Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hanging around for awhile...I would like to cafe my Yamaha IT 465,, I am not sure if I should use the frame and front end or should I take the motor out and put it in something different...The problem I see using the front end is the length and the overall height of the bike itself...Any input would be appreciated or if anyone has seen pics(other than the ones on this site) of any dirtbike conversions...Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
...seems like too much work to me, but it's your bike, your time, and your idea. good luck!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but the IT465 is a pure dirt bike right? How are you going to get tags on it without a VIN? If Yamaha made a similar enduro version and you could find a titled frame cheap, then you could look at making a streetable cafe bike. With the old school monoshock rear suspension, it could turn out really cool....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe the IT is an enduro-ish bike, right? doesn't it have a headlight and tail light and is blue? YZ and TT were dirt only...

I agree with everyone else that you'd probably, actually definately be better off selling and buying something more suitable to start with, but like catboy said, it's your bike, time, and oh yeah, MONEY.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
A buddy had a plate on his IT a looong time ago.

I'd look for a different frontend. It's not gonna have enough brakes for pavement anyway. If it's the old style monoshock you should be able to lop off the rear of the frame and fab up something for a bump stop seat without changing anything structural. Ditch the airbox entirely. Shouldn't be any harder to switch out tanks on it than anything else.

I've thought about doing something similar, but only feasible if you can get a plate on it and not get bothered once it's done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I probably should have given more info in the first post....I am in Ca, so I have heard about somthing called the"grandfather rule" where the bike is so old they have no way to know if it was on-or-off road...And I need to have a battery, signals, horn and hi-lo beams, and then take it to the DMV....I have built a few cafe' bikes before KZ650 and CB750, really wanted to do a 2 stroke single with power...I have a GPZ 750 roller, but I figured it might be more work getting that back wheel and motor to line up...

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I have an IT200, it's a great bike - good luck on getting it road legal and let us see the results.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Initially, I would stick the motor into another street legal frame that already has tags on it. That way you don't have to get it inspected or anything. My frame of choice would be an RZ350 or SRX250. I would not want a 750 sized frame, too big. The other frame to consider if you wanted to go older style would be RD250/350/400. You could put TZ bodywork on it and have something cool.

Ken

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If you put the IT motor into a different frame, I would stick an XS650 motor into the IT chassis and roost it around.

Ken

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Kevin,

Is it the old school style IT465 with the spine type monoshock? Like this one:

I think it would make a cool cafe/street fighter style bike.

Fist things first - get it road legal. Find out now if you can get tags for it. Once you KNOW you can run it on the street, then start the cafe process. One thing you may not have considered is if the IT465 charging system will keep the battery topped up with lights, blinkers, a horn, etc...

Switch out the rear tire for some street rubber. The rear rim is a 2.50 x 17 so you can easily fit a nice BT45 Bridgestone or similar sticky tire on there.

You're almost spoiled for choice on the front. You can go traditional with a 35mm diameter fork set-up off a CB550/750, an XS650, a GT550/750, etc.... Personally, I'd get Buchannons to lace up a 17" rim on whatever you choose to allow a BT45 (or similar) up front. Or look at front end off a modern sport bike (although getting a spoked front rim that will work might be tricky).

Check out the tech section at:

www.ohiocaferacers.com

They have a handy chart for steering bearing sizes that will help you match up front ends. I'd definitely look at swapping in a whole assembly if possible as it will make your life easier in the long run. I've pieced together one too many front ends to ever want to do it again....

Then you'll just need to figure out a different fuel tank and a bum stop and you're set!

I say go for it and keep us posted on how it goes!

Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes same bike in the pictures in this thread...About the charging system, I have been told that I can take the power wire that runs the lights now and hook it to a rectifier then the positive side of the battery, then a small fuse block, and then wire the horn, lights, etc. from there...About the problem with finding another frame for the bike, I am 6'3" and 250 so I am limited to what frame I can use...I would look like a bear at the circus on a SRX or about any RD set-up...I may take the front end and wheels of the GPZ roller that I have and try adapt them to fit, rear disc brake and all...The first 2 problems that I will have is, the rear shock travel(height of the rear) and aligning the sprockets...Kevin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found this browsing..Reading some of the comments the builder says he recomends using stock frame and then add wheels..Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts