Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started to dismantle my spare '70 cb350 engine last night. got the head off, stopped for the night. my question is this, the cam lobes should be bright shiny metal all the way around with no discoloration correct? there is some visible flaking on one lobe so have already determined that it wont be going back in. but other spots are dull and gray but still smooth. so are cams plated or just polished after machining? Is this the result of lack of oil, im guessing? like i say just began last night, and have not been able to inspect oil passages super close but the odo showed 4000 miles on the bike. mistreatment by previous owner? probably.....

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
how about some pix?

for sure you obviously have a problem on at least one lobe which is flaking but......

the base circle area of a cam can be quite normal if not shiny like the actual lifting part of the lobes

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
how about some pix?

for sure you obviously have a problem on at least one lobe which is flaking but......

the base circle area of a cam can be quite normal if not shiny like the actual lifting part of the lobes

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know if I would trust the odometer after seeing a cam that is starting to flake. Discoloration sounds like it is starting to wear through the hardened surface into the softer steel. Or maybe the previous owner ran her low on oil a few times. Send it in to megacycle with the rockers and they'll do there magic. They can make it just like a new stocker or all the way up to a full race cam.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know if I would trust the odometer after seeing a cam that is starting to flake. Discoloration sounds like it is starting to wear through the hardened surface into the softer steel. Or maybe the previous owner ran her low on oil a few times. Send it in to megacycle with the rockers and they'll do there magic. They can make it just like a new stocker or all the way up to a full race cam.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
low on oil is definately a possibility. the engine is stuck, that is why im taking it apart now. just a guess but im gonna say that the oil, centrifugal flinger, and passages contain large doses of cam chain tensioner rubber. they are both chewed up pretty hard. pics would probably be in order.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
low on oil is definately a possibility. the engine is stuck, that is why im taking it apart now. just a guess but im gonna say that the oil, centrifugal flinger, and passages contain large doses of cam chain tensioner rubber. they are both chewed up pretty hard. pics would probably be in order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts