Cafe Racer Forum banner

cafe racer

6K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  crazypj 
#1 ·
hi all new on here in looking to build a cafe racer somthing like triumph but not sure wat bike to start with any advice would b great plz

#2 ·
should be in the general section. any 2 stroke will work--- kaw triple, yam rd, suz gt/t. triumph would be good (depends what your plans are) suz gs series. don't do a cx or cm Honda. I know people in Swansea and for a few pounds they'll kick you in the nuts

#3 ·
start by reading the forums here look thru the gallery, do a google image search ...
look for bikes manufactured mostly in the 60's and 70's ,as they are easyest to mod to a proper cafe style...
find those you like and can afford to own and ride..
post pictures and possible links back here and you will then receive some solid opinion as to what you can expect to accomplish with them...

expect harsh treatment if you pick something dumbass :):):):p:rolleyes:

#5 ·
Why not try a BSA? it is something like a Triumph, in fact in some cases it was exactly like a Triumph. I would do a BSA A-65 with an A-10 crankshaft and 441 Victor pistons. I think that makes it about an 850. It is also then a very fragile engine, but also very cafe-ish and period correct. MAny people take umbrage to the OIF A65 ( it is a Triumph frame) because it makes the bike sit taller and it looks different. I think the A65 was a very good handling bike so I would just rebuild the forks using good oil, new bushings and good springs. On the rear, make sure the swing arm bushings are in very good nick and then replace the rear shocks with some decent quality ones, such as Hagon or Progressive Suspension. If you can find a conical DLS front hub with the cast in air scoop, that is the way I would go. Many people don't like the way they work, but they are very cafe. Then I would look for some cafe type glass fibre body work like a Dunstall or Read - Titan seat to complete the picture. I think the tank that came on the OIF BSA A65 was one of the nicest production tanks to ever come out of the BSA factory although the one for the shooting star is nice, too. I don't like any of the production seats from BSA because they are not cafe enough for me. Oh yeah, I would fit alloy rims, alloy fenders and Avon tyres cause they are all very cafe, too. BSA footpegs are adjustable so if you put them in their rearmost position and fit clubman bars you will be all set to head out to the Ace CAfe and be all cafe with everybody there.

Ken

#8 ·
70's BSA is better than 60's Triumph. There aren't any pushrod tubes to leak and BSA has way better looking tank badges. Get an A65.

#11 ·
Don't blame me!!! I gave it everything I had with extraneous britbike BS(A).

#10 · (Edited)
Pick something relatively small and light to start with so it handles well and will be quick and fun to ride. Some bikes are not necessarily good as a basis for a cafe bike, an XS1100 or KZ1300 comes to mind. Customs maybe, but not cafe.
Britbikes have torque and classic good looks going for them, 2-smokes have light weight and simplicity, as well as an easy GP bike look.
Go with what you are comfortable working on.
Mark

Last pics down on the page is one thing you can do to make a cool Triumph, oil in the frame and everything.

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/project-builds/7186-ultimate-cafe-racer-photo-thread-15.html

#15 ·
Isn't there a Swansea in Canada, too? I guess the one in Wales is older and probably has more 70's BSAs than a Canadian one. Do the Welsh drink as many beers as the Canadians, eh?

I would think some beers and a BSA A-65 in a shed should end up with a pretty nice cafe by the end of winter.

#23 ·
I have a 650 bonnie, waste of time, it would'nt get to Cardiff let alone the Ace. This summer I started on my Daytona 955i . Better m/c altogether and nearly caffed, main problem is the electrics, bit fiddly but with some research can be sorted. If doing it on a budget the more sportier looking bike the less sawing and welding to do. Any way good luck just do it one part at a time that way you have a fairly complete bike that looks something, not a pile of bits on the shed floor that dishartens you. I live in Crofty if your passing drop in, Gabow.

#27 ·
You need to put it together properly.
Friend of mine raced a 650 Bonnie, and rode it all over the place.
It ran great until he tried to fit a Weslake 8 valve head (don't think it ever got put back together)
Much better computer programmer than mechanic ;)

#29 ·
Doesn't really matter if it's 8, 9 or 10 stud, you only drill and tap a hole in the top of block
Bottom end usually fails because of too many RPM's, crank flexes too much and takes out timing side bearing then you lose oil pressure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.