Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a french on on line any other magazines that are cafe racer street cafe style bike mags I havent seen any .I think the new issue of Sport rider or Sport racer I forget which it has a long artical on a Italian cafe racer of the 70s artical looked good but to much sport bike stuff .Are there mags I havent seen yet .On cafe racers or styled bikes

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
whether they want to admit it or not, most of the bikes in classic bike are subtle cafe racers. But then again its an english mag. Reading it and you will think bar end mirrors came standard on every bike sold in britan. They do feature old school cafe racers sometimes too, like they had a great aritcle on dresda tritons a few months back. Their dossier is also awsome for buying an old bike, tells you all you need to know at a glance.

Another british magazine is classic bike mechanix which usually has a lot of cafes and streetfighers. A little hard to find in the US.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I scourer every mag rack from Industrial design to guitar magazines .I have seen the classic Bike mag last time I bought it it a a Laverda feature and some old yamaha stuff I did buy it.Looks like America hasnt caught on yet Maybe thats a Good Thing George

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Truth be told there isn't the market for these types of bikes like there are for choppers. There should be, considereing there are some people out there willing to spend the money for quality machines but it just doesn't get the exposure here because it did not really originate in america.

So while I was pondering it, it dawned on me....whats wrong with turning this site into a web 'zine and if it gets popular enough a real print magazine (ok stop me when I get to the ambitious part). Seriously, there are enough people here with real skills, nice bikes, and connections that we could come up with two features, two tech articles, maybe a project bike, every month. Plus we have enough smart mouths here we could all take turns writing editorial columns. Start to sell advertising space to real companies in the industry when it gets popular and maybe we'll have something.

so who's with me?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geeto67 I restored an austin healey for a guy that was part owner of pcweekly magazine I was going to speak with him about a print mag or web mag ...like anything it just takes time and energy .be easy to create a site if thats all we had to do all day I like your idea Geeto67 but Im most certain a fresh web site would be the way to go and link to here the mother ship.Frankly It would be great if some one did it .Then I wouldnt have to.

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 02 2005 06:55:34 AM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speaking of the market its a love hate thing>When they are not in the forefront of the general publics mind you can go around and pic up vintage bikes cheap and plentyfull,but to resell it there isnt a lot of money to be made.The the general public get the idea they have to have on guys with thick wallets buy them all up and sell even basket cases for more then double of that old bike you used to be able to get for almost free.And you cannt find them anymore cheap and you can get a good price for them when you sell them! So enjoy what you can and find what you want before they are all gone ..you would think with the large numbers made it will be a while but not so. In good climates they are used alot so the mechanics are tired like engines and gear boxes..In bad climates like the north east rust is the problem the mechanics ussually are low miledge but sitting around alot rusted frames, wheels, and engine siezing from being idiol is the culprit.so the available old bikes get smaller in numbers very quickly its happened time and time again in vintage world of any sort be it boats ,planes,cars and bikes are no exception.the 70s remember these bikes are 30 years old even 80s bikes are aging .So dont wait to long and remember the bigger the engine the more expensive they will be and the more they will be worth if your hanging on to them if they were popular and made in small numbers they will always be the most desirable.You all ready know the names of a few bikes that are "Unubtainium"

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 02 2005 08:52:07 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The problem with these types of bikes is that This is america, and to the non-enthuasist motorcycle buying public if it ain't a harley it ain't worth the time. The Discovery channel hasn't helped much (although it has done wonders for motorcycling as a whole) because now the general populance that become interested in motorcycling only want choppers and the chopper lifestyle.

Those who are in the know, know that the cafe racers have their own lifestyle too, equally as rowdy an image. The fued between the mods and the rockers in england is the stuff legends are made of. Plus it was heavly influenced by american rockabilly culture. You see this kind of lifestyle emulated in some of the american rockabilly circles, but it is definatly not mainstream. I don;t think it will ever become mainstream because it is just not american, and a lot of ignorant people will discount it heavily just for that fact. Yet a person dressed in the same rockabilly garb riding a chopper is a-ok with them. I swear you'd think the majority of the american public is deaf dumb and blind.

Finally, cafe racers are not in the lime light because, well you just don't see them around, at all. Here in NY we probably have more cafe racers than many other large cities, some with absolutley beautiful work doen to them, but there is no connecting community or subculture. NYC used to be the brit bike cultre capital of America, thanks in no small part to Steve McQueen, but now you are lucky if you see a trumpet or norton on the street. If we want to get into the lime light, we need to build the bikes, build a local community, and get out there and get people interested. But nobody ever seems to have the time.

Bull, one of the things I have wanted to do is start a cafe racer zine in the US. However seeing as how I am the new NY Rep for the vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club, I kinda have my hands full trying to grow that community. However, I will try to promote equal representation for modified bikes within the club, something that a lot of people out there have said has been a problem with the VJMC and that there is too much focus on restored bikes. Personally I own restored, cafe racers, and even a few honda choppers so I am into it all.

Now if someone were to start a monthly cafe rag (online or in print)...I'll gladly donate a tech or feature article once a month.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vonn blonde has tryied to start an online mag so some others are trying it takes alot of data entry.

You may see a mag on the rack called Olde Skool Rods they always have bobbers and rockers and some cafe bikes thrown in always rockabilly is in the mix too.

Id like a middle road where these bikes are known and desired but not to the over saturated degree Harley customs are now .Do I want to play a OCC guitar( a cheap guitar with flame decals and occ on the head stock) NO WAy but there out there,or OCC hat or bandana.May be I need a Billy Lane watch or a Monster garage tool box all crap you can have it! Im sure the real Harley guys are hiding under rocks till this craze blows over!

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 02 2005 09:05:40 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I know ol'skool rodz quite well actually. I'm a car guy as well and a closet rockabilly / old skool punk rock fan. My white collar job kinda frowns upon having all the usuall accoutrements of that culture like the pompadour, sideburns, and the tats, but I do have the albums. I was building a rat buick and putting together tech articles that I was goign to try and get published, but I lost interest in the project and I am kinda getting out of cars for a while, All my cars need bodywork and I am a lousy bodyman. Anyway, if you look at some of the pics in old skool rodz every so often you'll see a cafe racer in the background. Most of those guys are into bikes also, mostly the brit stuff since that is what was popular in the 50's and 60's and a lot of the bobber style bikes since that is what is though of as american (in truth bobbers were both here and abroad and are the origin of cafe racers, choppers, replica racers, and streetfighters).

What is von blonde's site. maybe she could use some help and I could use the publicity.

As far as cafe racer's go, we'll never get recognized if the bikes don't get out there. That is why I am such a big proponent of street riding, because it means that non motorcycle people see you and possibly get interested in the hobby. This kind of bike did have a little noteriety when jessie james built that cafe racer honda vtx but , that died out quickly because there was no followup.

Edited by - geeto67 on Nov 02 2005 12:06:43 PM

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
you guys are on the right track with getting more exposure. I've played with the idea of an online magazine type site. what I'd really like to do is add that type of contect here but as you said...who has the time? when we started the site five years ago aaron was doing weekly or monthly write ups on cool bikes of the period but we never kept up with it and as the site changed it disappeared. I think you're right, the members of the board have enough know-how to crank out some great howtos and tech articles. it's just a matter of doing it. let me think about it some more. I may have more free time over the winter too.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Geeto67 www.vonblonde.com they are street caferiders they are trying to expose use as caferiders and owner more street stuff and this site is race both are the places for me lol Im here enough.

Geeto67 I agree if your not on the streets people dont know they are at the tracks .Its the same thing with sports cars .I have restored 27 austin healeys from the 100s to last of 3000 series and every thing inbetween at my shop.But some owners took it from their garage to a austin healey meet and back into the garage ..it doesnt help perpetuate the sport because you just showing it to another healey owner and he is just adding up how many dollars you have into your car .

Its not like some kid will see it and get excited and want to someday own one, he never sees them! the Idea of any of this stuff, is it has to be seen so people know they want one .Thats a good thing .

But be warned one block buster movie that features the star riding a cafe racer and its on...things wont be the same.

JD time to enter data is a job you know it and just trying to keep things fresh up on my tiny site takes me alot of time.Its alot of work and its a team effort required to keep it with content with updates and storys and how tos plus you need the server space to hold it all if you start loading pictures .

I dont know what the answer is I always have in the back of my mind some live cam at the shop that gets linked to the web and people can watch work being done(members have access for a small yearly fee) lol then there needs to be close ups and pan outs and enough to keep a college class of cinimatographers busy (that was my source of talent college film students so many ideas not enough time to put it all together .

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 03 2005 05:44:15 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I love those healy 3000s, gorgeous looking car. I got my first ride in one at a vinyard in southern italy. I was staring at it hard and the owner just told me "get it" I was probably 19 at the time, the owner was a german on "holiday". Ironically enough there was another group of Germans at the vinyard and they were all on new Harley Davidsons. Anyway If you know anything about italian roads you know every inch of those tires got tested. It was probably the most fin I have ever had in the passenger seat of a car that didn't involve a nekkid girl or the police.

Got the new carcraft and there is a pic of a pseudo cafe cb450 in one of the cc quickies. Apparently editor frieburger is a fan.

one of the reasons I became a fan is when I was growing up my father had two dunstall nortons, an 810 and a domi-racer that he brought back with him from switzerland in the 70s. He had them until the 1980s when I was growing up, they were sweet looking bikes. He sold them for a pittance to buy an 1986 kawasaki ninja 1000r.

Anyway, willing to do some tech stuff and features if anyone wants.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
geeto67 Im serious you should just write a book or two the info tech stuff you just seem to rattle off at will.should be in a book I think you have three books of info in you.My sister with no money published her first book alone/she had no money at all.Lol To bad it was on Soil Science .But I have her hard cover copy for proof she did succeed Im proud of her i could do it on vintage sports cars but lol who has the time ..but she did it working two and sometimes three jobs .No money and she did it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts