Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my neighbor is selling his 1973 r90/6. cheap. $1500 is is starting price, maybe i can lower it.

what's wrong?

he fried the wiring harness in 1998 while putting on taller bars and a fairing, hasn't fixed it. this started a fire that melted the turn signals and "dechromed" the pipes.

it has an r70 top end...why, i didn't ask. all new bearings, cylinders, pistons, heads. maybe i should find out.

fairly decent mileage, maybe 32k on the airhead.

tank is all shitty (it's an oxidized red color), needs a new seat. basically, a cosmetic redo.

worth it? talk him down? it's been sitting for a year. i was drunk and chatted him up (he's a weird guy). "you want it? oh, i dunno $1500. whatever i can get".

he starts it up on occasion, looks at it, then turns it off and goes inside.

seems you can do these bikes up cafe stylee fairly easily and inexpensively. anyone know a good paint guy?

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
if you really want it, talk him down. he'll lower the price if you keep nagging him with cold hard cash. but I don't know anything about them. there's a page out there with a ton of cool cafe bmw's. and then there's that homemade frame monoshock monster which is pretty cool too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey,

Don't worry about is having sat for a year. I picked up a 74 R90/6 last year and it was sitting for about 8 years. New tires, battery, starter relay, and changed the fluids and it has been running fine for about 12k miles.

I say go for it. Mine isn't as svelte as my 69 Norton, but it will munch up the miles, and parts that fit are readily available. they can get a bit pricey though.

Copperhead
-New Hampshire

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. i have checked out that site and i think i'll be getting the bike for less than i thought. he's holding onto it...it's been in the yard for a year and a half and he just moves it around to different places when after it's started. i guess that's for nostalgia's sake.

i'm gonna sell my honda dream first...lots of vintage guys have inquired, at least 20, but the drag bars and black rims turn them off. i personally think all the other dreams are crap, but that's just me.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
thanks. i have checked out that site and i think i'll be getting the bike for less than i thought. he's holding onto it...it's been in the yard for a year and a half and he just moves it around to different places when after it's started. i guess that's for nostalgia's sake.

i'm gonna sell my honda dream first...lots of vintage guys have inquired, at least 20, but the drag bars and black rims turn them off. i personally think all the other dreams are crap, but that's just me.
its reallly hard to sell bikes that you've been holding onto for years. thats why i have ~10 bikes in various states of repair.

It cracks me up, though, the guys that want a 1960's bike like it just rolled out of the fuckin showrrom. Most likely don't want to ride it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts