Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious on those that have made custom exhausts. What size and gauge tubing do you use and what do you do for the lip that goes into the exhaust ports that the retainers sit on? Do you just hack off the stock part and weld it on to your new tubing or do something else? I want to experiment with some different ideas and give my TIG'ing some more practice. Just curious on what Trumpets sound like say from a 2-1 setup to a muffler for each cylinder? I've got a Mac 2-1 megaphone on my CM400T due to the stock duals being just completely shot and serious corroded.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd suggest 16ga mild or 18ga stainless. The bit that goes into the exhaust port can be machined out of thicker tube and rosette welded around. On the exhaust I made, I just reused the old one, but that isn't the most elegant solution.

I have no idea about your other questions.

--Chris

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
20-22-24 ga. mild steel depending on application. You can buy pre-bent sections and straight tubing from many exhaust supplier. I would not recommend starting in stainless. Get your design and welding skills correct before stepping up. Save you some costly r&d. specs can be approximated using one of many online calculators. Do a search here, many threads relating to this topic.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Where are you finding 20ga and thinner mild (or stainless for that matter)? I could use some...

--Chris

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may just pick up some stock pipes and hack on those. I've got a MIG but I want to work on my TIG'ing more. I'm just wondering what trumpets sound like? This megaphone is just too raspy. I have just a little glass packing in it now and it seems like it's choking it off. Then I pull it out and it's just annoyingly raspy. I just can't win.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
not sure what you mean by trumpet or raspy but hacking up some stock parts can be a good way to start off. If you are going to tig used pipes be sure to bead blast away the carbon. Keep the weld area medically clean and you'll be well ahead of the game.

I get sheet steel and alu. from a local supplier. You can get it online I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
those have never impressed me even if gutted

really not much of a muffler other than that they look cool

I'd have to say that doing stainless is far less work and easier to tig than working with used pipes that are with heavy carbon deposits inside and still have three layers of plating on the outside

and even autogenous fusion welds on fresh new stainless pipes do not lie

if they are good (and it's really not that hard) they will work well and last a long time

I make all my stainless exhausts out of 0.065" wall tubing

a couple "J" Bends will set up up very well and one straight section of pipe may or may not be needed

you can do stainless pipes without using any fill beads with this pipe thickness but I'd recommend using rigid mounts and such

no sliding about P clamp type mounts...... those are for ........ ummmm not my bikes

Back purging is optimium but again, you can get away without it and you can also do Solarflux if you aren't comfortable with a tiny bit of sugaring and don't want the hassle/expense of back purging

I suppose I could post up some pix of some autogenous welded, nary a fill bead one, stainless pipes that got no Solarflux or back purging and have been run hard for over 4 years now

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's gonna be wrapped so I guess being stainless or mild steel doesn't really matter. My rods and tank are just setup for TIG. I could just weld a bead around the end and then grind some material off for the retainer thingies to sit against. I'm not sure about just doing straight pipes cause when I pulled out the baffle in my exhaust it was horribly and annoying loud. I thought I would get some lowend grunt adding the packing to give it a little back pressure but it's just sluggish now. What about making a baffle like this

the Mac's baffler is made to make the muffler chambered if that makes any sense?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts