Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'm curious to know what Bombardier model was released in 1974. Bike, Ski, Sled, or other?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I'm curious to know what Bombardier model was released in 1974. Bike, Ski, Sled, or other?
Can-Am Motorcycles was a division of Bombardier. Bombardier started making Can-Am bikes in the 1970's, using Rotax engines, which was another division of Bombardier.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I believe the Can-Am model released in '74 was the 175 TN'T, the MX versions, the 250 and 125 versions not too far behind. I was doing some (very) amateur roadracing in that era and a couple of guys started racing Can-Am 125's. They were surprisingly quick around a road circuit - geared right, they could hang with TA125's and MT125's up to around 90 mph, and were markedly quicker coming out of slower corners.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the Can-Am model released in '74 was the 175 TN'T, the MX versions, the 250 and 125 versions not too far behind. I was doing some (very) amateur roadracing in that era and a couple of guys started racing Can-Am 125's. They were surprisingly quick around a road circuit - geared right, they could hang with TA125's and MT125's up to around 90 mph, and were markedly quicker coming out of slower corners.
This appeared in the May '76 issue of Cycle.

175cccanamroadracermay1.jpg

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
The 175 and 250 were produced early in the 70's. The 1974 AMA National Motocross Championship was won on a 250. The 125 didn't appear until 1980. The 1973 International 6 Day Trials were won by them where they took Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Ah yes. I had forgotten the Can-Am was owned by Bombardier. I didn't think that they were referred to as Bombardier, though....not any more than referring to a Mercury as a Ford, at any rate.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I owned a 250 Can-am MX'er and it was very fast with lots of low end grunt. It made a pretty nice woods bike. I had a friend that purchased a new Suzuki Mx250 and I could spank him hard on any straight-a-way.

I'd like to add - I was feeling pretty good about my 250 until I when up against a 84 CR500 honda... Needless to say the honda not only kicked my butt but shot dirt all over me while doing it.

I long ago sold the 250 and now I own a CR500...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
......I long ago sold the 250 and now I own a CR500...
So, what I am hearing you say is that you really don't value your life, that much. ;)

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Ah yes. I had forgotten the Can-Am was owned by Bombardier. I didn't think that they were referred to as Bombardier, though....not any more than referring to a Mercury as a Ford, at any rate.
I'm sure the Bombardier headline on the cover was a gimmick to get you to read the article about the Bombardier owned bikes.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah, but in 1973, who south of Minnesota would've even known what Bombardier was....or, for that matter, wouldn't think that they were talking about some guy lying flat in the belly of a B29 peering through a sighting glass?

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
8-ball - you are correct...they are a handful...lol
Witworth - You would be lucky if you knew how to start one..
If you don't stall them, you only have to start them once. I don't stall them. I start them once. Just following orders.

CR500s are much like V-Maxes. If you know how to really ride, too much power is just the right amount. If you don't like wheelspin and massive torque, bikes like that are not a good choice for the timid.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Just as info, I worked for Bombardier for several years in their transportation division (Passenger rail services). But it wasn't until I started working for them in 1999, that I learned how prolific they have grwon to be and how many industries they are into. Everyone knows about the Sea-doo, Ski-doo, Rotax and ATV stuff, but what about their Rail Equipment (light rail, high speed trains, people movers, passenger cars and locomotives), Rail maintenance contracts, Lear Jet, Canadair, Amphibious aircraft, firefighting aircraft, De Havilland.They build buses. They own Flexjet (corporate jet time share). They own half of the Chunnel, They are the largest rail equipment manufacturer in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Inc.
Bombardier Aerospace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bombardier Transportation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have always said, "Canada has no need for a military. Bombardier is Canada's means of taking over the world!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts