Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After last night's victory, my Detroit Tigers have clinched their division, with a dozen or so games left in the regular season! Hoorah!

... and today I'm noticing only one other team has clinched a play-off spot - The Phillies!

So, are you in the mood for a small wager, say a six-pack, to who's team goes further?

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
sure. i'll take that bet! them fightin' phils have the best record in the league, best pitching, and a decent set of hitters. after tonight's game against the cards....they will also have their division too! name your beer.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best record in baseball, for sure. But best pitching? Justin "I've already thrown 2 no-hitters at the tender age of 27" Verlander is arguably the best pitcher playing the game today - a certain hall of famer already, backed up by a solid starting rotation (Porcello, Fister...), and closer Jose Valverde never fails to get the job done, providing entertainment galore, disproportionate to the amount of time he spends on the mound, to boot. I'm not even gonna mention outfielder/utility player Don Kelly, who recently acquitted himself more than respectably, when called upon to remedy a bullpen shortage - even our non-pitchers are good pitchers!.

Had the Tigers been playing as well as they have this past month, all season long, we wouldn't need a World Series.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
roy halladay, 2 cy young awards, 2 no hitters which 1 was a perfect game.
cliff lee, 1 cy young award.
cole hamels, world series MVP and also a world champion.
roy oswalt, olympic gold medalist and yes....as a utility player, played outfield last year against his old team (astros) after howard got ejected.

yeah, i KNOW we have the best pitching in baseball right now....we might have the best starting four lineup EVER!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha! No... 2 Cy Youngs is nice, but JV is simply the best pitcher in baseball right now. He may not have a Cy Young yet, but he's a for-sure hall-of-famer, even if his career ended tomorrow. Royals manager said it himself last week, "Tigers have the best pitching in MLB." BTW, Valverde just pitched his 49th consecutive save tonight.

Yeah, Detroit's at the bottom of the AL... what's new? It's Detroit! We're used to being counted out long before we're dead.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
Good Luck against the Yankees.....you're gonna need it!

Hello St Louis, meet Doc Halladay, our 2 time Cy Young winning starting pitcher for Game 1.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
Quoting the manager from KC.......Couldn't you get a better sound bite?

Next you'll be quoting the Third Base Coach from the Houston Astros...."Well I think Verlander is gonna be a Hall of Famer some day."

·
Registered
373 Posts
Def yesterday one of the more exciting days of baseball in a very long time. Gotta say I'm pulling for the Cards. Even though an ex Razorback hurls for the Phillies.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:"... is gonna be a Hall of Famer some day."

Read this a little too quickly as, "... a HELL of a FARMER... "

To be honest, I expected much more trouble from NY than Detroit has had so far.
Fell asleep during the game Sat, But Sunday's game was a nail-biter fer sure.
Who really worries me is Philadelphia. Although... best team in baseball, tied in the series?
Tigers have a (good) chance to wrap it up tonight (don't want them to go back to NYC)... fingers crossed.

Actually, a Detroit-Philadelphia World Series would be kinda cool.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
Phils 2-1 in our series too. Hopefully Oswalt can wrap it up for us tomorrow too. St Louis ain't no joke. Tonight was a little bit of a nail-biter.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
Ok, it's 5am in holland and my heart is broken going to bed now. G, if you gloat....I'll nuke this thread and pay you in skunked PBR.

GO TIGERS!

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
Ok, it's 5am in holland and my heart is broken going to bed now. G, if you gloat....I'll nuke this thread and pay you in skunked PBR.

GO TIGERS!

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
I'll only be happy when Ruben Amaro steals Pujols from you for Ryan Howard. Man I miss Jason Werth in the line up. Had to watch the game from Holland on my iPad on ESPN.com play by play.....it was torture. Good pitching by both squads last night. Too bad the Phils offense never showed up.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
I'll only be happy when Ruben Amaro steals Pujols from you for Ryan Howard. Man I miss Jason Werth in the line up. Had to watch the game from Holland on my iPad on ESPN.com play by play.....it was torture. Good pitching by both squads last night. Too bad the Phils offense never showed up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts