Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2001 Vulcan 500 in a multiple trade deal. Don't ask.

What is the possibility of turning this thing into a caferacer?

If I removed the rear fender, rear subframe, and tank, could there be some tidy seat/tank combo built to fit over what is left to make it function properly (and look good)?

Replacing the cowhorn bars would be simple enough. Just fit clip-ons of some sort.

Can the fatso rear tire/wheel be removed and something skinnier and larger diameter be laced to the existing hub? I wonder how much room the swingarm has for a larger diameter tire.

I'd have to fit rearsets, of course.

Attached are two pics: 1. The original bike 2. A crudely modified pic just to get a feel for the image.

thanks for any ideas.

Bob

·
Registered
71 Posts
Maybe change the rake on the bike. Notch out the stem and weld it back together. Lose some of the covers in the middle of the bike to simplify the look of the bike.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Sell it, and use the money to buy a proper bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
aAnything can be made Cafe if you have enough money.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i would sell it and buy a proper bike, like jude suggests. however, there is a happy netherlander on here that made a yamaha virago into a VERY SWEET cafe bike...but it took a lot of work! i think that bike is way to raked out to handle good like a cafe racer too...so you are looking at modifying the frame like lost said. congrats on getting a bike though!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Putting longer rear shocks on it will really help by steepening the rake, plus giving more ground clearance. I think the Vulcan uses essentially the same engine as the EX so you shouldn't have any trouble getting an exhaust on it. EX wheels might even fit on there and they are readily available. I say, don't listen to all these nay sayers and have a shot at it. What's the worst that can happen? After all, you are starting with a Vulcan.

Ken

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
seems like you're limited to just an aesthetic cafe racer but they can be made to look good, be pretty nuts if you made an actual track style racer out of it.
i have been looking at the cruisers on the sales floor at my work. one of the best looking candidates for an old school aesthetic cafe IMO is the vstar 250. chain driven twin, narrow, simple.

·
Registered
699 Posts
with the longer shocks you can steepen the head angle, but your offset and trail will still be "bad". why not just trade that in for an EX....

·
Registered
783 Posts
That's funny.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Hey DSM, Bob has three posts and this thread is from 2008. Safe to say that Bob doesn't hang here anymore. He probably is hanging on the Vulcan Owners Forum now. Please fill out your bio. Name and Location. And welcome to our board.

Tex

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah I figured I would here nothing back, but I had to try cause I have not seen any en500 cafe'd bikes anywhere.

Here's a pic of my Vulcan 500

·
Registered
576 Posts
That's really not bad DSM. Color me impressed for what you started with. Rearsets, clip-ons, a front fender. Well done!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
don't even know were to start......

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the problem is - you haven't corrected any of the ill handling of the bike as a crusier. The 16" rear tire is still there, the tail dragging stance is still there. Plus I am concerned that the rear fender tail bump thingy won't clear the tire under full compression. If it were me I would get a really decent set of rear shocks and jack that rear end up about an inch at least. maybe more.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Thats no more a "cafe" then some one that put a fart can and some gsxr stickers on his Nissan has a race car

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know it's not a true cafe, it was cafe inspired. I would say it's stance sets it at more of a cafe/bobber hybrid. Besides, it is 10 times more fun to ride.

To answer other questions:
The swing arm has a 100mm travel distance which clears the fender.
I am right above the speedo, so I will need to relocate it.
I also plan on getting a different tank.
I'll try to remember to post some new pics when I finish.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts