Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to preface this by saying that this bike was running GREAT on Wednesday. It stayed outside thursday night in the somewhat cold and ran back to my house poorly.

I pulled the carbs today after making sure the bike had spark on the left cylinder and found that the left slide was seized in place. After doing a little e reshearch and calling a friend I doused it in PB blaster and tapped on the slide with a hammer and a piece of soft wood (pine).

Throughout the day I have been dousing the exposed sides of the slide with PB blaster and waiting. I've noticed no change.

In my head there would be a way to create a sort of scissor jack to push the slide out from inside the carbs. Am I crazy? Are there things I should try? Someone said boil the carburators . . . could the heat of boiling water break the seize? This isn't a bike that has been sitting for years (I mean it was . . . but it ran great on wednesday)

Thoughts?
Criticism?
Advice?

Thanks in Advance.

Ben

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Pull carb. Take off top. Don't rip diaphragm. Remove slide and diaphragm. Figure out why sticking.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Pull carb. Take off top. Don't rip diaphragm. Remove slide and diaphragm. Figure out why sticking.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
The CV carbs use butterfly to control airflow, you have carb top off and diaphragm is OK?
The slides are anodised, very unusual for them to stick.
Most likely you didn't clean them properly and they are gummed up, if the carb body wasn't bashed and bent, it's the only thing I've seen where slides stick overnight, particularly if bike had been standing for a while with gas in carbs previously.
The nice even layer of gum gets loosened up and 'sets'
The other thing it could possibly be, there was some water between slide and carb body, it froze and bent something?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
The CV carbs use butterfly to control airflow, you have carb top off and diaphragm is OK?
The slides are anodised, very unusual for them to stick.
Most likely you didn't clean them properly and they are gummed up, if the carb body wasn't bashed and bent, it's the only thing I've seen where slides stick overnight, particularly if bike had been standing for a while with gas in carbs previously.
The nice even layer of gum gets loosened up and 'sets'
The other thing it could possibly be, there was some water between slide and carb body, it froze and bent something?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day two - sprayed it down a few dozen times and let it soak. The slide won't unstick. Going to try boiling to see if the heat will loose everything.

Diaphragm is fine (just replaced them) and i pulled it off because I wanted to see what was going on down there. I'm checking the weather and it doesn't look like it froze wednesday or thursday night. Since then the bike has been in the garage and shouldn't have frozen either.

if boiling doesn't work - is this the direction I'm going to need to move in?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-75-Honda-CB360T-CB-360-Carb-Carburetor-Body-/140531261957?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20b850e205#ht_2011wt_1114

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Day two - sprayed it down a few dozen times and let it soak. The slide won't unstick. Going to try boiling to see if the heat will loose everything.

Diaphragm is fine (just replaced them) and i pulled it off because I wanted to see what was going on down there. I'm checking the weather and it doesn't look like it froze wednesday or thursday night. Since then the bike has been in the garage and shouldn't have frozen either.

if boiling doesn't work - is this the direction I'm going to need to move in?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-75-Honda-CB360T-CB-360-Carb-Carburetor-Body-/140531261957?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20b850e205#ht_2011wt_1114

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
So, the top is open, and you can't pull the slide out?

Be clear here, please. We aren't there, so can't see what has, and has not, been done.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
So, the top is open, and you can't pull the slide out?

Be clear here, please. We aren't there, so can't see what has, and has not, been done.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Top was off. diaphragm was out. slide was stuck.

Boiled the hell out It and nothIng happened. Was going to take it into the lms and see what they thought, but luckily I have a friend who makes his own cider and likes to drink it with friends near motorcycle problems. He was as confused as I was but suggested we take it to our friend who has an unnatural obsession with machine tools. He managed to get the thing out and there is no discernible reason it was stuck in the first place. My thought is that moisture got in there over night and locked it up? Would having a cover help that at all? I dont exactly have a covered space at the apartment to keep it.

Also, when I was trying to tap it loose with a hammer and a piece of softwood (bad idea in my case.) I managed to mar the bottom outside edge of the slide on the carb body. It scratched the inside of the body as we were yanking it out. We dressed the slide with a needle file,but I haven't done anything to the body yet. Steel wool? (I read that somewhere. Maybe the same place I read to use a rubber mallet, so I'm a bit wary of the advice I've previously obtained. ). So what should I do?

I checked the tolerance between the slide and the body. It seems really low(much like the good carb). It turns all the way around and doesn't bind and isn't misshapen at all. Also, I put some "superbike bars" on the 360. I'm sure you will hate them (they might be upside down)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Top was off. diaphragm was out. slide was stuck.

Boiled the hell out It and nothIng happened. Was going to take it into the lms and see what they thought, but luckily I have a friend who makes his own cider and likes to drink it with friends near motorcycle problems. He was as confused as I was but suggested we take it to our friend who has an unnatural obsession with machine tools. He managed to get the thing out and there is no discernible reason it was stuck in the first place. My thought is that moisture got in there over night and locked it up? Would having a cover help that at all? I dont exactly have a covered space at the apartment to keep it.

Also, when I was trying to tap it loose with a hammer and a piece of softwood (bad idea in my case.) I managed to mar the bottom outside edge of the slide on the carb body. It scratched the inside of the body as we were yanking it out. We dressed the slide with a needle file,but I haven't done anything to the body yet. Steel wool? (I read that somewhere. Maybe the same place I read to use a rubber mallet, so I'm a bit wary of the advice I've previously obtained. ). So what should I do?

I checked the tolerance between the slide and the body. It seems really low(much like the good carb). It turns all the way around and doesn't bind and isn't misshapen at all. Also, I put some "superbike bars" on the 360. I'm sure you will hate them (they might be upside down)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I still have no idea wtf you are talking about.

Something got jammed in there or some shit. Does it move now? Cool.

Did you fuck anything else IMPORTANT up while trying to fix it?

No?

Put back in and ride it.

Otherwise fix whatever is wrong.

I've been drinking.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I still have no idea wtf you are talking about.

Something got jammed in there or some shit. Does it move now? Cool.

Did you fuck anything else IMPORTANT up while trying to fix it?

No?

Put back in and ride it.

I've been drinking.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by mlinder

Put back in and ride it.

I've been drinking.
Wish you'd a been there in person, you could have gotten your hands on some homeade cider.

The slide in the carburetor was seized - now its not. The only thing we messed up was the lip on the carburetor slide (the one that holds the diaphragm clip in place). With the new diaphragms the lip isn't doing anything that requires any sort of tolerance so we just tapped it back into place with a ball pine hammer.

for illustration only - mine has the diaphragm removed and doesn't look much like that at all.

Now that its out - its fine and slides fine. I'm worried about the inside of the carburetor body though. there is a scratch from the mar getting dragged out when we pulled it (where the slide fits into the carb - i'm worried about it causing future problems) . I'm wondering what I should use to refinish it. - Right now I'm looking at 600 grit sand paper and a bottle of motor oil and I'm thinking between those two things I could wet sand it down enough that no one would ever know what happened, but I'm just asking if there is a better way. As much as I want to throw the thing together and ride it, I also don't ever want this to happen again. I know that it might, but I would like to do whatever I can to make sure that it doesn't.

And again - we have absolutely no idea what caused it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:Originally posted by mlinder

Put back in and ride it.

I've been drinking.
Wish you'd a been there in person, you could have gotten your hands on some homeade cider.

The slide in the carburetor was seized - now its not. The only thing we messed up was the lip on the carburetor slide (the one that holds the diaphragm clip in place). With the new diaphragms the lip isn't doing anything that requires any sort of tolerance so we just tapped it back into place with a ball pine hammer.

for illustration only - mine has the diaphragm removed and doesn't look much like that at all.

Now that its out - its fine and slides fine. I'm worried about the inside of the carburetor body though. there is a scratch from the mar getting dragged out when we pulled it (where the slide fits into the carb - i'm worried about it causing future problems) . I'm wondering what I should use to refinish it. - Right now I'm looking at 600 grit sand paper and a bottle of motor oil and I'm thinking between those two things I could wet sand it down enough that no one would ever know what happened, but I'm just asking if there is a better way. As much as I want to throw the thing together and ride it, I also don't ever want this to happen again. I know that it might, but I would like to do whatever I can to make sure that it doesn't.

And again - we have absolutely no idea what caused it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
what kind of air filters are you using?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
what kind of air filters are you using?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stock - the bottom end of the side in question looks a little blackish. I also suspect my float might be set a little high (low? whatever would make gas overflow the cylinder slightly) I'll snap a pic the next time I'm working on the bike (i want that to be today, but my hourly based pay checks tell me to wait until later on in the week.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stock - the bottom end of the side in question looks a little blackish. I also suspect my float might be set a little high (low? whatever would make gas overflow the cylinder slightly) I'll snap a pic the next time I'm working on the bike (i want that to be today, but my hourly based pay checks tell me to wait until later on in the week.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts