Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me crazy, but I want to build a lightweight cafe bike with a 500cc or so two-stroke single-cylinder motor. I know it'll vibrate like hell, and make objectionable noises, but I want something skinny, light, and unusual.

I am considering using an enduro something or other as a starting point. Maico 500 Enduro? Yamaha SC500? Kawasaki Bighorn? KTM 495?

I would like to discuss this with anyone who has tried something like this,.. either here or in e-mail.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
saw something not that long ago about taking kawi 450 dirt bikes and making GP bikes out of them.
should be able to do the same with a 2 stroke. would make a sick powerband

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Many years ago Dr. Gordon Blair of Queens University in Belfast, Northern Ireland designed a 500cc two stroke racer. It produced 60bhp and was a very fast racer. A 500cc two stroke single would make a wicked street bike. Most of the bikes you mention make plenty of power and don't weigh nuts. Good luck if you decide to try and please keep us posted.

Speak to me and I'm your friend. Race with me and I'm your brother.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've got a Husqvarna 400 4 speed Cross sitting in the garage...I keep thinking..'what if' ?

dvh

I love the smell of castor oil in the morning, but I have a Honda....

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
back when I was working for vespasoho, I took a lot of measurements of the Derbi GPR 50 chassis with the intention of sticking a KX 250 mill in there. From what I remember (I am at work and don't have my notes on it in front of me) it would be pretty straight forward with the only issues being the motormounts, where to mount the radiator, pipe routing, and the rear wheel sprocket spacing. Other than that - plenty of room to fit that fucker in there. The best part would be since the derbi's are street legal with moped registration you would have an awsome street bike 1980s style two stroke motoGP replica.

I suppose you could get one of those yamaha 450s in there as well but I never measured. IF you could stuff an aircooled 2 smoke single in there it save on some of the fab work.

Edited by - geeto67 on Feb 08 2008 09:22:47 AM

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Lotsa street legal KX/CR500s on supermotojunkie. Think I'd use the dirtbike chassis and change the controls, bodywork, and suspension to suit you. Seems easier and more better to me.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Did you really just say "More better"?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Yeah, more better is ahead of better but not quite as good as really more better.

Speak to me and I'm your friend. Race with me and I'm your brother.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a 1970 Suzuki T350, which is a 2-stroke.

You can see more pics and some videos of it at www.mightymichaelis.com/t350

I think that the best motor would be a Yamaha banshee 500 (a 4 wheeler). It is a super popular motor with tons of hop-up and performance parts. They are common, relatively cheap and good motors. I am not sure what frame I'd put one in, but that could make a very exciting little bike.

-fang

'70 Suzuki T350
Download The Fang.mp3 HERE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts