Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
race ig with points and battery for a cb350. do we need the stator assembly?? or can we run the coil off the battery? im guessing not?? and that the battery needs to run through the stator to build a charge to the coil. lemme know. i cant remember its been so long.

jc

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Joe, You don't need the charging system. If you run the po from the battery to the black to the coils, the ignition will work.

Ken

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Joe, depending on the resistance of the coil....you might want to run a ballast resister in the positive lead to the coil. Sometimes if you don't it will overheat the coil. I think if the coil is like 5ohms or more you don't have to worry about. Remember to turn it off if the engine's not running....if the engine stops with the points closed it will overheat the coil, drain the battery....as per usual for a total loss ignition.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep, i actually do remember all of those things. were running old stock coilsd, the cook off on such a regular basis anyway. if we noticing it happneing, we'll do that. great advice thanks! from when i wired the first race bike, i couldnt remember what i needed exactly. i just wanted to make sure it went battery, to switch, to coils, to points. with nothin else. i must have kept the flywheel etc for timing on my original bike. duh. and i thought i remembered messing with that wiring harness there too. but then the dyna ran without that stuff off the crank, so i just wanted to make sure. this electrical stuff im not so good at.

on another note, we got an avon race tire from tiresunlimited for bills bike. it was 8 years old.

its going back and were ordering from lyn garland or barker.

jc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts