Cafe Racer Forum banner

Bultaco Helmet Cam Lap Around Willow Springs

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  trepanned23 
#1 ·
1.) This is my first lap around Willow Springs International Raceway 2.5 mi road course on the Bultaco M26/23 250cc with the rebuilt/Scott Clough Racing spec motor. So, yes, I am more or less on a scenic shakedown/break in ride.

There was one other vintage bike out yesterday - a very nice 72 Beemer R75 5/5 - super fast - you see him go by me on turn 9 - the long right hand sweeper before the front straight. By the end of the day, the motor felt "looser" and up on power quite a bit from my morning sessions. May just be my imagination. ? I did notice that the front suspension is smoother on the return after the day. The front brake feels bedded in and just "better" I failed to check things I should have been checking after each session like axle nuts and found myself in an annoying and puckering fishtail at about 80mph in the middle of turn 9. Know better now.

I lost the clutch early because I failed to properly adjust and lock down the pushrod after last weeks futzing around in there. The Dunlops had zero miles on them before yesterday and they appear to be quite "gummy" and sticky once the outer "sheen" had been run off. I am narrowing the "chicken strips"

All in all, I would say that I am real happy with the hook up of the Barnett, the Dunlop 85 and 124 (K)tires. Vintage Brake V2420 race compound and Mikes work. The CB350 DLS front seems more than enough for the bike - so far - we'll see. Engine power seems great but I was out with all Liter bikes, 900's GXR's - whatever- I felt horribly slow even by the end of the day when I was basically just running around between 3/4 and full on the throttle in 4th and 5th. The Mikuni VM36 is snappy and responsive and apparently properly jetted from Sudco for Willow - plug is brownish tan and dry. I am running 14/44 but could probably go down a few teeth in the rear for some more top end. On the final session I hit 98.2 mph on the radar gun. That is all she has, boys. I was happy enough with performance that I just went ahead this morning and entered the AHRMA / Garage Co. Corsa Apr 24-26 - so, see ya there. I'll have fast lap's on the video then.

3.) The camcorder is a new 20/twenty company VholdR wireless, rechargeable battery, 1 Gig deal. I am real happy with it.

- < < < Link to Video

See less See more
#4 ·
watching j-girl was more fun. sorry treps.
-parks
ps. but i did like the ole-western sepia flavor...kinda fit that western track thing.
pps. the best "on bike cams" i've watched have the tach in the foreground....camera mounted on the tank. and good engine sound is always a plus.

#6 ·
Well, I have her all broken in proper now. I just didn't want to push too hard on that run and for sure-J girl is burning down the house on her races. I spent the day fixing the rear axle / swingarm. I couldn't figure out why I was fishtailing thru the long sweepers that day. Turns out a spacer ID was too small in the right rear and the axle nut wasn't biting down on the swing arm. got that fixed today, drilled for cotter pin and safety wired it up.

I also put a 38 T rear sprocket on her. With a 14 drive I now have a 2.71 FDR. That will make a big difference. I was running the 14 / 44 last week - accounts for the weak 97.2 top speed.

I changed out the levers because they were cheap ass crap. I have no slop and lever flop now. Drilled and wired up engine bolts, drain plugs, fork and brake fasteners, etc. Inspected front and rear brake pads. Serious fun. Getting ready for the AHRMA races 24-26 APR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.