Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my GS1000 the guy selling it said to come back and he'd show me some other GS stuff he had, which included a wrecked GS550 with safety wiring and Konis, but he also has a bunch of other crap that he hasn't touched since he was crippled in the accident that wrecked the 550.

Sitting in a corner of the garage between a freshly powder coated (in 1982) RD400 frame and a Yamaha AT-1, was a crusty looking Bultaco.

I asked about it and he said it was a Metralla street bike. I'd never heard of one before, but I've looked them up and they are damn sweet. It's missing quite a few parts, so I think it would make an awesome cafe 'stroker.

I'm headed over there to buy some more GS stuff from him (NOS oil cooler, Accel points plate and coils, filters) and I plan to talk to him about the Bultaco. I think I'll come with a wad of $100s and see if he'll cut it loose for $400 or so. I know they're worth $3000-$4000 in restored condition, but this one is far from that.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I wouldn't go above $200 unless he could put a title in your hand.

When restoring any off brand bike (bultaco, husquvarana, mv agusta, etc...) take the number of missing pieces and multiply it by $500 and that should give you a ball park figure of how much it will cost to get running condition (and that is a conservative number, it can cost more).

250cc 2 strokes are fun bikes, but don't let the mystery of something cool looking fool you into thinking it is a good idea.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I wouldn't go above $200 unless he could put a title in your hand.

When restoring any off brand bike (bultaco, husquvarana, mv agusta, etc...) take the number of missing pieces and multiply it by $500 and that should give you a ball park figure of how much it will cost to get running condition (and that is a conservative number, it can cost more).

250cc 2 strokes are fun bikes, but don't let the mystery of something cool looking fool you into thinking it is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
robman
geets is a bright guy virtually all the time but his $200.00 limit shows he's clueless on this one. bodywork is important, true. but they fetch a bit more than your guess as 100 pointers. a full resto is 2K min. and easy to go over 3k if there are missing parts and a lot of engine work req. if you aren't interested, let me know as i have restored many tacos and have two going on now. wouldn't mind another.
-parks

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
robman
geets is a bright guy virtually all the time but his $200.00 limit shows he's clueless on this one. bodywork is important, true. but they fetch a bit more than your guess as 100 pointers. a full resto is 2K min. and easy to go over 3k if there are missing parts and a lot of engine work req. if you aren't interested, let me know as i have restored many tacos and have two going on now. wouldn't mind another.
-parks

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
parks...I have no idea what bultacos go for these days, just throwing out my general rule of thumb for dealing with offbeat machinery. Had no idea that they trade for so much (my value guide says about $10K).

and yeah...when it comes to off beat marks and pre 1970's bikes I'm basically useless.

There is one lingering question, is this the appropriate bike for him to "restore"? he was talking about "cafe"-ing the thing and well, sometimes good canidates for restorations can get butchered by well meaning individuals.

and yes sometimes I am a know-it-all too....

Edited by - geeto67 on Dec 14 2007 6:40:50 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
parks...I have no idea what bultacos go for these days, just throwing out my general rule of thumb for dealing with offbeat machinery. Had no idea that they trade for so much (my value guide says about $10K).

and yeah...when it comes to off beat marks and pre 1970's bikes I'm basically useless.

There is one lingering question, is this the appropriate bike for him to "restore"? he was talking about "cafe"-ing the thing and well, sometimes good canidates for restorations can get butchered by well meaning individuals.

and yes sometimes I am a know-it-all too....

Edited by - geeto67 on Dec 14 2007 6:40:50 PM

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
agreed...it would pain me to see a butchered taco. that being said, metrallas have great potential as cafe platforms. with missing parts,(ie f. fender and side covers) (one being a tool box) a bit of artistic license is acceptable. the power is very good for a 250 of any period (100 mph top speed) and the handling is (considered by many) superior to any bike in it's day. thus their blue chip value. parts (all) are expensive (especially the ones that you're missing) but available...
i set up my first metralla as a cafe/street legal roadracer with clip ons, rear sets, a bultaco roadracing tank, cup seat, and a snappier than stock engine configuration. rode 8-9k miles on the street and started vintage roadracing on it with the uscra by taking off the lights etc. to race and putting them back on after race weekends. the position was racey but not good for more than an hour in public. got tired of the swap over deal and position and eventually took it off the street to go 100% race mode and still race it today 13 years later.
restored another a few years back 100% stock but with clubmans (sorry geets). as sold, metrallas are wonderful vintage bikes. can ride all day long on it in comfortand can ride stupid fast if neccesary (but don't...have a kid now).
keep it (the resto) simple, the bike/engine stock, and the end result can be a super cafe bike.
sorry guys, tmi, but i've loved these bikes for a long time.
-parks

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
agreed...it would pain me to see a butchered taco. that being said, metrallas have great potential as cafe platforms. with missing parts,(ie f. fender and side covers) (one being a tool box) a bit of artistic license is acceptable. the power is very good for a 250 of any period (100 mph top speed) and the handling is (considered by many) superior to any bike in it's day. thus their blue chip value. parts (all) are expensive (especially the ones that you're missing) but available...
i set up my first metralla as a cafe/street legal roadracer with clip ons, rear sets, a bultaco roadracing tank, cup seat, and a snappier than stock engine configuration. rode 8-9k miles on the street and started vintage roadracing on it with the uscra by taking off the lights etc. to race and putting them back on after race weekends. the position was racey but not good for more than an hour in public. got tired of the swap over deal and position and eventually took it off the street to go 100% race mode and still race it today 13 years later.
restored another a few years back 100% stock but with clubmans (sorry geets). as sold, metrallas are wonderful vintage bikes. can ride all day long on it in comfortand can ride stupid fast if neccesary (but don't...have a kid now).
keep it (the resto) simple, the bike/engine stock, and the end result can be a super cafe bike.
sorry guys, tmi, but i've loved these bikes for a long time.
-parks

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's cool - I wouldn't cut up a rare bike like that.

Just so it's clear, I'm not an 18-year-old with my dad's mig welder and a can of spraypaint. Since I was 14 years old I've restored a Solex moped, 5 vintage Vespas (GS160, GS150, Rally 200, P125 and GL), a NSU Superfox (doesn't really count as "restore" since I just cleaned it up & rebuilt the motor) and 2 Lambrettas (TV175 and Series 2 LI150). My CB450 is just my latest project after a couple of years messing with cars and not having a garage in the city.

However, 100 point stock restorations are just not fun for me any more. I prefer to do period mods and build "resto-mod" stuff. Check out my CB - you'll note that the only frame mods are the tig'ed tubes for the rearset brackets.

If I do buy the Metralla I'll replace the missing parts with Airtech stuff and perhaps swap the forks for 35mm Betors, but I'll use 90% of it as-is and I don't plan to cut the frame at all. It would be very trick to do a TSS replica with the long tank and everything.

For example, the Lambretta TV175 I built in the early '90s had 100% stock bodywork but a Mikuni carb, 200cc TS1 cylinder, GP200 engine cases, hydraulic front disc and a WCLW custom expansion chamber.

But in the years I stopped messing with them, vintage scooters became ridiculously valuable and I just don't find cheap projects any more. Plus they bore me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's cool - I wouldn't cut up a rare bike like that.

Just so it's clear, I'm not an 18-year-old with my dad's mig welder and a can of spraypaint. Since I was 14 years old I've restored a Solex moped, 5 vintage Vespas (GS160, GS150, Rally 200, P125 and GL), a NSU Superfox (doesn't really count as "restore" since I just cleaned it up & rebuilt the motor) and 2 Lambrettas (TV175 and Series 2 LI150). My CB450 is just my latest project after a couple of years messing with cars and not having a garage in the city.

However, 100 point stock restorations are just not fun for me any more. I prefer to do period mods and build "resto-mod" stuff. Check out my CB - you'll note that the only frame mods are the tig'ed tubes for the rearset brackets.

If I do buy the Metralla I'll replace the missing parts with Airtech stuff and perhaps swap the forks for 35mm Betors, but I'll use 90% of it as-is and I don't plan to cut the frame at all. It would be very trick to do a TSS replica with the long tank and everything.

For example, the Lambretta TV175 I built in the early '90s had 100% stock bodywork but a Mikuni carb, 200cc TS1 cylinder, GP200 engine cases, hydraulic front disc and a WCLW custom expansion chamber.

But in the years I stopped messing with them, vintage scooters became ridiculously valuable and I just don't find cheap projects any more. Plus they bore me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have seen a few Taco road racers in pictures and on the net,some factory I assume and some by private hands. They absolutely make some of the best looking road race bikes this side of a Manx Norton.

Don't believe me then look here! Absolutely stunning! http://www.seitz.us/metralla/racers/index.html
Look here too(on same page): http://www.bulmetralla.com/

I really dig the Scrambler/trials Bultacos floating around and if I came around to getting one of those I would restore it just like the race bike they were meant to be. http://cemoto.tripod.com/bultaco.htm

To me the Bultacos just seem to be one of those rare do all brands that have(had) success in any and every type of racing they delved into and I applaud them for that.

Much like Hodaka which I am very fond of also(see my Hodaka Ace Racer project http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5488)they came on the scene and whether by design or by chance(but mostly hard work)they became very competitive in many different forms of racing.

Edited by - coolatula on Dec 15 2007 10:51:49 AM

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have seen a few Taco road racers in pictures and on the net,some factory I assume and some by private hands. They absolutely make some of the best looking road race bikes this side of a Manx Norton.

Don't believe me then look here! Absolutely stunning! http://www.seitz.us/metralla/racers/index.html
Look here too(on same page): http://www.bulmetralla.com/

I really dig the Scrambler/trials Bultacos floating around and if I came around to getting one of those I would restore it just like the race bike they were meant to be. http://cemoto.tripod.com/bultaco.htm

To me the Bultacos just seem to be one of those rare do all brands that have(had) success in any and every type of racing they delved into and I applaud them for that.

Much like Hodaka which I am very fond of also(see my Hodaka Ace Racer project http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5488)they came on the scene and whether by design or by chance(but mostly hard work)they became very competitive in many different forms of racing.

Edited by - coolatula on Dec 15 2007 10:51:49 AM

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The same guy also has Hodaka speed parts catalog he was showing me. Apparently they made road race pipes and stuff back in the day.

Edited by - robertob on Dec 15 2007 11:02:31 AM

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The same guy also has Hodaka speed parts catalog he was showing me. Apparently they made road race pipes and stuff back in the day.

Edited by - robertob on Dec 15 2007 11:02:31 AM

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
My Bultaco Mercurio posing with Hugh himself. Not a Metralla but a nice 175. Total resto in progress and will be ready for the fall motogiro usa.

JS

1 - 20 of 85 Posts