1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok folks, mini-rant time.

See the Guzzi Cafe racer. Details are here:

Now take a close look at the winglets.

Adding winglets to a vintage style fairing is a style excercise so some will like it some won't. I get that. I'll go on the record as saying I hate them in this case. But not only because of the styling. Why do they irk me so???

Winglets are being used these days to create downforce. The angle of attack here is correct in that they would cause downforce, but the camber of the airfoil itself, the shape of it, is wrong.

They are mounted upside down.

Those airfoils would create lift if they weren't pointed down so far. The more the front end lifts and/or the rear end squats, the closer they are to becoming wings to lift the front end.

I know, I know, they would have to be moving about 300mph in a huge stonkin wheelie to have any real effect, but still.

They added camber to the shape, and then put them on upside down. If you're going to add fashion winglets to a bike for cripe sakes at least get the shape right. You could get the same amount of downforce with less drag if you flipped them over and leveled them out a bit.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Mirrors contoured into the fairing would be functional and might even be made to improve the aerodynamics, and you're right those wing things added some ugly to an otherwise nice looking ride, but what's the thing near the bottom of the front brake disc?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
suzuki had them on there gp bikes. dont remember if they where used in gp or a F1/open class. hartog on the white plated bike would be other then 500gp. then there was that thing on the back of the tz750
Wheel Tire Helmet Sports gear Motorcycle helmet

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
131 Posts
lol

remember the 1978 CBX? it had a wing molded in behind the seat. when asked, shoichiro iramajiri confessed that yes, it was modelled on the wing from the porsche turbo carerra, and no it didnt do anything. but then, he said, the wing on the porsche didnt do anything either . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts