Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planing to sell my H-D sportster to get some money to start a new Cafe Racer project,but I think that I could turn the sportster into a Cafe Racer,I've seen some cool Cafe sportster on the NET, Is it more expencive, dificult... to make it with a Sporster than with other Brands and models?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ya know....just about anything can be converted all it takes is some imagination and effort.

Get rid of the cheesy front forks, convert to something (more) modern even some nice USD units from a sportbike.
Nab yourself some longer, more performance oriented rear shock and a steering damper.
Strip off everything that isn't essential to stop, turn and go.
Rear sets and clip-ons, perhaps a more visually suitable tank swap, a nice flat or bumstop seat.

Shit yeah man...go to it! You've already got the bike...why not? Be unique....

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I park next to a 08 sportster ever day at work and I always picture what it would look like with half the shit ripped off.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Of course you can caffe a Sportster .

Benjie from BCR is even doing a Caffed Sportster .

As for costs you'll pay but what's good is that parts for Sporties are plentiful and the limits are as deep as your wallet . IMO you'd pay as much to caffe out an HD as you might a Brit or Euro bike .

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Sell your bike and get a Buell and go from there. The earlier ones with a tube frame look pretty nice.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
yeah and you can even shoe horn one in a featherbed

guess I have a few of them

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts

as built by the great lance weil, raced and won in england in the 60's too!

texy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do Not use a harley frame they look funny as a cafe.

Use some thing else for a frame.

Norton Featherbed Frame. This one was featured in Classic Bike Guide magazine Sept06. Awesome bike. I have the issue.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
do you like the rear treatment and what do you think of the foot peg location? (yes I know most fbed specials put them there but have you ever ridden one like that or imagined it?) like the rear wheel? (pretty sure it's atlas or commando.... either I'd consider to be a third world hub at best)

quote:Originally posted by Imlost

Do Not use a harley frame they look funny as a cafe.

Use some thing else for a frame.

Norton Featherbed Frame. This one was featured in Classic Bike Guide magazine Sept06. Awesome bike. I have the issue.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
heck I don't care if it's the pope's

da butt looks very thrown together and the foot pegs need to be back at least 4" or put some mini apes on it

·
Registered
123 Posts
dude, it's more than just the ass. i think the whole bike is ugly...its a neat idea...just ugly. maybe i should have said it this way: "other than that, they make some neat shit"

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
It works for me (other than the Milwaukee lump - that's debatable) until the back end of the frame.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
IMHO a Sportster could make an awesome cafe racer. "Better" than a lot of the bikes I see here... A Sportster engine in a featherbed frame is on my list of projects to do "someday". I looked for a donor for a while this summer but ended up buying a Ducati 900ss instead... for the money I think they're the best Duc out there right now, but I digress..

Look back at the history of sportsters and I think it becomes obvious that yeah, there's potential there. From the XL sight listed earlier:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts