Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for someone to build a CB550 or 750 Cafe Racer near Cleveland, Ohio similar to the attached photo. I have a budget of 3K. Any references would be greatly appreciated. Seaweed_canada-cb550.jpg

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Ohio similar to the attached photo.

View attachment 19948
If only there was a giant lake you could jump into to help you come to your senses....oh wait....

I have a budget of 3K. Any references would be greatly appreciated.
you don't have enough money to "comission" a bike. Take your $3K to vintage motorcycle days at mid-ohio and try to buy something decent with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I jump into the suggested "lake" I would find all the previous members that build P.O.S. bikes for 10K that claim they are "good". I have built several vintage cafe's in my days under 3K. Thats whats "makes" a good builder with real interests in the hobby and those who are money hungry that claim its a good bike *hense* end up in the bottom on that "lake". I'm only looking for help being new in the area after severe physical disabilities putting me closer to my son, who the bike is for. As you say: Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

- - - Updated - - -

That seems to influence alot of "failures".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do me the favor and ban me from your intellectual baggart members who seems to do nothing but hover over forums waiting for "victims" to give witless information. "GOOD WITH YOUR FINGERS, BUT SHITLESS WITH YOUR HANDS". Prove it, then fail better.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Do me the favor and ban me from your intellectual baggart members who seems to do nothing but hover over forums waiting for "victims" to give witless information. "GOOD WITH YOUR FINGERS, BUT SHITLESS WITH YOUR HANDS". Prove it, then fail better.
Well aren't you special. You showed up in a forum and posted a pic of a fuckin disaster and asked for help to do it again. It is obvious you didn't take a minute to know where you are before you started down this road. After seeing your approach here, your term witless is well suited but for you. I normally wouldn't resort to name calling but since you opened that door, game on. So back up, take a minute to read "new members" and a few posts, then after a rethink you might just fuck off or try again. This thread was doomed from word one and that's on you. But have a great day anyway good ta meet ya.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's only 2 pages long at this time but this should win "thread of the week". One of the future classics.
And what's with the "crappy workmanship is great as long as you don't spend money" attitude lately?

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I can literally see the rage sweat coming off your fingers onto to the keyboard from typing this....calm down. I'll make it super easy for you:

1) The bike you posted is not a cafe racer. It is not really even a motorcycle - it is an marginally ride-able art project created to sell t-shirts.

2) Shops, or individual people want to get paid for their time when they build a commissioned bike. There are over $3k worth of parts in that "example" shitpile you posted not counting the labor. The only way you are going to get something close to that is to find someone selling something similar that they built themselves on craigslist or to build it your self

3) If you are doing this for another person it is a waste of everyone's time. Let them figure it out on their own. I get that you want to do something nice for your son but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

you want a recommendation? Here it is: make sure your son has a license, gear, and experience riding a motorcycle. If he doesn't then spend the money in those areas. If he does, go visit cleveland cycle works and get a 250cc ace - which will be safe, ride-able and have a warranty. Best part? new they are $3200.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
In case the newbie is still reading this form - Sir, I am sure the 3K you have in your pocket to spend is a fair amount of money - frankly - is a fair amount in most people's pockets. But let get a little down to earth here - the build your looking for is really not possible for the amount of money you have to spend. To start with - no one in this form would build a bike as crappy as the picture of the one you have displayed. Just to purchase a decent enough bike to start with that has a title and the engine is fairly low mileage and is in good shape is 1K to 1.5K - that's half your bank roll to start with. Stripping the bike down - replacing found bad components, cleaning carbs, making seats, buying new tires and paint is easily another 1.5 to 2k - now your 500 hundred over your original budget. Then there is the matter of paying taxes, licensing and other government things could add up to another 500 hundred. Now your 1K over your budget. Let's say for argument sake the number of hours to build 'A' custom bike is around 100 hours. Even at the federal min wage of 7.50/hr that's another 750 dollars which would put you almost 2K over your original budget of 3K for a total of 5K. So what your asking for is not possible. Even if you pre-purchased a motorcycle and dropped it off to a builder - your budget still wouldn't be enough.

Geeto's suggestion of purchasing an already customized at some place like Mid-Ohio or off ebay would be the best thing you could try. It's not that you have a crazy idea - it's just the economics don't work.

Geeto - you beat my posting but you and I are on the same page for this guy...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts