Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1970 CB450 in original condition for a great price. Over time I would like to turn it into a “Café” bike. Really all I want to do is put clubman bars and a bubble seat on it and leave the rest as is. Any suggestions on what seat fits the best? I was looking at Air Tech’s website and they have a good selection of seats but I don’t know which one is easier to mount. If I do find a bubble seat would I need to make/find an upholstery pan? One last thing, should I remove the rear fender, and if so, what are my options for a tail light?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I ain't touching the clubman topic. Search around for board opinions on that one.

I will say that it may be wise to prepare yourself for a fair amount of fabrication, especially when talking about changing the seat to a bump stop. Your instincts are correct; the bitch will be what you come up with for a taillight/license plate mount solution (and upholstery).

Most remove the rear fender entirely.

Again, search the forum. Come up with some specific solution ideas you like and maybe somebody can give you some insight. There is a ton of expertise on here.

A clean '70 450 is a good find. Save all the parts you remove.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
where did I put that 10 foot pole?.....

tell you what ahow about instead of clubmans I can come by in about five years and hit your wrists and lower back with a hammer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a 74' with clubmans on them... not too bad. I'm coming from sport bike riding on the streets with ZX7's, R6's and such. Also, been racing for 7 years on TZ125, FZR, ZX7, R6 and SV's, my back is already messed up.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
why is cafe in quotes? cliche is cliche whether or not you dress it up with cute punctuation. search both clubmans and bubble seat and you'll inevitably find plenty of banter on what i'm talkin' about.

make your own seat. fabricate some rearsets. do it right. if you're not willing to committ to proper modifications, leave it stock. otherwise, it'll just be another quotation worthy attempt. and for god's sake don't paint it flat black!

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you are putting clubmans and a bubble seat just to get the "cafe" look as you say then you are missing the point. Most of us get enjoyment out of making our own parts, modifying parts from other bikes to fit ours, and generally just hacking away at something till it is functional and looks good to us. If you are buying parts out of a catalog just to make your bike fit in then you might want to stick with the sport bike crowd. If you are serious about making your bike not only look cool but perform and handle better then by all means stick around and ask lots of questions. Needless to say we reserve the right to openly laugh at any clubman questions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Baninja,

You might consider clipons instead of the clubmans, that way you can lower your forks in the tripples more easily. A member here, Champ, sells clipons for your bike for a very reasonable price, you can see them here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLIP...ryZ35610QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

As far as the seat goes, you may also want to contact the member here who does re-pop stuff for our bikes. He's very knowlegable and very happy to help. Heres his website: http://caferacingparts.com/. You can also look at some people on ebay who sell seats too, for better prices than what you would pay airtech for. The money you save there will help make up for the price difference getting the clipons over the clubmans.

I hope I'e been some help.

Laurence

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
my advise to you is to do your own research and not wonder what we think.

once you have done some research, then you have the right to just openly ask questions and solicit advise here.

and finally, if you are going to modify that bike in ANY way....i highly recommend getting other parts to do it with. i.e.: are you planning on bobbing the fender? well if so, get another one and don't mess with the one that came with it. why get another one when the one you have is there and free? well, when you sell this bike in a year or so, the new owner might want it to be stock and not hacked or modified. keep ALL of your original parts. i.e.: don't sell the stock handlebars to finance the clubmans.

basically, do whatever the [email protected]#% you want to do with the bike. just don't ask stupid questions here without searching and reading the FAQ sections. also thanks for filling out your bio.....it is minimal, but passable.....yeah, i check these things.

tex

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Hi baninja -

You can check out my build thread - I am also building out a CB450, so you can see what I've had to do so far, maybe it will give you ideas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts