Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Honda.

http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/

What year cb750?

Don't wast your time with the carb kits from K&L and Keyster they are notrious junk and only good for the seals (and the seals are not even that great). YOu can buy all the parts indivdually from honda, a little pricey but worth it.

Take the carbs apart and figure out what you need. The only non-rubber parts that need replacement routinly are the float needles. Occasionally the slide needles need replacement too but really everything else can be cleaned really well and replaced

To check the float needle pull it out and run your finger nail down the face of the point. If you feel a ridge it is time for a new one.

Edited by - geeto67 on Jul 10 2007 11:41:22 AM

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I thought that bike was supposed to be running by the 4th.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Let me know when you're ready to ride. First pint's on me.

What exactly are you trying to fix? I've been real busy lately, but perhaps if you need a helper... I've rebuilt a few carbs. Don't get to the east side often enough (does anyone?).

Edited by - judeyramone on Jul 11 2007 11:09:09 PM

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At least 1 float sticks. That's where I'm at. I got a guy that's going help me this saturday. He's done stuff like this before. I may just take them apart, clean them up, readjust and see what happens.

I'm totally down for a pint. There is a place on mound, a micro brew that usally has brit bikes out front. Not much of a ride but prolly worth the beer.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
At least 1 float sticks. That's where I'm at. I got a guy that's going help me this saturday. He's done stuff like this before. I may just take them apart, clean them up, readjust and see what happens.

I'm totally down for a pint. There is a place on mound, a micro brew that usally has brit bikes out front. Not much of a ride but prolly worth the beer.
Take them apart and take measurements of the float height before you do anything else - this will help you determine whether the it is a needle issue or a float adjustment issue. Then take the needle out and inspect them.

One of the most common reasons for a float to "stick" is because there is a piece of dirt or rust or some varnished gas that is not letting the needle seat properly. The float is not actually sticking, just the needle is blocked.

Floats sticking refers to when the float bowls get so crudded up that the float itself sticks to the bottom or the side of the bowl. This happens too but is 1) really nasty, and 2) less common. 7 times out of 10 the needle is the problem not the float itself.

another thing that happens is the float loses its boyancy. I usually keep a cup of water on the work bench and when ever I take a float out I throw it in the cup. If it sinks it is garbage and I buy a new one. hold them under for a second and sometimes you can spot pinholes.

if you don't feel like cracking the rack apart, get some cans of carb cleaner and some small pipe cleaner brushes and go to town on the thing. Always clean the main and idle jets anytime you open your carbs.

If you do want to take the rack apart and clean them all the way, berryman makes an awsome carb dip that will have the metal looking like new in no time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts