Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
curious why you wouldn't just use the carbon fiber faux vinyl wraps and then just clear coat over the top. Don't get me wrong, the end product looks very good, but I'd be leery of adding extra weight in the form of 2 layers of epoxy just for a look.

if you have the skills to work with epoxy, why not just remake the whole tank in carbon?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s one thing to do an overlay and another to make the mould and build a tank , it would have to be vacuum bagged to attain the same look . Not that heavy thought about a hydro transfer but dealing with the water in the tank and possible rust was a pain in the ass , looked at Vinyl wrap they fade and lift off over time about a 7ish yr life span if you take care of it .
if I get a scratch on the overlay it’s an easy fix
Stu

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
I hydrodipped my sportster's bodywork. water in the tank was literally no big deal - I used plumbers rubber plugs and even when one fell out in the tank I dried it right away and it never rusted.

For the actual carbon look - you can't beat the real thing though - and short of making a tank an overlay is a good as it gets. The reason I mention vinyl is I saw one recently that was actual carbon weave and not just a printed pattern. not super cheap but not expensive either. It came as a matte, but when you clear over it, it popped just like real carbon.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
On a drag bike, I connected the side covers to the tank I had narrowed with aluminum duct tape, waxed it up and overlaid the whole thing with carbon fiber. When it cured, I was able to slip it off to act as a cosmetic body piece. It is really light. I suspect that the paint weighs more than the carbon.....

You could do the same with a tank and overlay the bottom as well, and mate the two halves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts