Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to put the word out there about the horrible experience I had at CAFE RACER, a local shop in KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI. It was the worst service I've encountered at any bike shop/mechanic (still unresolved), and I wouldn't want anyone else to run into issues here. SO, with that being said, here's my review that i've been trying to post on Google (bare with me, it's lengthy, but if you're looking for a shop around here it's worth reading):

"YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE YOUR BIKE HERE!!! I would like to first say that I am an EXTREMELEY patient person, with an extensive history in the customer service industry. Patience, however, was difficult to hold on to while dealing with Café Racer in Kansas City, MO. It started when I took my 1973 Honda cb 175 with only 2,000 miles on it in for a carb/ignition tune-up, and tube/tire replacement on May 30th of 2012. I understood completely that this was their busy season, so being 3 weeks back-dated on getting to my bike wasn’t an issue. I actually thought that anticipating another week or 2 after the 3 week back-dating period to finish a rather standard/routine job was quite fair. In fact, it wasn’t until apx. 10 WEEKS after I dropped the bike off that upon my questioning was informed that MINIMAL progress had been made, and was apparent the bike was not a priority whatsoever. After speaking w/ Woody on several occasions, I was informed he was having difficulties tuning the bike. Also, he has many other tasks to fulfill such as answering phones and running certain errands, all of which hindered his ability to focus on my bike, or any project in the shop for that matter. When I finally got to speak with owner Greg, he said Woody was out for the rest of the week, and he would instead sit down with Dan and update him on the bike (I’m assuming so he could then take over), and then return my call by the end of business on that particular Thursday. BUT, my call was not returned. In fact, when I called the following Friday, Dan said Greg the owner was now going to be out of town for a few days. No big deal I guess, but when I tried to be civil and inquire with DAN as to where they were with the bike and why it hadn’t been put on the dyno within 10 weeks or if the tubes/tires had even been installed yet, DAN literally FLIPPED OUT, and said if I could do it better/faster, then to go ahead and try. He then proceeded to HANG UP ON ME!!! When I called back and said “Is this how we’re running a business now???” DAN said, and I quote, “This is how I’m running a business!” I told him” PLEASE DO NOT HANG UP, I need to figure out what’s going on with my bike”, but he continued to act juvenile, and HUNG UP ON ME AGAIN! As I called for the 3rd time, Nick answered the phone. He was very calm/professional, and after I explained the story to him, he apologized and said he would check the back story on my bike (because this was not at all his project, he just volunteered to help me because he knew how UNPROFESSIONAL DAN was acting). It was Friday, and there wasn’t much he could do with the time allotted, but he kept in contact with me that day as well as the following week, (apx. Week 11-12) because the owner was still out/not returning my calls/messages. Long story long, Nick kept in touch with me while Dan was “working” on the bike the first part of the week. I did not, however, receive a call by Friday saying it was done, so I called Nick and he informed me that it was finished. I rushed in to test ride it before they closed, and {not} to my surprise, the bike was still bogging down at high RPM’s, and the clutch was still sloppy (I’m assuming Dan wasn’t at all concerned about the quality of work that he was putting into my bike, and was just rushing to get it out of his way). Dan was too “busy” to take it for a spin to verify, and pretty much just shrugged me off saying it was running fine a few days ago, and he’d take a look at it at some point. I wanted to get the bike out of his hands/that shop, so I paid the ridiculous amount close to $600.00 (only apx. $200 of that being parts), informing the new guy Chad (very friendly and helpful) that Greg needs to contact me to discuss the charges of the incomplete job/Dan’s lack of customer service. He said he called Greg and that Greg would be in touch the next day, (Sat.) but of course, was not…even after I called and left another message that morning. SO, that’s where I am with this whole saga (other negative reviews can be seen at yahoo local). I am currently waiting to dispute the charges of a shotty job “done” with the owner Greg. This place has the potential to be a really cool shop, as the café culture has been and will be around for years, but my experience with Café Racer in Kansas City, Missouri has proven otherwise." --Brett Schmidt

As you can see, I was trying to be fair when it came to the guys (Nick and Chad) that felt especially bad about what had happened, and were assisting in resolving it. The owner, Greg, seemed very disturbed at first to hear about what was going on at his shop. However, at this time, he has yet to get back to me after several requests to dispute the charges rendered for a job not completed.

Anyway, there it is. Hope this is of assistance to anyone that it is relevant to!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by schmidty32

It started when I took my 1973 Honda cb 175 with only 2,000 miles on it.....
Well there is your problem right there. A) why do you own an old bike if you have no intention of working on it, b) why did you buy a 30+ year old bike with 2,000 miles on it (ever stop to think there is a reason it has such low mileage? Like it is broken or untuneable).

I am not defending the shop by any means but if you don't think you are being a little naieve then this is your wake up call.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by schmidty32

It started when I took my 1973 Honda cb 175 with only 2,000 miles on it.....
Well there is your problem right there. A) why do you own an old bike if you have no intention of working on it, b) why did you buy a 30+ year old bike with 2,000 miles on it (ever stop to think there is a reason it has such low mileage? Like it is broken or untuneable).

I am not defending the shop by any means but if you don't think you are being a little naieve then this is your wake up call.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
Sucks when you find a bandwagon to jump on but when you get there other people had already shit on the seat.

I personally could give two shits about you or your story. I hate all the pop up "shops" that think of they stay one page in the manual ahead of te other local hipsters they can run a shop.

Who gives a fuck your bike has 2k miles? You think that means something at all?
You took a toy motorcycle to a shop to have the carbs tuned? Really? Ghey. Man up and learn to work on a bike, or just push it around.

What where they going to do? Tune the bike for pods and cut pipes? Huge mikunis you bought pre jetted from dime city? Dyno? Bonus points if they actually Dyno tune the right way at that shop.
The hell with how you think a shop to run, you know nothing of a shop, or you would work on your own stuff. Just because you watched west coast customs doesn't mean all shops suck the customers dick. And shove what ever you think this culture is right up your ass sideways.

Problem is YOU!
If it was not or people like you shops like this would not be opening and actracting more useless people. It's a vicious circle.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
Sucks when you find a bandwagon to jump on but when you get there other people had already shit on the seat.

I personally could give two shits about you or your story. I hate all the pop up "shops" that think of they stay one page in the manual ahead of te other local hipsters they can run a shop.

Who gives a fuck your bike has 2k miles? You think that means something at all?
You took a toy motorcycle to a shop to have the carbs tuned? Really? Ghey. Man up and learn to work on a bike, or just push it around.

What where they going to do? Tune the bike for pods and cut pipes? Huge mikunis you bought pre jetted from dime city? Dyno? Bonus points if they actually Dyno tune the right way at that shop.
The hell with how you think a shop to run, you know nothing of a shop, or you would work on your own stuff. Just because you watched west coast customs doesn't mean all shops suck the customers dick. And shove what ever you think this culture is right up your ass sideways.

Problem is YOU!
If it was not or people like you shops like this would not be opening and actracting more useless people. It's a vicious circle.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
blue star. ask for ross. hes a member here. and a kick ass mechanic. on old bikes too.

oh...woody used to post here....and hes a personal friend. little short guy, tattoos? im pretty sure its the same woody, i cant imagine there are 2 of them in mo. working at competing bike shops. woody is a good mechanic for sure. maybe not the person who should be working on an older bike. (bot ure about that. i know hes worked on old cars a ton, and was into drift cars and stuff for a while) hes great at modern stuff.

and i have actually heard pretty good things about cafe racer. greg is supposed to know his stuff when it comes to the dyno and racebikes.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
blue star. ask for ross. hes a member here. and a kick ass mechanic. on old bikes too.

oh...woody used to post here....and hes a personal friend. little short guy, tattoos? im pretty sure its the same woody, i cant imagine there are 2 of them in mo. working at competing bike shops. woody is a good mechanic for sure. maybe not the person who should be working on an older bike. (bot ure about that. i know hes worked on old cars a ton, and was into drift cars and stuff for a while) hes great at modern stuff.

and i have actually heard pretty good things about cafe racer. greg is supposed to know his stuff when it comes to the dyno and racebikes.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I nearly crapped myself laughing when I saw the OP was trying to get a cb175 dyno tuned. Sadly i crapped myself for other reasons......but the hilarity of trying to dyno tune a cb175 def brought me to the edge.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I nearly crapped myself laughing when I saw the OP was trying to get a cb175 dyno tuned. Sadly i crapped myself for other reasons......but the hilarity of trying to dyno tune a cb175 def brought me to the edge.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
Why? Other then just to have a repeat of why you hate small bikes? Im talking a real reason not to, that actually pertains to getting the bike tuned right.

IF they have a dyno that can work with smaller bikes its great. They can then install jets and tune the bike. The dyno would let them know what is going one and cut down on the bullshit "feels right when I rode it around the block" story

Dyno is not going to do anything useful if you show up with a "barn find" with emgo pods and cut pipes. no shit it bogs.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
Why? Other then just to have a repeat of why you hate small bikes? Im talking a real reason not to, that actually pertains to getting the bike tuned right.

IF they have a dyno that can work with smaller bikes its great. They can then install jets and tune the bike. The dyno would let them know what is going one and cut down on the bullshit "feels right when I rode it around the block" story

Dyno is not going to do anything useful if you show up with a "barn find" with emgo pods and cut pipes. no shit it bogs.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
it's a cb175:

a) it is a waste of money,

b) it probably doesn't have enough hp to spin the roller properly,

c) it is a waste of money (did I mention that already?),

d) when you dyno tune a bike it isn't for driveability, it is for all out performance across the band in those specific circumstances (temp, altitude, barometric pressure) - so what are you going to gain? a 1/4 hp? cuz it won't actually run better in part throttle situations or on days where the weather isn't the same as the dyno room. Searching for that last bit of tuning on a tiny street bike like that is like looking for peanuts in a turd.

e) it is a waste of money,

f) I can't think of any more reasons but I am back to laughing again at some dick trying to dyno tune a cb175. There is literally no point on a small street bike. what's the dyno gonna net you .325 hp at 6200rpm? $100 for .325hp - that's value!!!!!!!.......not.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
it's a cb175:

a) it is a waste of money,

b) it probably doesn't have enough hp to spin the roller properly,

c) it is a waste of money (did I mention that already?),

d) when you dyno tune a bike it isn't for driveability, it is for all out performance across the band in those specific circumstances (temp, altitude, barometric pressure) - so what are you going to gain? a 1/4 hp? cuz it won't actually run better in part throttle situations or on days where the weather isn't the same as the dyno room. Searching for that last bit of tuning on a tiny street bike like that is like looking for peanuts in a turd.

e) it is a waste of money,

f) I can't think of any more reasons but I am back to laughing again at some dick trying to dyno tune a cb175. There is literally no point on a small street bike. what's the dyno gonna net you .325 hp at 6200rpm? $100 for .325hp - that's value!!!!!!!.......not.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
While I feel for you, your story is not that rare. Finding a shop with old school mechanics is pretty rare these days. I've heard some real scary stores with new bikes brought to local honda/yamaha/kawie/harley shops. Most of the old school shops are mom/pop run and they are a dying out. While there is no excuse for being treated badly with excessive charges - I can assure you this kind of stuff is not unusual.

I recently took a mounted new tire for balancing to a local HD shop - when I got the bill I asked the clerk why there was a "shop-charge" on the bill - his response that charge was an auto charge for shop supplies like grease, rags and such. When I pointed out that it was a balance job and they had charged me for the wheel weights he responded by that's an auto charge. So I guess I had to pay for the soap the mechanic used to wash his hands...

Here's what it comes down to: Getting any kind of work done today (especially on vintage bikes) is going to cost and your going to be at the mercy of their time schedule. There will not be any guaranty of the quality of the work. I've seen some bikes come out of the shop running worst than when they went in. Moral of the story - learn to work on your own and you will not have this problem again.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
While I feel for you, your story is not that rare. Finding a shop with old school mechanics is pretty rare these days. I've heard some real scary stores with new bikes brought to local honda/yamaha/kawie/harley shops. Most of the old school shops are mom/pop run and they are a dying out. While there is no excuse for being treated badly with excessive charges - I can assure you this kind of stuff is not unusual.

I recently took a mounted new tire for balancing to a local HD shop - when I got the bill I asked the clerk why there was a "shop-charge" on the bill - his response that charge was an auto charge for shop supplies like grease, rags and such. When I pointed out that it was a balance job and they had charged me for the wheel weights he responded by that's an auto charge. So I guess I had to pay for the soap the mechanic used to wash his hands...

Here's what it comes down to: Getting any kind of work done today (especially on vintage bikes) is going to cost and your going to be at the mercy of their time schedule. There will not be any guaranty of the quality of the work. I've seen some bikes come out of the shop running worst than when they went in. Moral of the story - learn to work on your own and you will not have this problem again.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
You never dispute a bill after you have paid it based on price.
By paying it you agreed to the price. If you want to claim they did not do the work thats one thing, but to bitch at the price is dumb after the fact

$400 in labor? so whats that? 4-8 hours work?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts