Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents,
I have a Mikuni VM carb, and one of the towers that holds the float has been broken. I guess that's what you could call it, the pin that retains the float goes through these two little aluminum towers.
Anyway, I'd like to glue the tower back together with epoxy. The repair will be below float level, so it'll be immersed in gasoline. The repair won't be under any stress, though. Has anyone had any experience with an epoxy adhesive used in this way, or have any better ideas?
I suppose having it TIG welded would be the best way to repair it, but I'd like to avoid the cost of having that done.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
have you been talking to frank smith?? when e pulled apart one of his carbs last year, it had the same thing goin on. ut the float was fucked. it was all crooked and whacked and wouldnt work right.

jc

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I've never used JBWeld when a repair item is in direct contact to fuel

so I cannot say it will not work

I have used "Devcon" in carbs, fuel tanks, and ports

for sure it works good and lasts a long time

I believe you can still get it

perhaps in a round white tray from your local GM parts department

that particular break of the Mikuni VM can be a tough one

I've scrapped several of them for that reason

I got turned on to Devcon reading about Grumpy Jenkins and other notable NHRA guys

it wouldn't surprise me for there to be something light years better

Devcon has been on the market for a loooooong time

good luck

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
as far as I know jbweld is fuel proof. I think it even says so on the tube. I have used it to repair a leaking triumph petcock and it worked really well.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
cool, good to know if I'm ever in a tight spot

have you ever used any of that insane glue they use to secure golf club heads onto those tiny shafts?

I don't think it is fuel proof but that is some crazy strong stuff

jewelers use it instead of jewelry glue

for pearls and things like that

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
jb will probabley work if you shape it to help support/brace the stick. marine-tex (no relation to our esteemed texy) is excellent as well for these kinds of mickey-mouse repairs.
-parks

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
do you know who supplies Marine-Tex?

I'd like to have some, that stuff is great to sealing porous castings.

GM paid me several times to seal SBC and BBC castings that seeped from time to time

and that is what they supplied

I guess I could check with a GM parts place

1 - 9 of 9 Posts