Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok it's been a while since I have been on here but I am well and truly stumped and need to tap in to the wealth of knowledge that frequents the forum !
Having finally finished my cafe racer build I am having issues with the fuelling on one side of the carbs ...I am getting a backfire through the intake on one side ..the carbs have been balanced , cleaned , rejetted ( for pods ) ..valves have been checked and checked again , timing is spot on , needles both shimmed but one side is persistently running like a pig , the floats are adjusted and all good and there are no air leaks also the coils and CDI have been replaced to no avail , the plugs are also new ...engine has been rebuilt and compression is very good ...once the bike is revved up it's nowhere near as bad but idling and low revs it's a bag of shite ...I'm out of ideas...any suggestions ...and no I'm not scrapping or setting fire to it ( just yet )

Attachments

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
... is there a vacuum port to operate the carburetors on one intake
or is there a vacuum control to each individual carburetor?

If you read through almost any thread on this site you will find that the general consensus is, that vacuum controlled carburetors fitted directly to pod filters works bad enough that you should consider that as a non-functional setup. Your choices are to either replace the carburetors completely with carbs that do Not operate on vacuum to open the slides,
or install fuel injection
or put the original air system back on
or devise a plenum or tubes or airbox that provides a reasonable non turbulent air flow leading into the carburetors.

and here's the simple reason: Your bike was designed to run on as little fuel as possible and those lean operating carburetors did that, thus reducing pollution emissions and noise :| you know air pollution all that stuff that is slowly killing city people. You have aborted the majority but not all of the equipment intended to do that and you are trying to make the other 30% work. You need to go all in and make it a race bike or farm implement or whatever, or preserve more of the original engineering to make the engine work well with those particular carburetors.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
...engine has been rebuilt and compression is very good ...
Compression numbers were same and in spec? or is good compression a relative term.

Twin cylinder engines with one lazy cylinder seem to run pretty good until you try and get them to idle.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Take off the pod filters and see how badly they restrict the air ports in the carb mouth. It is highly likely that one restricts airflow more than the other. Another possibility is a partial blockage of one or more air passages in the carb.

The trick I use is to spray WD40 or carb cleaner through one passage and then repeat on the other carb to compare flows. It's amazing how often one passgeway is partially clogged and that comparison shoudl reveal any huge discrepancies.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
If a carb problem is in question on a multi carburetor motor ;) is pretty easy to troubleshoot,
˙sʍolloɟ ɯǝlqoɹd ǝɥʇ ɟᴉ ǝǝs puɐ punoɹɐ sqɹɐɔ ǝɥʇ ɥɔʇᴉʍs ʇsnɾ

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Compression is identical on both cylinders , jets / needles etc have been designed by Sigma racing to run with pods and straight through pipes . there are no restrictions on the intake at the point the pods clamp on ...the issue is one side only and the carbs are not reversible

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
... the carbs are not reversible
2 different model carbs on 1 bike, well that sucks.

"jets / needles etc have been designed by Sigma racing to run with pods and straight through pipes"
<- to me that is like saying; these guys track race these CV carbs and this is the best they found for mostly wide open throttle racing. Race guys don't spend a lot of time idling or sitting in traffic :/ that's why they are revving the sh*t out of their bikes on the start line some times, they don't want it to stall.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Air intake restriction is not the problem, the problem is you have messed up the vacuum, you are not getting the correct fuel to air mixes when you need them and the fuel is not atomizing effectively into the air flow.
Put it this way: your current air flow is like sticking your head out the window of an airplane and trying to breath :| she don't work so good that way.

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
Backfires through the intake are usually timing. Maybe the static (idle) timing is spot on, but your advance mechanism is sticking and not advancing? could also be that one of your pulse controllers is starting to go bad. After you check the pod filters, that's the next thing I would check.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
What do the spark plugs look like?

Bike has CDI conversion, yes? what kind?
Battery conversion too?

Geeto what powers the spark in these things, battery coil type? or other.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hallsie. Assuming you have a decent spark I'd check to see if the plug's wet.
My guess would be a dodgy float, stuck float valve or blocked pilot jet.
You've been working on the bike for a few years now, when did you last clean the carbs?
Might be a good idea to get them in a ultrasonic cleaner.
If you can get the bike over to Colchester I could take a look at it for you.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
If you have 3 jet carbs, (highly likely) the only thing to do is re-fit airbox. The alternative is get hold of 2 jet carbs from a Canadian model. It's been done to death about the late model Honda 3 jet carbs,(1978~82) they were also fitted to CB750 and CB900 DOHC and are just about impossible to do anything with. Leon Moss, when he did carbs for Honda Britain and USA 'Superstock' blocked the primary main jet then re-worked the internals for the secondary mains. He ran a small bore tube inside float bowl for the pilot system. It was a ton of work. I can tell you whats causing the problems but have no idea how to fix your carbs, they don't respond the same as earlier CV as fitted to CB/CJ 250 / 360, The transition from primary main jet to secondary main jet causes a very rich mixture as slide starts to lift, if it were possible to lower the needle it would help a little as you need to lean out the transition

1 - 12 of 12 Posts