Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi all new on here in looking to build a cafe racer somthing like triumph but not sure wat bike to start with any advice would b great plz
I have a 650 bonnie, waste of time, it would'nt get to Cardiff let alone the Ace. This summer I started on my Daytona 955i . Better m/c altogether and nearly caffed, main problem is the electrics, bit fiddly but with some research can be sorted. If doing it on a budget the more sportier looking bike the less sawing and welding to do. Any way good luck just do it one part at a time that way you have a fairly complete bike that looks something, not a pile of bits on the shed floor that dishartens you. I live in Crofty if your passing drop in, Gabow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi 7070, I bought the Daytona 2006, but several winters have taken their toll so I decided to caff it. I use my 1050 speed 3 for work now. If that goes wonkey I use the 600cbr rr. Good luck on your prog. just remember it all takes time don't cut corners u got to ride it.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I have a 650 bonnie, waste of time, it would'nt get to Cardiff let alone the Ace. This summer I started on my Daytona 955i . Better m/c altogether and nearly caffed, main problem is the electrics, bit fiddly but with some research can be sorted. If doing it on a budget the more sportier looking bike the less sawing and welding to do. Any way good luck just do it one part at a time that way you have a fairly complete bike that looks something, not a pile of bits on the shed floor that dishartens you. I live in Crofty if your passing drop in, Gabow.
You need to put it together properly.
Friend of mine raced a 650 Bonnie, and rode it all over the place.
It ran great until he tried to fit a Weslake 8 valve head (don't think it ever got put back together)
Much better computer programmer than mechanic ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the Weslake head had more studs than the standard Bonnie head. They were crap too, to much for the bottom end. Just bought a Triumph ST 955i, that's 4 trumpets now... need bigger shed.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Doesn't really matter if it's 8, 9 or 10 stud, you only drill and tap a hole in the top of block
Bottom end usually fails because of too many RPM's, crank flexes too much and takes out timing side bearing then you lose oil pressure

21 - 29 of 29 Posts