Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Does it matter? do it really need a label? will calling it a cafe make it more or less badass than calling it a chopper?

Well if you must call it something it's a chopper (so help me if someone here calls it a bobber I WILL put my foot through the screen) although honestly it is really just a custom bike...

I will say this though...those japanese builders really have an eye for old world detail that most american and europeans miss. Polished aluminum and brass, espically on cast pieces, looks so much better than chrome. Also the raised detailing instead of paint, nice touch. The lesson to be learned from this bike is all about build quality. Here we have a minimalist bike that, albeit is more form than function, but really shows you that you can have a bike with "nothing" on it and still give it style that isn't all paint work. To apply this to the cafe world, remember at the core of a cafe bike is a functional performance motorcycle, however making your own emblems, embracing natural or polished finishes, detailing can give it a more purposeful look than that dumbass breadbox fiberglass tank and boat tail ever would.

newbies - study this bike and bikes like it. Not for it's layout but for its quality of detailing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truthfully, I don't care about the labels. (I just needed something to name the thread) plus I found the picture in a Japanese chopper magazine. Some of the stuff over here is unbelievable style wise.

I'll hand it to the japanese, they can turn a yamaha sr400 into any style of bike imaginable, cafe, chopper, custom, etc. its amazing.

I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to the site of japanese businessmen riding to work on the little honda apes in a suit & tie. I think thats always going to be funny.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I see it as useless for actual riding if not on the back of a pick up truck, are the people who build "bikes" like these with skeletons so much different than my own? must be

whereas I've owned a couple TLR's and they are anything but useless for their intended purpose

which is serious trials riding

far from the best trials bikes but I actually geared one of my mint condition TLR's taller and used it for actual transportation

it really worked well as an enduro

then I sold it for riches beyond reason

the art/sculpture end of it

nice work but I'm not a fan of Tolle art or how that crude art form finds it's influence landing on many bikes

it's really a stupid custom bike if you ask me

even the tires are stupid and the induction is even stupider

·
Registered
222 Posts
I disagree, Hack. I think it's pretty cool--all of it. But then again, I love build stuff more than I do riding/drive them. That one might not be a good distance-riding bike :)

--Chris

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
hey that's cool......

I think it is visually offensive, intellectually insulting, and ill conceived

and cannot imagine my broken up old body suffering it for even a few quick laps around the block

I would however, do dirty deeds to have another nice TLR and the mere notion of spending my efforts to end up with something not useful to ride would have long ago had me back in the sales business or any number of other things I've done

maybe if it sunk into my skull deep enough I could resign myself to pursuing a career in finger painting with water colors

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
come here, I have several jobs for you and I'm sure you'll be happier than a hog in dung......

and I'll pay you too

quote:Originally posted by chrisf

I disagree, Hack. I think it's pretty cool--all of it. But then again, I love build stuff more than I do riding/drive them. That one might not be a good distance-riding bike :)

--Chris

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think it looks cool, but now that Hack mentions it, you would need to have like super long arms in addition to tiny legs. The angle the seat is at + the peg location X the handle bars does not add up...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey walmart sells a motorcycle just like that and I seen some kid riding it around my block the other day. O wait that was one of those chopper bicycles for kids, thats it. That what it reminds me of with the kick stand and all, but seriously that is a cool bike I would rock that for sure.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
As a bike - it is useless

As an art project - It is subjective, I like the way it looks as art, some don't. It is not a good functional bike and that is not a factor for me as art but it might be for other people.

As a lesson in detailing a custom bike I think there is a lot to be learned from the japanese and this is one really good example. you may not agree with some of the choices he has made but at least it gets you thinking about things that end up slap dash on many american and european built bikes.

Love it or hate it someone spent a lot of time on it thinking about details and there is merit in that.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
generally I agree with most of this but

when sixth grade artsy craftsy fru fru is pasted on a bike just for eye crack and does nary one thing to merit it's keep by improving or facilitating any necessary function

it's really easy for me to dismiss it altogether if it's pretending to be an actual bike

and I'd really have to see many more up close details to decide if it really did have any useful or pleasing details as you seem to think it does

I really can't tell much about all that with this one tiny pic

but then again, I'm really not a fan of much of the Japanese custom stuff I see although (GOSH DAYUM that is nearly UNAMERICAN to say huh?) I am typically able to appreciate and respect a detail here or there, and on some bikes I am able to admire many details and what appears to be masterful workmanship

but have seen very few that appealed to me from one end to the other

did I mention I don't like Tolle art either?

I love sushi and shashimi though and I love the demure demeanor of the traditional Japanese women

I really know better than to play critic especially when I'm not directly asked and my apology to the builder/owner of this item if my opinions offend you.

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

As a bike - it is useless

As an art project - It is subjective, I like the way it looks as art, some don't. It is not a good functional bike and that is not a factor for me as art but it might be for other people.

As a lesson in detailing a custom bike I think there is a lot to be learned from the japanese and this is one really good example. you may not agree with some of the choices he has made but at least it gets you thinking about things that end up slap dash on many american and european built bikes.

Love it or hate it someone spent a lot of time on it thinking about details and there is merit in that.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I doubt if the builder/owner gives a flying fig what anyone thinks, he/she likes it, built it and in theory rides it. Its not my thing, and I'm wishing those Dunlop K180's were mine, still its a cool piece......for a bobber.
couldn't resist Geeto, How'z the monitor holding up?
cheers,bcr

1 - 15 of 15 Posts