Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 1971 CB175, with a clear title for $375.
It's been beat up pretty well, pipes rusted out, but it's 95% complete (missing side covers over air filters). Its starts and runs alright- but needs a carb clean bad.

Previous owner thought it would be a good idea to lace up some knobbies too!

More pictures to follow as I start the teardown process

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far the plan is to strip it down, seriously clean it and put some paint on as it goes together. Likely somewhat of a cafe style bike, but on a budget so no fancy glass seat or (probably) clip ons or anything. I'd love to have it riding for under $500 total investment. I'll keep ya'll posted

·
Registered
854 Posts
Before taking it apart you may want to get the bike running solid. The worst part about tearing into the bike for paint w/o out is running well is that you may burn through your budget early. Take the time to clean it up properly and put a few miles on it to make sure it is a worthy motor.

Sweet find though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So much for taking it for a spin before teardown. I debated about cleaning carbs before teardown, but just went for it. Also should have cleaned the caked on mud off before bringing it inside (sorry roommates!)

Tuesday- purchased, brought home got it started.
Wed.- Stripped accessories, wiring and controls
Thurs. - Down to bare frame and parts piles

Next step; clean prep and paint frame.

·
Registered
865 Posts
On carpet! Gotta love it LOL

Good luck on this, and whatever you do - PLEASE get rid of those knobbies!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Check out the presents the previous owner left me INSIDE the gas tank. Tank is seems to be solid but ugly otherwise. I think it was spray painted over brush paint over original paint.

YucA- The knobbies will go as soon as my student's budget allows- which I hope will be soon [8D]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Check out the presents the previous owner left me INSIDE the gas tank. Tank is seems to be solid but ugly otherwise. I think it was spray painted over brush paint over original paint.

YucA- The knobbies will go as soon as my student's budget allows- which I hope will be soon [8D]

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sometimes people throw nails/bolts/screws in the tanks with a solution to break up the corrosion. Or they just didnt give a shit...LOL

My tank was in really good shape, but i would put fresh gas in the sucker and it would be orange by the time it got to the carbs. So i did electrolysis on it, and was amazed at how much rust came out of that thing. Electrolysis is almost free to do, and really leaves the inside of your tank ready to go.

Easy way to strip most of that old paint - TAL STRIP! or any other "aircraft grade" stripper (as i mentioned in my reply to you on my thread;)

Ohh and if you go with the scooter tires that were linked up top, i would recommend 2.75 all around. Especially if you want that legit racer look. [8D]

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sometimes people throw nails/bolts/screws in the tanks with a solution to break up the corrosion. Or they just didnt give a shit...LOL

My tank was in really good shape, but i would put fresh gas in the sucker and it would be orange by the time it got to the carbs. So i did electrolysis on it, and was amazed at how much rust came out of that thing. Electrolysis is almost free to do, and really leaves the inside of your tank ready to go.

Easy way to strip most of that old paint - TAL STRIP! or any other "aircraft grade" stripper (as i mentioned in my reply to you on my thread;)

Ohh and if you go with the scooter tires that were linked up top, i would recommend 2.75 all around. Especially if you want that legit racer look. [8D]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did have it running the day i bought it. The previous owner knew nothing and we could not get it running when i bought it at his house. Brought it home, pulled the air cleaners and grabbed my riding boots and kicked the hell out of it. Ran O.K., knowing the carbs need cleaning bad, and it was just hard to hear anything over the completely bombed out exhaust. I don't have major engine concerns right now- I hope that doesn't come back to bite me

Those tires are perfect- and seem to get good reviews.
Is the narrower profile just more "authentic" or what? The knobbies I have now measure like 3.5"+ in the rear so I should be able to clear bigger.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did have it running the day i bought it. The previous owner knew nothing and we could not get it running when i bought it at his house. Brought it home, pulled the air cleaners and grabbed my riding boots and kicked the hell out of it. Ran O.K., knowing the carbs need cleaning bad, and it was just hard to hear anything over the completely bombed out exhaust. I don't have major engine concerns right now- I hope that doesn't come back to bite me

Those tires are perfect- and seem to get good reviews.
Is the narrower profile just more "authentic" or what? The knobbies I have now measure like 3.5"+ in the rear so I should be able to clear bigger.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I don't think you need any wider than the 2.75 front and rear, although I got the 3.0 for the rear of mine.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I don't think you need any wider than the 2.75 front and rear, although I got the 3.0 for the rear of mine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Frame got a degrease, a good scrubbing, lots of work with a flapper wheel and 2 coats of primer.

Next step: Gloss black rattlecan

1 - 20 of 55 Posts