Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check your shit fuckers.....

So last Tuesday I was busting my hump to get a pair of manifolds cut and got clocked. I was facing a 5"d x 5"l solid hunk of 6061 aluminum in the lathe, a procedure I've done countless times before with no drama. This time though 'something' happened and the work piece ejected from the chuck spinning 6000rpm, pinched between the tool/tool-post and the still turning chuck then hit me in the left cheek just below my eye.

The only thing I can come up with is that perhaps I didn't have the chuck tightened quite enough and may have bumped the main saddle wheel effectively digging the cutter in(normally facing is a spare, skimming cut), allowing the material to be pulled out of seat.

Dad happened to be leaning on the wall bending my ear (that happens a lot) and saw the whole thing.....apparently it was fairly impressive to see my 265lb self lifted off my feet. Said is sounded like two pieces of wet firewood being slammed together. I don't remember much pain and I didn't go out or even fall though as I say, my feet did leave the ground. Lots of blood though....

Got pretty lucky as far as point of impact is concerned too and now am my own evil twin. I walked myself to the bathroom to have a look and decided I should probably go into the ER as I could see my teeth thru my face. The edge hit me pretty square on the point of the cheekbone, sliced thru the flesh of my cheek and gum, smashed into the root of my upper fang....err...k9(?) and essentially shaved a half moon piece of bone off my skull.

That's a little disconcerting as you can probably imagine.

30 stitches total according to the paperwork; 3 for the gum and 6 for the inside of my mouth, another 7 internal and 14 outside. Add in a root canal for giggles along with looking like I tried to gnaw the blades off a running food processor and it's been an interesting week and a half. If it have been 1/2" higher or lower I'd have lost my teeth or my eye, though I was wearing safety glasses they shattered and woulda done no good.

Check your shit, make sure things are setup as they need to be. I should have checked better.

(sorry for the babble, pain killers do wacky things to me)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
That is gross, but glad you are pretty much OK. For some reason, I have been a little shy about getting my face too close to my work on my new lathe. Now I know why. Thanks for the reminder.

Got any Pics?

Ken

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I have a pic in the ER after they stitched me up but thankfully nobody paused for a photo-op in the midst. If you really want to see...I'll post something.
What kinda lathe do you have? Safety glasses, no long sleeve/gloves or other dangly things and take your time if you're new to it and you'll be making a mess in no time!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
pics please! i'm a sick fuck and i know i'm not the only one here!

on the up side, you'll have one kick ass scar!

i get the heebie-jeebies even working close to a little cut-off wheel.

...didn't you also get shot once?

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
swag,

good to hear that you are o.k.! that is the same time of accident that killed my friend and mentor lance weil. unfortunately his piece hit him in the temple....and he never woke up afterwards. he died three days after the incident.

check your shit, yo!

tex

·
Registered
965 Posts
Incredible! I'm so glad to hear you're doing okay. Amazing what a difference 1/2" makes. You're one lucky SOB. Safety glasses are great at keeping hot metal chips from blinding you but they won't stop a 2lb. projectile. I generally wear a full face shield as I wear prescription eyeglasses but I'm not sure I would have fared much better given the same circumstances. Get well soon!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Damn Swagger, sorry to hear 'bout it, but thanks for the "public service message".

Safety first!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Might want to consider facing those pieces on a milling machine :)

My lathe is kind of small so it doesn't present as much danger ...but I have caught my sleeve in the chuck once (bad machinist form) and only once left the chuck key in.

My Bridgeport has thrown a couple of things at me, but luckily missed, and it's got the power to do some harm. But mills usually don't throw pieces nearly as hard as lathe.

I have some personal experience with dramatic injuries from machines. Typically it's a lesson you never have to learn twice cause you are reminded every day just by looking at part of your body.

I'm sure you don't need any advice ...but I always try to stand off to the side of rotating things, like big pieces in a lathe, chainsaw bars etc. Doesn't ensure your safety, but does help prevent a direct hit.

I was milling some brake drum cooling holes once and had the mill toss it across the shop when it got loose in the chuck mounted on a rotary table. I was pissed cause I had to replace the customers drum.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had the lathe chuck shit at me before but not like this.....usually there's some warning. I have a giant Kurt Anglock on the mill ( Tree 2uvrc) and some beefy table clamps.....haven't launched anything off IT yet.

Pic to come when I'm not on this phone.....

Yes, I was shot in the chest by a kid.

·
Registered
968 Posts
While sorry to hear of your misfortune, Im glad to see you still find the upside to the situation. And can pass along a word to the wise.

If your still around after all that, there is a reason.

Well wishes for a swift and complete recovery.

If your still around after all that, there is a reason.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts