Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first up.... I am not new to this game, I have been modifying and tinkering with bikes for a long time. Done various motorcycle, boat, car and bicycle projects over the years, so bottom line, I am not naive to the work involved and I know what I am getting myself in for! Both in time and money.

For the past few months I have been planning to build a bike. The ideas have evolved. Different engines and frame ideas until I seem to have settled on building an cafe racer, Egli framed bike powered by a 100ci/1638cc, chain driven SOHC, 50 degree, V twin, wet sump, 5 speed, fuel injected, USA built Victory engine. They are a good engine that with a little tinkering can give a good 100hp and huge torque. A huge bonus they have mounts on the heads as they were designed to be a stressed frame member. I will convert it from belt to chain final drive. I will also fit two front heads so I get both exhausts at the front and separate throttle bodies.

I will scratch build the frame. 4 inch main backbone. Twin shock frame. Looking at 19 inch wheels front and back to get the scale right for the large engine.... single 300 or 320mm disc front brake (Brembo or Lockheed) and Kawasaki based TLS 180mm drum rear. "Normal" front forks, I have a nice set of mid 1970's Yamaha forks at 34mm that might work.... but I would prefer 38mm forks.

I am looking at around 27 degrees rake and about 100mm of trail, for the "on rails" feel on an old 900SS Ducati bevel drive... around a 57 inch wheelbase.

The look will be old school, lots of chrome, stainless and polished aluminium, no fairing, spoked wheels with flanged aluminium rims. "Banana" style Egli tank and single seat. High pipes like a Ducati Imola.... high pegs and long reach to the clip on bars like a SFC750 Laverda or 900SS Bevel.

All I have done so far is planning and researched A LOT and bought a tail light. :) I have two engines lined up and I waiting on more information on one before I pick and engine two use as a base.

So let the madness commence!
Regards
Gavin
New Zealand.

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second time posting this as the first thread disappeared over 24 hours ago!

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ken's a good guy. I have met him a few times raced against him and owned one of his bikes in the past.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts