Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..
There may be some info on here and i apologize if I missed it but..
I just was given a Scrambler/ Honda CL 450 and it needs Airboxes and filters...
Was wondering what my options were if anyone had resources:

•Where to find Original airboxes (used or new) and filters..
•Info for sizing for Mikuni (or comparable) aftermarket carbs..
•other suggestions for getting around the airboxes.

It is my understanding that the old OG Honda carbs are quirky with throwing cone filters on.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ebay's probably your best bet, assuming someone on here doesn't have a stock airbox to spare, which would be a surprise. I throw them away, I admit it.

If you want Mikunis that bolt right up, vm32's (round slide) do, but avoiding an airbox is a stupid and expensive reason to run mikunis - and besides which, you'll have to rejet them which is no fun. 450s run fine with pods - I've been running one for years with pods (see pic in profile) without problems. In fact, my experience has been that it generally SOLVES some problems - these carbs are more likely to run rich than lean, and the pods often bring them into a reasonable mixture range. I've never seen pods put a 450 into lean.

If you still want Mikunis, try sportingforless.com. That guy's a bit of a dick, but what can you do? You can get the pods just about anywhere. I'd stick to K&Ns if I were you.

A

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response..
I'm going to go with the pods..ANy idea of the exact size of these?
is it 52mm?

Or the best place to grab a set online?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
One other thought: be sure to get filter oil for those. Running a bike with dry pods is about the same thing as running it with no air filters at all - it'll keep out rocks but little else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts