Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a heavily covered issue but I dont have much access to the internet right and was hoping for an answer by tomorrow. It is on a '77 XS650 (my dad's bike). It had an issue and was draining gas out of what looked to be the float bowl so I swapped his carbs out for my old ones ('79 XS650) today and took it for a spin. It seem to work great. I then let him go for a ride but he accidently kicked it into 1st from neutral without the clutch and killed it (he was pretty excited and just didnt realize he didnt have the clutch in haha). When we tried to get it started again it was draining gas through the air filter. What could cause this? I mean it ran parfect for me then killed it then carb is free flowing? I mean this may have been the problem before as when I removed the filters to replace the carbs there was some gas in them as well. Any help would be awesome. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Stuck float or a piece of trash in the float needle.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Stuck float or a piece of trash in the float needle.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could that be caused by killing it? Also opened up the old carbs and the floats weren't stuck at all.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could that be caused by killing it? Also opened up the old carbs and the floats weren't stuck at all.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nope. They will only flood if the float needles don't seat properly. Do you know how to st them up?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nope. They will only flood if the float needles don't seat properly. Do you know how to st them up?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I actually just rebuilt the carbs and replaced the float needles is there anything special about putting them in I need to know?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I actually just rebuilt the carbs and replaced the float needles is there anything special about putting them in I need to know?

·
Registered
888 Posts
the drain tubes could be severely corroded... i think its what theyre called...the protrusions on the bowls that go up into the carb body. that or the float needles.

sometimes the rubber gaskets the needles seat into are shot.

gas is so thin that it seeps out of even the tiniest gap.

·
Registered
888 Posts
the drain tubes could be severely corroded... i think its what theyre called...the protrusions on the bowls that go up into the carb body. that or the float needles.

sometimes the rubber gaskets the needles seat into are shot.

gas is so thin that it seeps out of even the tiniest gap.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you replaced the needles with aftermarket ones that may be part of your problem. The cheap aftermarket needles are pretty much junk.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you replaced the needles with aftermarket ones that may be part of your problem. The cheap aftermarket needles are pretty much junk.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggests got it fixed in time before I had to go back to school.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the suggests got it fixed in time before I had to go back to school.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts