Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '79 XS650. I just switched from the stock CV carbs to 34mm Mikuni carbs. When I start the bike now, my idle is ridiculously high, between 5k and 6k. I have adjusted the idle adjustment screw but that doesnt seem to really help. Right now I have the screw all the way on both carbs. If anyone can give any advice or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated as I am kind of stumped. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Make sure the cable adjuster on top of the carb is adjusted correctly first...it might be holding the slides up...or maybe the cable itself is to short...i have seen this more than once..if you look in the FRONT of the carb..(you have to pop them off the bike)..does it look like the slide is way off its seating area?Usually,at idle.its just barely off the seat..if its to high,and the adjuster screw on the side of the carb is all the way out,its usually the cable holding the slide up..check the cable adjusters..

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
that has happened to me, something is stuck open, it could even be just one of them. i had a cable stuck out of its socket which put just enough pull on the slide to run it up. there is an idle AIR screw, and an idle SPEED screw take the carb off back the SPEED screw out until the slides are fully close and turn them in just until it moves. try to do it all even on both carbs. then what i do is put the carbs back on, try to start it, if it doesn't run turn both SPEED screws in a quarter turn, then try again. eventually (if no cables are bound up) it will start idling low, then keep turning them in equally until its at the recommended rpm.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed the problem it was a combination of the speed screws being out of wack and one carb was unseated making a huge air leak during a slight backfire. Haha retarded me but everything is running great now. btw any one know the recommended idle speed for a XS650?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts