Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or are they all the same?

just curious if any are extremely mild having less duration than others

thought maybe the CL's may have a real soft cam.....?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
HackA, The CB and Cl cams are the same except for the K0 cam. I have not gotten a complete answer as to the particular differences between them. I have a K0 cam in my race bike. It has higher lift than the later cam, but it also has a larger base circle, too. I have heard that you have to use K0 racker arms with a K0 cam, although I don't know if the eary rockers have a different ratio than the later ones. I don't know what rockers I used when I built my engine since I hadn't heard that part. But, my engine seems to run well. I may tear it down and look before the June Road America race weekend, since it leaking a little oil at the rocker box anyway.

Ken

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Hack
In descending order of lift and duration CB, CL, SL. I think somewhere I have actual numbers if you really need me to look. Early cams are fat in the middle and early rockers have a "1" cast on them. Late cams are pretty uniform in the middle and late rockers have a "312" on them. If you mix late cam with early rockers you won't have any clearance and the valves won't fully close. If you mix an early cam with late rockers the valves won't fully open.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, yes I would really like to have that specific info and all so far is very helpful. I have a couple very small turbos and superchargers, and was thinking about building myself a CB350 engine, and then maybe a bike for it to go into. From what you guys are telling me, it may be possible to build a reasonably efficient force fed CB and not have to custom grind a camshaft, and maybe monkey about with rockers and cams to come up with suitable timing.

any thoughts on power take off points from the CB engine? I'm thinking right off the crank pulley.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I got a pile of CB350 stuff from UNGA about 100 years ago and among the gems was a 350 motor mounted to a square frame as a portable saw mill. The chain to the blade ran off the trans counter shaft sprocket. The exhaust pipes were only about 6" of the headers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts