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will the engine even fit? I hear no one asking?? Well... I have the dimensions of both and as I am going to scratch build the frame it does not really matter but the Victory is about 1 inch longer. About 1.6 inches taller from the crank center to the top of the rockers, with the wet sump the Victory is 2.3 inches deeper from the crank center to the bottom of the engine. So yes it will "fit" but the frame will be bigger than the Vincent version, so I all scale up some other bits to make it look "balanced" like fitting 19 inch front wheel. And more subtle things like bringing the gas tank down over the engine a bit....

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am still waiting for photos and more details on the donor 100 engine! Was going to be yesterday but I guess the chap is busy... in the mean time I "think" I might have found a good set of forks to use..... BMW K100RS forks and triple clamp and axle. Just deciding if I should pull the pin and buy the forks before I even get the engine. The forks are around 41mm and they take Brembo 08 calipers as standard, but I have a new new set of AP Lockheed calipers somewhere in a box that I would make a adapter plate to fit on the BMW forks. Might even go to twin discs as it would be so easy. The rake of the BMW is 27.5 an the trail 101 with an 18 inch wheel... so if I go for a 19 inch wheel then I might have to set the head angle half a degree different to keep the trail around the 100mm 4 inch range. Good solid front end with aftermarket springs and RACE TECH emulators are available for them to make them really good. Aluminum triple clamps that I could reshape and polish also... Might have to make a new top clamp as I don't want the handle bar mounting holes.... a couple of days on the old milling machine would knock that out.

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the project has really started now...I just bought a complete front head from a 2013 Vegas 8 Ball 109 off ebay ($80!!) that I am assured will be the same as the 2009 Vegas 100 motor. Apparently all heads were the same after '08....
:)
So the "two front heads experiment" has started.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Well color me impressed

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am catching up on what I have done over the last month or so here.... :)

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am learning interesting stuff about Victory engine that effect my project.... the '08 on engines had a extra "split gear" on the back of the clutch basket that is designed to be sprung against each other to keep the gear teeth engaged at all times.... the engines have had the same split sprung gear on the crank to balancer gear for a long time. As far as I can see these split gears are only designed to stop noise as the springs are so light as to have very little effect in any other practical sense. The engines driving and end engine braking would overcome them so fast that I would not stop any gear wear. The PRACTICAL upshot for me (other than dead weight) is that the wider split gear puts the clutch further out and the primary cover wider.... and hence LESS corning clearance. The base engine I hope to get (still waiting to here back from the guy) is an '09 with the wide primary, BUT I also have a '04 92 lined up in parts that would supply all the narrow primary parts to convert the '09 to a narrow clutch version. Then I could run the early pre Freedom primary cover that I prefer the look of. Pictures of the two clutches and the primary cover I prefer... I would machine off the 92 and put 100 on...

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are some pictures of the split gears, which I would like to remove (the sprung part) altogether on both gears.... I will be looking real hard at the so called "Torque Compensator" or as I call it "a spring that creates build in drive line slop, noise and weight."

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The project took a step forward. I paid for a local (in NZ) 2004 92 engine that ran out of oil and is in a million bits after having another motor swapped into that bikes chassis.... the "shell" of this motor will be the engine I will build the frame around that will not matter too much if is gets grindings and weld splatter on it! PLUS I hope to use all the primary side gears and clutch also from it to be able too covert to the narrow clutch/primary for cornering clearance and looks. It could also supply any number of useful odds and ends. So that's a step in the right direction! I am still making progress on the project... I have paid a deposit on the 2009 100ci Vegas 5 speed engine with all bits needed to make it run. 41mm K100 forks, triple clamps and axle are on there way.... "STOP" Vincent style tail light, 7 inch chrome headlamp, headlight mounts, spare front head, two open bell mouths with wire mesh for the intakes... plus a spare '09 throttle body so I can cut both down and only keep the first throttle body off both.

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Plus I have been busy on another forum that is dedicated to EFI systems on motorcycles talking about my plans for the injection... I will be running two front heads and two separate throttle bodies. Looks like I can delete the IAC all together and run two adjustable mechanical valves in the IAC air holes to set the idle. Using the fast idle lever for cold starts... Those IAC valves are really needed when you have a air conditioning system, power steering or an auto going into gear etc that make demands on an idling engine that then needs to up the speed to cope. With a simple motorcycle engine they are not really "needed". I am looking at running an open loop EFI system without a O2. With a Power Commander if it will cope with the needs, otherwise a full standalone computer. I will be running open bell mouths with only a gauze "filter" to keep rocks and small dogs out of the intakes. I know it will increase bore wear, but I am not worried about that.

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am still obsessing about every detail (I have lists!) and I have been selling off things to get more parts for the project. I found a stash of Ducati single parts I have had for over 20 years so I sold those to a mate, sold several thousand terracotta pavers, sold a veteran car bonnet... plus many more odd parts I have had laying around for years. Incoming is a set of new aluminium flanged rims, new tyres, cast iron brake discs off an old Ducati for the front. Handle bars. Headlight shell. Throttle. Plus rearsets and brake calipers I had already.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts