Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My uni project put me onto this forum and I think im going to stick around as I've just wasted half a day looking at stuff instead of working...

Anyway, the reason I was here was to ask if you could help me with my final year project by filling in a survery about accessories and luggage on cafe racers. My task is to design a luggage carrying 'thing' that blends and doesn't spoil the cafe racer look.

My own bike is a Triumph Thruxton so that will be the mule but I need the thoughts of people who actually design, build and ride a whole range of cafe racers, AKA you fine people. Its only 17 easy questions, takes about 5-6 mins. It is totally anonymous too :)

If you have any questions please ask, I will be around :D

http://www.surveyexpression.com/Survey.aspx?id=6e28265f-a8ec-4a98-b158-4d49fa3020e3

Thanks, Rob.

(My Bike)

·
Registered
658 Posts
You need to adjust your form a little. Perhaps rewording question 12 a little will help.

12. What made you choose the type of luggage system have you have fitted? *
I haven’t fitted any (because it’s a fucking cafeRACER and the purpose of the bike is to remove anything that doesn’t make it go faster, stop or handle better. If I want to take a makeup kit with me I’d get a goldwing.)

Yeah, that would improve it. Your survey is annoying

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Tex cracks me up sometimes :D
Cafe racers ain't for touring, they for playing racer
Gave up on survey, you shouldn't try to force the answers you want, I spent some time studying psychology as well :(

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
tank bags are nice. not these super mondo 3 story tank bags I see on adv beemers but something to hold a pair of gloves, the reggie, and a phone isn't a terrible thing to have.

Now that most tanks are plastic it would be super awesome if you could design something that doesn't need the giant leather bra with magnets sewn in to hold a tiny bag.

I have a pair of textile waterproof throw over saddlebags. Work great. no need for anything else. you want to make them look better that's your perogative but honestly if you are taking anything with you that doesn't fit in a back pack then you are on the wrong bike.

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
I have a pile of stuff that vaguely resembles a CBX in my garage right now, I would like bags on that.
I had Tripple A chrome luggage rakes on the back of my 125 and 450. Used a bungee web/net thing on the back and they were super helpful for beer/Chinese runs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A Harro Elefantenboy on the tank and a kitbag behind the
rider is the only appropriate luggage on a cafe racer.

Best regards
Sven

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
For years my only bike was a "cafe racer" though we never called them that and I often had to carry something - usually tools or spare parts to replace bits that fell off, but I digress. Small tank bags work to transform the bike into a GT - ie long distance at speed with minimal luggage type bike.

A small rear rack also works as long as the bag attached to it is small and preferably sits on the passenger seat.

Some of the Questions don't quite work for me - like #6 for example don't allow me to put NEVER against all bar one or two lines, so the results are not indicative of my riding habits.

I'd suggest that for everyone that has a C/R that isn't a Triumph or Guzzi, there are no factory (OEM) options. The did you customize your bike questions also only address a small percentage of C/R riders because most don't own new bikes sold by an OEM as a C/R. Most are riding old bikes they hacked about themselves. That raises the question of who is the target market?. Buyers of new bikes called Cafe Racers by the manufacturers, or riders of old bikes that might need to carry stuff and might like a small rack to take their backpack?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I had the same issue - bags on my cafe racer... I resolved the issue by having a Kangaroo ride on the back with me. I found the kanga-pouch was more than adequate for carrying things and as a side feature found the tail made an excellent turn indicator. The only issue I had was the damn thing wanted to kick the crap out of people at every bar stop.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Fuck all you douchebags... Perhaps Judey needs to (yet again) post a(nother) photo of Baby Sister sporting appropriate "cafe-racer" luggage.

If it can't carry a 12, 2 bottles of wine, 2 loaves...

... and a pie...

... it ain't cafe-racer luggage. :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
old empty ammo bag or small medic's bag,strapped around and below the headlamp, works well for lighter small stuff on the SR...... a clam shell hatch in the rear seat housing be neat and disguised too

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
And how, Iron Man, do you propose to transport an entire pie with that kind of setup?
It simply can't be done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have taken note of the pie requirement. Maybe somesort of pie warming/phone charging device also?

Anyway, I know people say that they are race bikes etc. but mine certainly isn't and I would like to carry some stuff about without spoiling the last bit of style that it has left. Pie may be pushing it.

Thanks for your answers, they are good although I doubt I will be fitting a hand gun rack [8D]

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Doesn't the 'Pie' ride behind behind you and hold on? If you need a trunk for her you're doing it wrong.... ;)

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
quote:Originally posted by manleyr
Anyway, I know people say that they are race bikes etc. but mine certainly isn't
you are doing it wrong.

quote:Originally posted by manleyr
and I would like to carry some stuff about without spoiling the last bit of style that it has left. Pie may be pushing it.
a) What is it YOU want to carry?
b) What style are you worried about ruining? Those early Thruxtons are just a collection of hipster cafe kid cliches that are already tired. Anything you do to cover up that checkerboard center stripe is an improvement in style.
c) what do you want the luggage to do?

to me usefull luggage should be:
- waterproof (or at least resistant). If you are going to use your bike like a car, you shouldn't be stopped by rain.
- solidly mountd
- sturdy enough to hold the bike up off the ground if I take a spill.
- removeable without leaving ugly brackets behind.

if you were expecting one of us to tell you it needs to be brown hand tooled connely leather with worn brass buckles - well that shit already exists and how much of it do you see on a motorcycle?

Build tools, not fashion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts