Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
You never dispute a bill after you have paid it based on price.
By paying it you agreed to the price. If you want to claim they did not do the work thats one thing, but to bitch at the price is dumb after the fact

$400 in labor? so whats that? 4-8 hours work?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with posting about a bad experience with a shop. That's a public service, as far as I'm concerned. Kero says the OP is whining, and that may be so. But so long as the OP is telling the truth about how he got mercilessly jerked around by the shop, he's done a public service by telling us about it.

The OP's main problem is that he left the bike in the shop for 10 weeks before he started pushing to get the work done. Ten weeks! Never give a mechanic (or any other service provider) that kind of slack. Be a smart consumer: bring the bike in, get a solid estimate of costs, and a firm delivery date. If the shop will not do that, take the bike somewhere else.

The OP's other mistake was to pay the bill without ascertaining that the work had been done. The mechanic "didn't have time" to demo the finished work? Bullshit. I would have said, "OK, you don't have time? I'm taking the bike now, and I'll pay for the work when you have more time."

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with posting about a bad experience with a shop. That's a public service, as far as I'm concerned. Kero says the OP is whining, and that may be so. But so long as the OP is telling the truth about how he got mercilessly jerked around by the shop, he's done a public service by telling us about it.

The OP's main problem is that he left the bike in the shop for 10 weeks before he started pushing to get the work done. Ten weeks! Never give a mechanic (or any other service provider) that kind of slack. Be a smart consumer: bring the bike in, get a solid estimate of costs, and a firm delivery date. If the shop will not do that, take the bike somewhere else.

The OP's other mistake was to pay the bill without ascertaining that the work had been done. The mechanic "didn't have time" to demo the finished work? Bullshit. I would have said, "OK, you don't have time? I'm taking the bike now, and I'll pay for the work when you have more time."

·
Registered
681 Posts
Er, I've dynotuned 3.4hp CRF70s, a CB175 would have no problem spinning the drum. If you've got the tool no reason not to use it, I can get a carb sorted from scratch MUCH quicker with a drum and sniffer when available.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Er, I've dynotuned 3.4hp CRF70s, a CB175 would have no problem spinning the drum. If you've got the tool no reason not to use it, I can get a carb sorted from scratch MUCH quicker with a drum and sniffer when available.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Kurlon

If you have a race bike it kinda makes sense because race bike conditions tend to be a little more consistent and fortune favors incremental advantages, but a cb175 street bike? be serious. And to then pay money for someone else to do it? HA!. My local dynos charge $100 per hour dyno time, if you owned the tool I could see someone doing it in a why not sort of way, but if you are trying to diagnose a bad running problem and paying someone to do it that is probably the most expensive way to fix what should take any competent mechanic about 2 hours (assuming the worst case scenario).

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Kurlon

If you have a race bike it kinda makes sense because race bike conditions tend to be a little more consistent and fortune favors incremental advantages, but a cb175 street bike? be serious. And to then pay money for someone else to do it? HA!. My local dynos charge $100 per hour dyno time, if you owned the tool I could see someone doing it in a why not sort of way, but if you are trying to diagnose a bad running problem and paying someone to do it that is probably the most expensive way to fix what should take any competent mechanic about 2 hours (assuming the worst case scenario).

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jaguar

Sucks when you find a bandwagon to jump on but when you get there other people had already shit on the seat.
Pretty much sums it up.

This guy could have done tires and tubes, carbs and ignition tune TWICE in that time knowing nothing and reading out of a manual and online.

Bottomline is this guy wants to cool and have a vintage/cafe bike but doesn't know shit about having a vintage/cafe bike. Sure, it sucks he got taken; I hope its inspiration for him to get a manual and start learning his bike.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jaguar

Sucks when you find a bandwagon to jump on but when you get there other people had already shit on the seat.
Pretty much sums it up.

This guy could have done tires and tubes, carbs and ignition tune TWICE in that time knowing nothing and reading out of a manual and online.

Bottomline is this guy wants to cool and have a vintage/cafe bike but doesn't know shit about having a vintage/cafe bike. Sure, it sucks he got taken; I hope its inspiration for him to get a manual and start learning his bike.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Nothing wrong with using a dyno. We have done dozens of runs with our CB160 based racers. First time we moved it from 11 to 19hp. We would have spent years of track days getting to the same point if ever.

I understand your logic, and it could be an expensive approach, but one run with a sniffer will at least pinpoint rich or lean and unburned fuel levels which would have been useful. As for taking an old bike to a shop to get it running, well that I agree goes against the grain.

The OP is right though that IF they charged him 600 bucks and it still runs like crap they are piss poor mechanics and even worse business people. We only have one side of a rather strange story and that makes it rather difficult to draw too many conclusions.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Nothing wrong with using a dyno. We have done dozens of runs with our CB160 based racers. First time we moved it from 11 to 19hp. We would have spent years of track days getting to the same point if ever.

I understand your logic, and it could be an expensive approach, but one run with a sniffer will at least pinpoint rich or lean and unburned fuel levels which would have been useful. As for taking an old bike to a shop to get it running, well that I agree goes against the grain.

The OP is right though that IF they charged him 600 bucks and it still runs like crap they are piss poor mechanics and even worse business people. We only have one side of a rather strange story and that makes it rather difficult to draw too many conclusions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
New to the whole online forum world, so my apologies for offending a few of you. But just for the record, I've been around/riding all types of bikes for about 17 years now. I HAVE worked on my own shit (vintage and new), and am probably more mechanically inclined than most on here would think (mechanical,mig/tig/metal fab,electrical etc.). That being said, I should be able to drop a bike off at a shop without being given shit by some of the readers. Have none of you Haters ever taken one of your cars to a shop? My summer was pre-occupied with fabricating/building kustoms and rat rods (rather than talking shit on forums), so I thought it more convenient to have the shop tuneup the girlfriends honda while I work on other projects. In fact,every project I own on 4 wheels (and most of my bikes) is built/fabricated/maintained/repaired by myself and my brother. That being said, I shouldn't have to justify anything to complete strangers.

The "General" link on the forum states "bikes, beer or whatever the hell else you want", so I thought my review might not only be useful for anyone who has not grown up a gearhead and is researching shops, but also appropriate for this location on the site.I didn't realize I'd get so many responses about shit that wasn't relevant to my post.
In addition, I have "taken over" the tuning of this terd, and it is already running much better. The shop didn't even replace the original fouled/contaminated plugs,or if they did, didn't charge me, and left fouled plugs in the bike(as if I have to tell you guys that it's impossible to tune a bike if the plugs aren't providing the proper amount of spark).

I appreciate the positive feedback a few of you gave in regards to the unacceptable shop etiquette and also actual "bike" chat. I also agree with many of you who thought the dyno was not a complete waste of time...why not use the "tools" if you've got them??? The shop thought the same way, as they apparently dyno most bikes that have carb/valve work done. (and yes, the bike DOES have factory exaust, although if it didn't, you could still get a better read with a dyno even w/ straight pipes and homemade baffles.)

-350r enduro
-kz400
-kz400
-cb175
-gs1000
-1200evo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
New to the whole online forum world, so my apologies for offending a few of you. But just for the record, I've been around/riding all types of bikes for about 17 years now. I HAVE worked on my own shit (vintage and new), and am probably more mechanically inclined than most on here would think (mechanical,mig/tig/metal fab,electrical etc.). That being said, I should be able to drop a bike off at a shop without being given shit by some of the readers. Have none of you Haters ever taken one of your cars to a shop? My summer was pre-occupied with fabricating/building kustoms and rat rods (rather than talking shit on forums), so I thought it more convenient to have the shop tuneup the girlfriends honda while I work on other projects. In fact,every project I own on 4 wheels (and most of my bikes) is built/fabricated/maintained/repaired by myself and my brother. That being said, I shouldn't have to justify anything to complete strangers.

The "General" link on the forum states "bikes, beer or whatever the hell else you want", so I thought my review might not only be useful for anyone who has not grown up a gearhead and is researching shops, but also appropriate for this location on the site.I didn't realize I'd get so many responses about shit that wasn't relevant to my post.
In addition, I have "taken over" the tuning of this terd, and it is already running much better. The shop didn't even replace the original fouled/contaminated plugs,or if they did, didn't charge me, and left fouled plugs in the bike(as if I have to tell you guys that it's impossible to tune a bike if the plugs aren't providing the proper amount of spark).

I appreciate the positive feedback a few of you gave in regards to the unacceptable shop etiquette and also actual "bike" chat. I also agree with many of you who thought the dyno was not a complete waste of time...why not use the "tools" if you've got them??? The shop thought the same way, as they apparently dyno most bikes that have carb/valve work done. (and yes, the bike DOES have factory exaust, although if it didn't, you could still get a better read with a dyno even w/ straight pipes and homemade baffles.)

-350r enduro
-kz400
-kz400
-cb175
-gs1000
-1200evo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for the input joe--Yeah, I was working with woody but he was having trouble w/ the bike at high rpm's, and also just really busy in general. Greg said Dan knew a lot about these older cb's, as he had previous honda shop experience, but who knows--not the best employee in my opinion. But yeah, I've heard good and bad things about the shop. I probably won't take anything else back in because of obvious reasons, and also because if I have the time I'd rather do it myself, but if I encounter anyone taking there bikes there I'll refer them to Ross as you suggested. thanks again man--
quote:Originally posted by joe c

blue star. ask for ross. hes a member here. and a kick ass mechanic. on old bikes too.

oh...woody used to post here....and hes a personal friend. little short guy, tattoos? im pretty sure its the same woody, i cant imagine there are 2 of them in mo. working at competing bike shops. woody is a good mechanic for sure. maybe not the person who should be working on an older bike. (bot ure about that. i know hes worked on old cars a ton, and was into drift cars and stuff for a while) hes great at modern stuff.

and i have actually heard pretty good things about cafe racer. greg is supposed to know his stuff when it comes to the dyno and racebikes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks for the input joe--Yeah, I was working with woody but he was having trouble w/ the bike at high rpm's, and also just really busy in general. Greg said Dan knew a lot about these older cb's, as he had previous honda shop experience, but who knows--not the best employee in my opinion. But yeah, I've heard good and bad things about the shop. I probably won't take anything else back in because of obvious reasons, and also because if I have the time I'd rather do it myself, but if I encounter anyone taking there bikes there I'll refer them to Ross as you suggested. thanks again man--
quote:Originally posted by joe c

blue star. ask for ross. hes a member here. and a kick ass mechanic. on old bikes too.

oh...woody used to post here....and hes a personal friend. little short guy, tattoos? im pretty sure its the same woody, i cant imagine there are 2 of them in mo. working at competing bike shops. woody is a good mechanic for sure. maybe not the person who should be working on an older bike. (bot ure about that. i know hes worked on old cars a ton, and was into drift cars and stuff for a while) hes great at modern stuff.

and i have actually heard pretty good things about cafe racer. greg is supposed to know his stuff when it comes to the dyno and racebikes.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Originally posted by Geeto67

quote:If you have a race bike it kinda makes sense because race bike conditions tend to be a little more consistent and fortune favors incremental advantages, but a cb175 street bike? be serious. And to then pay money for someone else to do it? HA!. My local dynos charge $100 per hour dyno time, if you owned the tool I could see someone doing it in a why not sort of way, but if you are trying to diagnose a bad running problem and paying someone to do it that is probably the most expensive way to fix what should take any competent mechanic about 2 hours (assuming the worst case scenario).
That's mostly some ignorant bullshit right there, you should go read a book or something.

quote:Originally posted by schmidty32

I HAVE worked on my own shit (vintage and new), and am probably more mechanically inclined than most on here would think (mechanical,mig/tig/metal fab,electrical etc.).
Pics; cars, bikes, whatever. I can't read your posts, too many words.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Originally posted by Geeto67

quote:If you have a race bike it kinda makes sense because race bike conditions tend to be a little more consistent and fortune favors incremental advantages, but a cb175 street bike? be serious. And to then pay money for someone else to do it? HA!. My local dynos charge $100 per hour dyno time, if you owned the tool I could see someone doing it in a why not sort of way, but if you are trying to diagnose a bad running problem and paying someone to do it that is probably the most expensive way to fix what should take any competent mechanic about 2 hours (assuming the worst case scenario).
That's mostly some ignorant bullshit right there, you should go read a book or something.

quote:Originally posted by schmidty32

I HAVE worked on my own shit (vintage and new), and am probably more mechanically inclined than most on here would think (mechanical,mig/tig/metal fab,electrical etc.).
Pics; cars, bikes, whatever. I can't read your posts, too many words.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Schmidty,
New to the online forums, you say? Here's a tip; everything you wrote in your 2nd post should have been said in your 1st. Ya see that way the folks on here know who they're dealing with. By what youve said you obviously have been around cars alot and therefore have come across "noobs". Here, on this forum, almost once a week a new guy comes along wanting to be part of this current fad of "cafe racers". Yes, the name of the site if caferacer.com, but this site was started before, or at least in the very early days, the fad took hold. The people here are bike people, not "cafe racer" people. Those of them who are "cafe racers" are actually CAFE RACERS, meaning they RACE vintage bikes, not put a set of clubmans on an old honda, paint it flat black and hang in starbucks parking lots, if you get me drift.
So we're not haters, we actually like people who do the type work you do. Yes, we as a group can be brutal at times, but it's usually in good fun, and almost always educational.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts