1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
nice and clean, much cleaner than carpy's stuff.

I just don't understand the 16" rear wheel thing. why? People do all this crossover bobber/ cafe crap, totally retarded. Ditch the fat tire, clubmans and headlight visor. Rig some rear sets and clip-ons and you have a simple, solid 'cafe'.

then again, who cares?

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not crazy about the rear wheel either. builder said it handles like shit with it too

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I duno...how pretty does it 'ave to be when you're busy harpooning whales, yuppies and objects d'art?

To me, Mr. Carpy's stuff is much more balanced than this bike. It does seem very well detailed, but I categorically disagree with the small rear rim...above anything else, it's the wheels that makes a bike. they have to be right. 16" rears hurt my eyes and say "Chopper" which leads to "Chlamydia"

Everything else seems okay. Is it allright if I say Clubman h-bars are kinda dumb?

Edited by - shortshift on Sep 25 2007 04:06:24 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
carpy does one thing that this guy doesn't do - he makes his bikes rideable. With clubmans and stock pegs that bike is a torture rack. If you look at carpy's bikes they vast majority of them have rearsets and a proper riding position.

It is a pretty bike, excellent craftsmanship, and a lot of neat details but it is shit in the rideability department.

It didn't sell last time, what makes him so sure it will sell this time.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
probably nothing, but it is pretty cheap advertising at $30.00 (listing fee) for your shop.

texy

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i'm with rosko and geeto 100%

...despite how clean it is, without rearests, it's simply just another style inspired fashion accessory. every detail my ass.

NCNR

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
That bike is pretty nice, all it needs is rearsets and ditch the silly headlight cover. The rear tire, well, the important thing is that it has one, IMO.

Clearly, he did put a lot of time and money into that bike.

My CB450 project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2827

Edited by - borzwazie on Sep 25 2007 12:05:01 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The 16" rear tire was a popular back in the day mod for cb750 cafe racers and choppers for two reasons:

1) it gave the bike a fat tire look that is more in line with the look of american muscle cars and top fuel dragsters; and

2) it was the easiest way to get a wider tire on the back of a cb750. Back then nobody made a 150 18" motorcycle tire unless it was a drag or roadrace slick. Volkswagens used a 4 and 5 inch tire on 16" steel rims that had somewhat of a rounded profile (perrellis were really close to a motorcycle tire in profile), so people looking to put a beefy tire on their bike in the early 70's would lace the honda hub to a harley rim and get a tire meant for a volkswagen. Believe it or not this was considered somewhat of a performance upgrade, but you also have to consider this was the era of triangular performance and racing motorcycle tires. By 1974 wider rims and tires were more commonly availabe and this became more of a looks thing.

I kinda like the little headlight lip, but I am silly like that.

I wonder if the guy sells seats like that, I could use one. You are right tex, that is good advertising and pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
What about the motor? I am mystified by what people will bid for a shiny cafe racer just based on the seller's assurance that the motor is in good condition. For god's sake, it's a 30+ year old bike, mileage unknown.

Are those bidders just relying on what the listing says: "Engine - is a well maintained , good compression, super strong solid power plant. It runs strong & is super reliable." Translation: "I just bought it two months ago to fix up and resell. I didn't rebuild it, and I have no records of any motor work. It runs right now".

The seller says it has "good compression", but he doesn't give the compression test results. Just pushing down on the kickstarter and saying "Yup, has good compression!" doesn't make it for me. You can't detect one bad cylinder that way.

I would want readings for compression and oil pressure, and to hear it run (to check for tappet noise, cam chain slap, crank bushing knock, etc.). Otherwise, I would discount heavily for the possibility that the motor is a box of shrapnel waiting to happen.

The cosmetic work is worth something (but please, let's stop bashing in the sides of a stock tank and calling it a cafe tank, and the harley wheel makes me hurl, and the chrome headlight visor is as twee as Truman Capote). Most of what he has done is inexpensive compared to motor and trans work. The seller doesn't want you to think about those things. God bless those trusting souls who will bid thousands for a bike like that.

Edited by - steve barker on Sep 25 2007 5:21:48 PM

Edited by - steve barker on Sep 25 2007 5:29:40 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
its a cb750...are you really that worried about the motor? If it isn't weeping oil out the valve cover, isn't knocking, and ins't blowing smoke it will run for as long as you own the bike. If santa had a cb750 he would come more than once a year (do I get any points for the first christmas reference of the fall season?)

Although you do bring up some really good and interesting points steve. I think that is where Benji's reputation got kinda sullied, someone paid stupid money for one of his cb750 cafe jobs (the silver one) and the bike's engine ate itself internally. In that case Benji had claimed to have done a service rebuild on the motor but I can tell you that bike ran like crap and the motor was on its way south the last time I saw it. So it is buyer beware no matter what you do.

Ebay is just scary all around - seen too many people get completly screwed. Someday I will tell y'all about my scary Ebay redneck H1 purchase - right after the emotional scars heal.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Nah, it doesn't really worry me, because I'm not bidding!

It's just that some of these for-profit cafe builders remind me of back in the 70's, when some winner would buy a Mercury Capri and immediately tack on fiberglass fender flares, hood scoops, trunk-lid spoiler, etc., before he even popped the hood to see if it had oil in the crankcase.

OK . . . maybe that winner was me. But that was thirty years ago! I have since sworn off trunk-lid spoilers.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i know that im gunna start a world of shit and we all are going to get way the hell off topic but i need to ask. im realy just a noob looking for an honest answer.....here we go.....is there a difference in the way the bars feel clubman or cafe. someone suggested going to clip ons and rear sets to help the bike be more comfortable? why not just the clubmans and rearsets?
i can atleast see where the money went on that bike. but then again for that money i wouldnt want it anyother way then the way i wanted so i dont see spending 10-15 on a "custom" that you didnt build

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Heres a link to the first time it was listed.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB-Mauromoto-Cafe-1971-KO-CB-750-Cafe_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80647QQihZ001QQitemZ110158257012QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

As to the Clubman/ Clip on debate, either should work fine with rear sets.

Although I had a set of these MotoGuzzi clip ons on a CB 750 and they pushed my hands so far foward that they were very uncomfortable(even with rear sets). I later went to a different front end (GL 1000) and clubmans and they worked like a charm.

16 inch wheels look great on a drag racer. On "Cafe's" they just look odd.
Of course, build your bike the way YOU want it.
DG

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
looks the same but the mauromoto is claiming that the tail on his bike is metal, and also it has too scallops on the side of the tail.

Looks nice but from expirence stuff that fits the honda twins is usually too narrow for the cb750.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
just had another hard look at it and I realized that some of the parts on that bike are pretty cheap and a poor choice for a topshelf bike.

The pipe is a mac - I can see this on a daily rider or a rat bike but on something that nice spend the money and get a kerker.

The filters look like the cheap emgos. Real K&Ns I guess are too good for that bike.

and a cheap generic clubman bar...cu'mon

my feeling is that if you are going to put that much time and effort into a bike spend the money where it counts and get really good components. That firestone is not cheap either, putting money where it doesn't count doesn't make sense either. Bike just look like a cheap bike with fancy bodywork to me now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts