Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! Brand new to the site and I wasn't going to post just yet but i've been saving for a bike and all of a sudden got some CL options for the cb550 that I want. If any could pass on advice on which machine to choose from looking at the post links i'm all ears.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/6093955915.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/6101159182.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/6085861333.html

**update** A friend just sent this Ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Honda-CB-/201899359772?hash=item2f0223be1c:g:EqoAAOSwuspY-UBj&vxp=mtr

Considering the price difference and me currently having no experience
restoring a bike, you think I could get it running?

"Oh the new guy wants a cafe, surprise surprise..."

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
First one is meh.
Second one is the best out of that group
fuck the third one....FUCK iT!

have you ever ridden a motorcycle?
what are you planing on doing with your new bike?

Reactions: cmecole

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Normally, I'd agree with you two, but I have a feeling the the OP's vision is along the lines of #3. In which case, I'd say choose #3 and spare the first two from that atrocious fate.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Didn't I fill it all out? It looks right on my end

- - - Updated - - -

Normally, I'd agree with you two, but I have a feeling the the OP's vision is along the lines of #3. In which case, I'd say choose #3 and spare the first two from that atrocious fate.

Honestly with the condition of the first 2, I probably wouldn't even cafe it. I would 100% keep the second as is.

- - - Updated - - -

First one is meh.
Second one is the best out of that group
fuck the third one....FUCK iT!

have you ever ridden a motorcycle?
what are you planing on doing with your new bike?

How do you feel about the price points? Ya I used to dirtbike all the time growing up but never street. Parents had to sell it all around 8 years old. can't tell if you mean "doing" riding wise or aesthetically. I was originally planning on doing a brat style bike since a few of my friends with more mechanical experience are building their own. As for riding it would mostly be city riding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the first two....go punch the third guy in the dick for that shit.
Would you mind being more specific about the reason for the dick punch? Only so I can be aware of who I should punch when looking at other bikes.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Eliminated muffler so it's a straight pipe. FAIL Don't be that asshole with the obnoxiously loud bike. It does NOT sound good and impresses no one.

Eliminated the airbox and put pod filters on. Instant fail for the guys here who know about Japanese carbs (this works fine on old Ducatis)

Custom built license plate holder with old school lamp. Sounding like hipster bullshit to me. Could be cool but judging by the dipshit that runs a bike with no muffler it's likely crap.

HUGE red flag? "May need clean gas" How hard is it to put gas in a bike before you sell it? If he can't even be bothered to put new gas in it to cure whatever problem it was that made him think it might need this, what are the chances any of the work/maintanence on this thing has been done to a decent standard?

Or, he knows it's NEVER run right after ditching the muffler and the airbox, even after spending the money on having a jet kit put in. Which is why it didn't get ridden enough to keep fresh gas in it, and why he's not going to waste the $5 to put new gas in it and make it run right for the prospective buyer. He'd rather take cool bro pics of it and sell it to the next guy who hasn't got a clue.

Or maybe I'm just bitter cuz it's yet another cbwhatever with no muffler...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Didn't I fill it all out? It looks right on my end.....
That link wasn't about filling out your bio. And since you asked the following question:

Would you mind being more specific about the reason for the dick punch? Only so I can be aware of who I should punch when looking at other bikes.
.....you obviously didn't read the entire thread.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Join dotheton.

Reactions: knappyfeet

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
8ball is right.
the PO is just looking to play dress up, and since most have moved on from thenbandwagon he might as well use on of the left over bikes.
no need to fuck something else up.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
ok, let's break it down:

- The cb550 weighs about mid 400lbs, but has spindly 35mm forks. You know what keeps those fork sliders moving in sync and also adds some strength to the front end? the heavy steel front fender. It acts as a fork brace on these old bikes. Taking it out means that you have now made the stock bike handle worse than stock. not something someone who is experienced in riding a motorcycle would do. Not to mention that now every bit of crap the front tire picks up gets flung at your face.

- "Top of the line pods"....yeah right. Those looks like shitty cheap emgo pods from here and honestly, they don't do anything. The stock airbox was designed by honda engineers to improve the overall driveability of the vehicle. It is not restrictive and taking it out does not add horsepower - in fact in most cases you lose hp. people who do this always talk about "free-er breathing" which may be true for your cousins' 1960's dodge dart but isn't for 4cyl motorcycles derived directly from GP racing tech and running 4 individual carbs. I could see the justification if the head was ported or the carbs were bigger than stock, but pods on a stock engine, stock carb cb550 for looks is just fucking stupid and it kills most of your part throttle operation.

- no rear fender (and no signals I can see). most people don't like having a skunk stripe of road debris and dirt up their back, and the people behind you don't really like small rocks being tossed at their windshields regularly. I'm not saying you have to run the stock one only, there are many ways to make a nice fender for the back, but just removing the stock one and calling it a day? man that's just lazy.

- That exhaust. So the cb400F and cb550F supersport have one of the most sexy exhausts that came on a factory honda. Those waterfall headpipes are just magnificent in gleaming chrome. And he wrapped them in toilet paper...um...i mean...header wrap for no reason other than it looks cool. For most bikes it does nothing but prematurely cause the exhaust to rust. Sometimes there is a use for it, but not here. but what really chaffe's my buns is the straight pipe. Ever hear an unmuffled cb550? it's not like a harley - its more like a VW beetle whose muffler rotted off. I'm not one of the "loud pipes save lives" bullshit - because it is bullshit - making the bike as loud as you possibly can isn't cool - it's just being an inconsiderate asshole to the people that have to live near you.

As a personal taste matter - rattle can flat black paint is for hacks. The only time it has ever marginally looked good is when ducati painted their monsters matte black from the factory (called the monster dark) and even then it was cool for like a second and then it just looked like junk. And they used real 2 pack paint.

Overall the bike just looks like something someone with no real understanding and no real riding experience tried to make look cool. And honestly, I get it, if I didn't have the expirence of being pelted with gravel, pebbles, and sand or dirty puddle water from riding with out a front fender, or literally watched the front end distort on a graded roadway when I took the front fender off my cb, or racked up thousands upon thousands of miles trying everything that guy did and finding out it sucked hard I would think it is cool too. But the reality is there are people who want to ride and there are people who want to use motorcycles to look cool as they pose in front of the coffeehouse, and if you fall into that second camp, don't be surprised if the people who ride think less of your "custom" motorcycle.

now while we are on the subject....please stop saying the word brat. When americans talk about "bratstyle" they are just regurgitating whatever mouth turd was spewed by some other idiot who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about either.

This is bratstyle:
BRATSTYLE-????????

only the shit that comes out of the japanese customizer called "bratstyle" deserves to be called that. And by the way, these are all choppers, not racers. anybody who refers to their beat to shit honda with a flat seat as "bratstyle" is just pissing on the leg of actual these actual talented motorcycle customizers. I want you to think really hard about that and look through their website. And understand a lot of the bikes they build aren't really anything more than the current embodiment of form over function chopper culture.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would give the cb400f pipes a home and promise to remove the wrap.. my CB400 has a freaking Moturd exhaust!!

The only reason these bikes have a flat seat is because its easy to do... my local club meets have around 150 bikes arrive on a Wednesday night.. all bikes welcome except brown seats!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts