Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
There should probably be a master link with a clip in the cam chain - it'll look just like any other master link, but smaller. Turn the motor over 'til you find it. Remove the clip (trying not to drop it down the cam chain tunnel). It usually takes a sharp edged pair of pliers to back the clip out. Remove the sideplate (don't drop it), then remove the link (don't drop it either). It's best to use a couple of pieces of safety wire on each end of the chain to keep from losing it in the bowels of the motor unless you're going for complete disassembly. With that the head will come off.

To get the cam out you'll need to remove both cam bearings on the left and right side. The right side is easy to see the fixing bolts, left side is behind the points plate. You'll need to remove the advance mechanism and points plate to get to them. Once you've got both cam bearings out you cam pull the rocker pins and remove the rockers. At that point the cam should come out - right side first.

Michael

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I'd be really surprised if there's a master link on the cam chain, my old 450 had a riveted link. In such a case you'll need a chain breaking tool to remove it. The good news is you'll be able to use the chain breaker to put the new cam chain with the riveted link together!

FR

·
Registered
241 Posts
When I glanced at that I thought it was a 175/200 -

With no master link follow Rosko's manual. The rest will be the same.

Michael

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i sent you pretty good directions. did you get them?

jc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts