Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always enjoyed bikes but started really getting into the styling of cafe racers over the past two years or so. I've finally decided to bite the bullet and go for it, but was hoping to get some advice on finding a good project bike. I have been leaning towards a CB 450 after running across a cafe called Lucky 13 a little while back. However, I haven't been able to find much in the way of craigslist until today. I just saw this post, but feel like this bike is a little too pricey for a project. Is this bike a little too "nice" to use as a project, or is there such a thing? Any input is much appreciated.

***1982 Honda Nighthawk CB 450 $2200.00 obo***

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The "Lucky 13" bike is a real cb450 (though the build is not that great..)

The nighthawk shares nothing but a manufacturer with a real cb450.

That said, no one should ever feel bad about cutting up a nighthawk, but then again, no one should waste their time cutting up a nighthawk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I am not that well versed on my bike history. I've been drawn to cafe racers more from an artistic standpoint. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Oh boy......I'll get the popcorn.

OP, I would start reading some threads around here, particularly in the build thread section.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I'll lay it out plainly for you.

Most people here (at least, those who stay around) can completely tear down and rebuild a motorcycle.

In doing so, most of us make them work better than they did stock.

Race bikes look like they do because of WHAT they do.

We don't care about 'style'.

If you build a street legal racebike, you'll have a 'cafe racer'.

If you build a 'cafe racer', you'll have a piece of shit.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Only a cbx will do for a cafe racer for you.

Seriously though.... buy a cbr250 and live through your first year riding.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
OK - forget about cafe racers and style and all that other bullshit.

Your first bike should be a bike for you to learn on. Learn not to die on, to be more precise. Motorcycling is dangerous. Riding on the road with a bunch of cars that can't / won't see you is even more so.

And you don't want a "project" bike. You want a running, reliable, as new as possible bike so you can learn how to ride - not how to wrench.

Do a course (MSF?). Seriously - it will teach you more than you could ever think possible.

Then look for a 250 Ninja or VTR250 or similar. Remember - you want as new as possible, reliable and neutral riding position to learn on.

Then come back with your cafe project questions in 12 months.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
the best way to learn a motorcycle is on a dirt bike in a muddy field or a gravel pit.period
to go out on the city streets, COLD, these days with all the stupid fuckers playing with their fones is sooeeside

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
the best way to learn a motorcycle is on a dirt bike in a muddy field or a gravel pit.period
to go out on the city streets, COLD, these days with all the stupid fuckers playing with their fones is sooeeside
This, pretty much.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I'll lay it out plainly for you.

If you build a street legal racebike, you'll have a 'cafe racer'.

If you build a 'cafe racer', you'll have a piece of shit.
LOL, that has GOT to be the best quote EVER :cool:

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts